Okay- maybe a dumb question...

Options
What are your techniques for eating less? I feel like I am always hungry. Every time I try doing 5-6 meals per day, I am still starving after the ~200 calories per sitting and am counting down the minutes to the next meal. How long does it take for the body to get used to that? In the meantime I've gone back to 3 meals per day with one snack.

I've worked on gradually increasing my water intake and eating foods with a higher water content to try to fill me up. Any other ideas?

Replies

• kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    Drink lots of water and try to eat foods high in protein and fiber. You can do it and it will get easier.
  • Shaye85
    Shaye85 Posts: 107
    Options
    try eating slower(chew each bite for 20 seconds), drinking water before, inbetween and after a meal.( have a glass each time) and fiber!! it fills you up and keeps your pipes workin great! lol
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Fiber, fiber, fiber.
  • CarolParrish
    Options
    You may be like me and need protein to keep you full. I try to eat a egg at breakfast, chicken patty for lunch, and then some fish or meat at dinner. For a snack I eat almonds.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    what are you eating at each small meal? You need to make sure each small meal is comprised of a balance of protein and carb (lean protein). If it is carb only--that will get you nowhere real fast. Don't be afraid to eat some lean protein. Eating 6 meals a day has been key for me.
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    you need to open your diary so we can see what you're eating Can't tell you anything until then. sorry.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    My best technique... exercise. When I first started logging my food and realized what my ideal calorie intake was I knew that the only way to satisfy my hunger and stay within my range was to burn off calories so I could eat more later. Slowly I have adjusted to a smaller intake and I'm fuller on less.
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Eat each meal very slowly. It takes about 20 minutes to register that you are full. Eating slowly not only helps the full feeling, but also helps time to go by quicker between meals to where you won't be waiting for the next meal. Drink lots and lots and lots of water to help you feel full. Finally, eat foods that are high in protein and that don't have empty calories.
  • darnold67
    darnold67 Posts: 36
    Options
    Eat your 5 meals a day and drink alot of water. Try rinsing your mouth out with water when you feel hungry. I had a coach tell me that the other day. Also I drink a shake called Shakeology and it REALLY helps with hunger and those cravings!
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean!!! it took me about a week to get adjusted to it. It gets easier I promise! I do about 240 calories a meal, and honestly after your body does get used to it, you wlill feel like you are constantly eating. Oatmeal in the morning really helps tie me over, especially when I first started. Brown rice also really helped at lunch!! Water is really important too, I always try to drink a class before I eat anything. Just try to keep with it, it comes easy and like its second nature after a while :) GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite meals is a 4 oz chicken breast, grilled, a medium baked sweet potato with cinnamon, and a non-starch type veggie. Holy smokes..I am stuffed for hours. And the meal comes in around 300-400 cals depending on how I cook the chicken or if I add butter to the potato
  • jennifir
    jennifir Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a difference on how I start my day out with food. if I make a mini bagel with an egg than I stay satisfied throughout the day because I'm not starving at each meal. I hope that makes sense and helps. I've learned to listen to my body. Figure out what makes me feel tired and peps me up. In time, you will as well.
  • dihardcheer86
    Options
    I like the quaker weight control packets for either lunch or breakfast.
    Mostly I'll do yogurt with frozen fruit for breakfast with my coffee. Then the oatmeal for lunch. Small snack before dinner. Then another small one after dinner... I was doing real well like that, I should go back to that!! Thanks for reminding me :o)
  • dawniewest
    dawniewest Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you eat a little bit "heavier" meal in the morning, first thing, Like oatmeal with fruit, or egg with high fiber toast, you will be less hungry at the end of the day which is when a lot of us have the urge to binge, and you will not be as hungry 3 or 4 hours after you eat breakfast, so your snack will be more filling! A protien shake with fruit blended in is a great breakfast option too! The protien helps you to feel satieated for longer!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and try to eat foods high in protein and fiber. You can do it and it will get easier.

This is what I focus on, it seems to work great for me!
  • Carru1
    Carru1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I read in Fitness once that most people in the age of sugary soda confuse their thirsty signal with their hunger signal so definitely drink lots more water. Fiber helps slow down the digestive process and keeps you fuller longer and my nutritionist seconded the combining of a carb and protein (ex. apple and low fat peanut butter or a few almonds and an orange). I have a whole list she printed off and gave me, I think you can google for it.
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    eat lots of fibre and protein! i drink tons of hot water every day as well, every time my tummy grumbles i down a glass of hot water (sometimes with a couple tea leaves thrown in), and that settles it down a bit. when you juuuust start dieting you may feel a bit of discomfort anyway, until your stomach shrinks. do your best! take up a really interesting hobby like embroidery (i love this), photography, or something, to keep your mind off of your hunger :)
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you are still fairly new to trying to eat less. You will find if you continue eating smaller portions that your stomach will shrink (it was actually stretched to begin with), which will help you feel full faster and longer. As others have said, eating food and snacks high in fiber helps a lot as well. If you consume a meal of just carbs, it doesn't take long at all for your stomach to digest it.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I eat all day long (more than 6x a day) and I exercize so I can eat more and I have my settings at 1lb per week loss so my daily intake is higher and I find I lose more when I eat more.

I also drink of average 16 glasses of water a day (8oz each) so approx 4 liters. I do fill up on protein and fiber and as many others have said here already.
  • kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My wife always does a 24 he fast when she starts to feel like she's never getting full. She says it shrinks her stomach. I don't know if it's true, but she's never had a weight problem.