Mangoes!

Options
Today I got a mango at the store because I'm trying to incorporate new fruits into my diet. Now, when it comes to mangoes, I've only had them in juices, smoothies, or little cups where they're pre-sliced. I don't really have a huge idea of what I can do with them.

Any yummy ideas for making this fruit a part of my diet?

Replies

• GolfLady10
    GolfLady10 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love mangoes also when they are in season. Come summer we have mango several times a week. I cut it up with other fruit and make a fruit salad. My family loves this.
  • fink21061
    fink21061 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have only eaten them raw. DONT eat the peel. I heard it can make you sick but I dont know if it is true. But they are very good just as a snack.
  • Carru1
    Carru1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I saw my coworker cut hers in half then turn the half inside out and score the flesh then scoop each piece out.
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    mangoes are my all time favorite fruit!! They are delicious all by themselves. I love to cut them up into slices and sprinkle some ceyanne peppper or other spicy seasoning on them, sounds weird, but its sooo good.

Here is a link to my favorite mango chutney http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/mango-chutney-recipe/index.html
    It is a bit of a process to make, but it is soooo good. I top everything with it, chips, crackers, fish, burritos...the best!

Love making smoothies of course.

THey are actually really good in salads, like an apple or orange would be.

I have dipped them in melted chocolate before, not so good on the calories, but delicious.

When I was into drying fruit, they were my fav for that also.

I make fruit kabobs just to make eating fruit fun and exciting at parties or with kids

They are obviously a great addition to fruit salads

Great with cottage cheese and a bit of spice (I like tobasco for that)

I have used some recipes from this site: http://www.freshmangoes.com/mangos.html

Hope that helps give you an idea what could be done with this awesome fruit.
    And this reminds me that I have one in the kitchen that is ready to eat!!
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I am a hug mango fan. I love eating mango all by itself.
  • endordb
    endordb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You can dice them with onions, tomatoes, peppers, and spices to make mango salza. Google it and you will find tons of recipes. Choose one where they give you the calories per serving. Very good on black bean burritos!
  • Cori615
    Cori615 Posts: 100
    Options
    Mango and chili powder so good
  • Wakx
    Wakx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    This is how you eat mango as a regular fruit (image on left):
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a5/Mango_and_cross_sections.jpg

Mango is good in any salad or cooked dish where it could replace another fruit (apple, pineapple). It goes particularly well with chicken. Fry chicken in pan, add slices of mango in the last minute. Serve with chopped coriander hmmmmm
  • habibti
    habibti Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Google "quinoa mango black bean salad" and check out the various recipes. l looove that flavor combination! :love:
  • CoastieGMWife
    Options
    When I have a lot of ripe mangos I like to puree them with lime juice and a bit of lime zest then spread it out on parchment lined cookie sheets and "dry out" in a 200 degree oven for a couple of hours. Its a great fruit leather!
  • holly0623
    holly0623 Posts: 66
    Options
    When I had mango a few weeks ago, I could not figure out how to cut it! There was a big pit in the middle and I couldn't get the knife through... (I felt kinda dumb about that) so i just decided to take a bite out it like an apple, and it was delicious! Now, everytime I have one I eat it just like that. With peel, and around the pit. I still need to figure out how to cut it though..
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Mango is so taste, I just eat it by itself. To cut is, here is how: http://www.wikihow.com/Cut-a-Mango
  • mamawildbear
    mamawildbear Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    LOVE mangos! Here's a good video on how to cut them up: http://youtu.be/qd7onfkw1iU
    However, don't throw out the pit. I peel off the remaining skin and gnaw and suck on the pit until all the juicy bits are gone.

The video shows the normal variety of mango sold in most U.S. stores. If your store has the Ataulfo mango from Mexico, which is smaller and solid yellow, give it a try. I find those are yummier and the quality is more consistent.

We usually just eat them plain but you can also freeze them and use them in smoothies - they make the smoothies extremely creamy. You could probably find a good mango salsa recipe and serve on fish or shrimp.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Not only delish, but it reduces your cholesterol as well.
  • monicaP413
    monicaP413 Posts: 165
    Options
    Mangos are my favorite fruit. I eat them raw. There is a large flattish pit in the middle (as you know), so stand the mango up on a cutting board, start cutting it down the middle, but off to the side a bit (so that you are cutting one large/flat side off), when you feel like you hit the seed move the knife out a little. You are trying to cut as much fruit off the seed as possible. Do that on both sides of the seed and then from the inside, slice in rows both ways, but not deep enough to cut the skin. Then pop it inside out and you will have little mango squares attached to the skin that you can just eat. I eat the rest of the fruit left on the seed too, but don't eat the skin. I don't know if that was even understandable or not! Sorry if it wasn't, but I tried!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Fresh juicy mangos with lime juice squeezed onto them.

sweet and sour at its best
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Mmm, I had one last week - I used half of it blended with some natural youhurt for a breakfast smoothie, and the other half I mashed with a teaspoon of clear honey to make a mango coulis - I piled this into meringue nests, topped with some finely chopped crystallised ginger and some flaked almonds. Yum!