Should I switch from evening to morning workouts?

Options
I usually work out in the early evening but would like to start working out before work. I think it would keep me more motivated to stay on track. Any tips for making the transition easier? Also should I eat breakfast before or after? Thanks!

Replies

• kaitlinmre
    kaitlinmre Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dihardcheer86
    Options
    I feel better when I do a morning work out! I noticed that if I worked out in the evening, I was too hyper and hot to fall asleep well.
    And they say it's best to eat breakfast within a half hour of waking up. I would eat something light, work out then get ready for work and take a small snack on the way to work to keep your metabolism up :o)
  • BellySoonGone
    Options
    This is a great topic, especially because there are those who can and those who can't work out early in the morning..Question is - are you a "morning person"? I don't want to discourage you - but if you are not, then you may feel that working out in the morning is more of a chore and may in fact chip away at motivation..
  • jamiek89
    jamiek89 Posts: 105
    Options
    I love working out in the mornings! If I leave it until I get home I end up not doing it =(
    I exercise & then eat breakfast. That means I dont eat for about an hour & a half after I wake up but I hate exercising when Ive just eaten & I also find that I eat more when I eat before & after breakfast. Even when its only tiny stuff. Thats just me though, you'll find what works for you! Have fun!
  • humpalc
    humpalc Posts: 140
    Options
    I have to work out in the AM. It is too easy for things to 'pop up' in the evenings with the kids. Then if I do manage an evening workout it is a bonus: ) I do notice that my workout intensity isn't always what it might be when I am more awake, though. I don't eat pre-workout, there are arguments on both sides of that issue.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    For me, morning is a no go. I don't work as hard and even get migraines if I work super hard. I have no motivation and hate hate hate it.

When I go after work, I truly enjoy the workout.

BUT.......I did go for 1 week at 5 am with a friend and lost more weight, felt better all day, slept better at night and most important, never made an excuse not to go cuz it was already DONE!!

If I could I would. :flowerforyou:
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I've tried both. Apparently I'm not a morning person. Early AM runs make me tired the rest of the day. When I run or workout after work (4pm - 6pm is best for me), I've found that I am more mentally prepared AND I get the added bonus of falling asleep way easier when the time comes.

Just goes to show that everyone is unique and you have to find your own best option.