Why am I NOT dropping any pounds???

Options
I am hoping someone can share some tips. I've been sticking to 1200 Cal's a day, Cardio 3 times/week and a Personal Trainer 2/week. I've been stuck at 170 lbs for 3 weeks now...UGH!!!!

Why am I not shedding any pounds??? I don't get it at all.

I've dieted on WW in the past and always lost pounds every week without exercise. Now that I am doing more than EVER! I am loosing nothing.

Feeling so discouraged..HELP!!! :-(

Replies

• la4et
    la4et Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bump up your calorie intake on the days your are working out- honestly!
  • poundcake24
    Options
    It could be that your body is building muscle, which will actually cause you to either gain weight or as you are experiencing.. mantain it. Once those muscles have had time to strengthen and develop they will help you in losing weight. Don't lose hope.. i'm sure that you are very close to turning a corner!!!
  • gangstagirl625
    gangstagirl625 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    or maybe your getting muscle
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    If your diary was public we might be able to provide useful tips.
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    I would definitely say eat more. 1200 is the bare minimum you should be eating. Add in exercise and you might be creating too much of a deficit. You have to eat to lose weight. I learned that the hard way.
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters...increase your calorie intake...at least on the days you work out!!!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    If you're only eating 1200 total with that exercise and your current weight, you probably aren't getting enough calories. Try upping your calories by about 100 per day until you're eating back 1/2-2/3 of your exercise calories. If you're using an HRM to get your exercise calories burned, eat back 2/3-3/4.

When I added more calories to what I was eating after I started working out, I dropped pounds again after having been in a long plateau. And just recently, I'd kind of re-plateaued, so I've started eating even more, and I'm dropping again.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Agree about bumping up your calories.

And, FYI, about building muscle, you can't do it on 1200 calories a day. It just won't happen in any significant or measurable amount at a caloric deficit. While it may happen over time, the results are negligible. Way too often when the scale doesn't move, people blame "muscle gain" and that is just not the case. It is much more likely diet related.
  • oldperson
    oldperson Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am also struggling with dropping the pounds. I workout 5 days a week, these are pretty intense workouts. I was at 1200 calories a day & my trainer said that was not enough calories for the workouts I am doing. This may be your problem as well, have you asked your trainer? I am trying to get my calories up to 1800 a day, which is harder than I thought it would be. I have asked my trainer if she thinks this is enough or not, still waiting on response, but even my Dr said that I needed to increase my calorie intake to 1800. When I workout, I spend around 800-900 calories during my workout, so that's not leaving me very much for my body to sustain off of. I have been doing this workout schedule since December & I have only lost 3lbs, so something is wrong. If you get any info from your trainer, I would appreciate it if you would share that with me & vise versa, if I get something, I will share with you. Good Luck. OP
  • DianaK78
    DianaK78 Posts: 55
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I obviously had it all wrong with the whole calorie intake. I will make the change this week and keep you all posted!

@ OP...I really have not discussed this with my PT. I just thought I needed to be patient. I had heard that it could be muscle weight and that I would see a drop soon. I will talk to my PT tomorrow and keep you posted!

Thank you all =)
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    I agree with everyone, I think you need to increase your calories, at least on the days of your workouts.

Also - I can't see your food diary, but the TYPES of food you are eating can also affect your weight loss. Just remember to cut out a lot of processed foods and focus on your nutrition - you need to fuel your body with healthy foods :)
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I would definitely say eat more. 1200 is the bare minimum you should be eating. Add in exercise and you might be creating too much of a deficit. You have to eat to lose weight. I learned that the hard way.

I agree! Also, about the muscle weight...if your clothes aren't fitting looser, then it probably isn't due to muscle.

I read your post about making changes with your calories, make sure you are eating small meals (200 - 300 cals each) at least 5 -6 times per day. It keeps you from getting too hungry and overeating later PLUS it helps to keep your metabolism going and energy levels up.

Your PT should have told you before beginning a program with him/her about how many calories you should eat on your workout days. That's one of the first things I always did with my clients! Otherwise, they aren't really helping you to reach your goals.

Keep us posted on how it's going! I have a feeling if you tweak your calories this week, you'll see a change by week's end!
  • DianaK78
    Options
    Tina - thanks for your input! I have noticed my clothes are a little looser. I am due for measurements on the 15th. Hopefully I lost some inches.

I have been eating 6 times a day. Not so sure if I am eating the right things but I am never hungry.

7:30am - Atkins Chocolate Shake
    9:30 - 2 slices of Turkey Bacon, 2 servings of egg beater w/ 1/4 cup of reduced fat cheese.
    12:00 - Lean Cuisine (usually no more than 300 cals)
    2:00 - Kashi bar or 100 Cal snack
    4:30 - Cliff Energy bar
    7:00 - Protein Shake (if I just got home from working out), Lean Cuisine Market Creations Pasta with homemade Chicken, turkey or steak.

Your thoughts???
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Bump up your calorie intake on the days your are working out- honestly!

And you are NOT gaining muscle. In is very difficult to ADD muscle and BURN fat at the same time. To gain muscle, you have to be eating more than you are burning.

Also, looking at what you listed, the food is high in sodium. When you are on a reduced calorie, increased exercise diet and are still eating a large amount of sodium, you tend to gain slightly because of stress hormones, healing of muscle tears, heavier load on liver functions, etc. that your body is now required to undergo.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I think you need to eat more real food. My diet is far from perfect but I eat a lot of lean meat and fresh protein. I really don't think all that processed premade stuff is good.
  • Lizzgeorge77
    Lizzgeorge77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You're eating practically no produce - which means you are probably deficient in lots of nutrients and minerals, which could be impacting your body's ability to function at a high level and burn fat. I try to only eat one processed meal or snack per day (a frozen meal, for instance, or a protein bar), and when I do I choose organic/natural brands like Amy's rather than lean cuisine. Kashi is a good one too, though.

Instead of the shakes and protein bars though, eat a piece of fruit with some natural peanut butter - or organic cottage cheese and berries. Plenty of protein and nutrients, minus all the additives and preservatives. Also replacing one frozen meal with a fresh salad is a good way to add veggies. As long as you watch portions and dressing, salads are a great yummy way to eat healthy food! I love spinach with turkey, dried cranberries and feta. Or arugula with pears, goat cheese and pistachios.

Good luck!
  • DianaK78
    Options
    I'm on it! going to get some fruits, veggies and Amy's meals tomorrow!!! Thanks =)
  • ameaston22
    Options
    I've been heavily working out for the past three weeks and I've lost eight pounds. I really believe that the key to my success has been not freaking out about every single calorie that I put in my mouth. In the past, I've been so strict about everything. If I slipped up even once then I would call it a "cheat day" and binge. I've been a lot more flexible this time around. For instance, this morning I ate two homemade cinnamon rolls and then just committed myself to a longer workout this afternoon. I really believe the key to weight loss is finding a balance between eating the foods you like and staying active enough to burn off unnecessary calories. Maybe you're not eating enough! I really believe that if you don't eat enough then you won't burn anything because your body stores everything. However, I'm not an expert...
    4648248.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water
    Eat green veggies at least once a day (and a serving is typically I think a cup?)

If you're working out a lot or just intensely, you probably need to increase your base calories. Also, are you eating your exercise calories?