Remind me how bad even diet soda is please

Options

Replies

• Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I know we all walk different paths, but in my experience giving up diet soda cleared some serious and scary health issues. After several tests including MRIs and a nasty needle test, my regular doctor insisted that I lay off the soda for at least two weeks. I thought he was full of crap, but figured I didn’t have much to lose at that point. After four days, the symptoms were all but gone. I’ve been soda free for a year now and don’t miss it at all. I tried one about two months ago and after such a long time, I realized they don’t actually taste so good. :)
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    How about this: My step dad drank 2 2 liters of diet coke a day for years. He died of a heart attack at 48.

Diet soda is TERRIBLE for you.

My great grandma only drank diet soda and lived to be 104,im not kidding she loved that stuff
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Coke will clean oil off drives and sperm on contact; so imagine what it's doing to your body. The fake sugars also cause you to crave real sugars, so it really messes with your willpower!
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Contains aspartame which is rat poison. Puts holes in your brain. Enjoy.

Aspartame has been found to be safe for human consumption by more than ninety countries worldwide, with FDA officials describing aspartame as "one of the most thoroughly tested and studied food additives the agency has ever approved" and its safety as "clear cut". The weight of existing scientific evidence indicates that aspartame is safe at current levels of consumption as a non-nutritive sweetener.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    I drink coke zero sometimes once a day sometimes every few days,I have never noticed and increase in cravings or anything of that nature
  • boomstick13s
    Options
    i gave up diet soda (diet mt dew) for new years. the caffeine and the sodium keep my blood pressure high. losing 40 lbs did not change my blood pressure at all, but cutting out the diet soda dropped it enough to get me under the line.
  • T_William
    T_William Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Again those against it often wil find a 1 case in 10,000,000 and say thats a common occurence or it will cause premature death easy. I have 1 small glass or a can every other day i'd say, and drink over a litre of water every day. I'd regard that as a happy medium of drinking it and none, its small amounts and I have gone weeks without it too.
  • DowntimeDesigns
    DowntimeDesigns Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Again those against it often wil find a 1 case in 10,000,000 and say thats a common occurence or it will cause premature death easy. I have 1 small glass or a can every other day i'd say, and drink over a litre of water every day. I'd regard that as a happy medium of drinking it and none, its small amounts and I have gone weeks without it too.

Thats how I feel about it.

I'm not a doctor or dentist or a carpenter (not that that has anything to do with it), but I think all things in moderation. I may have a Diet Dr. Pepper today, but I will have it in addition to the 3 liters of water I drink while at work (8-5). I won't reach for one when I'm thirsty because then i will just down it. I prefer to have it around two hours or so before my lunch break or around the 3:00 hour when time seems to be creeping by. I won't drink it out of the can, but pour it into a glass with ice and drink it slowly and enjoy it.

Saturday night I was CRAVING some ice-cream at like 10:30 at night, and I waited for it to pass and it didn't. I grabbed a DDP and slowly drank, it helped curb the ice cream craving and got me back on track.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    God must really love stupid people, because he certainly put enough of them on this Earth. :huh: Some people will believe anything that they're told.
  • BreakingUpWithObesity2013
    Options
    Diet Mt Dew is my weakness...I've tried to go without it and I made it 3 weeks...I took a nutrition class a while back and the research I did stated that it takes 23 bottles of water to get the chemicals from one can of pop out of your system....thats craziness...but I am not strong enough to go w/o pop at all =( it tastes way too good.
  • ultimategar
    ultimategar Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Soft drink companies spend millions creating demand for their useless products in third world countries, by buying their product you are supporting the expolitation of the planet's most vulnearble people. Drink water.
  • bullmastifflover
    bullmastifflover Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    God must really love stupid people, because he certainly put enough of them on this Earth. :huh: Some people will believe anything that they're told.

You have to wonder about people who have to resort to name calling. Comical that you are trying to insult somebody but wind up insulting yourself. You haven't done all of this research on your own...so you obviously belong to the group of people "who will believe anything that they're told".
  • TessaL221
    TessaL221 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Momma says diet soda is the devil....

I agree with that and can't get into diet... I just limit my intake on regular, because sugar is still better than aspartame!
  • bullmastifflover
    bullmastifflover Posts: 128 Member
    Options

Thats how I feel about it.

I'm not a doctor or dentist or a carpenter (not that that has anything to do with it), but I think all things in moderation. I may have a Diet Dr. Pepper today, but I will have it in addition to the 3 liters of water I drink while at work (8-5). I won't reach for one when I'm thirsty because then i will just down it. I prefer to have it around two hours or so before my lunch break or around the 3:00 hour when time seems to be creeping by. I won't drink it out of the can, but pour it into a glass with ice and drink it slowly and enjoy it.

Saturday night I was CRAVING some ice-cream at like 10:30 at night, and I waited for it to pass and it didn't. I grabbed a DDP and slowly drank, it helped curb the ice cream craving and got me back on track.

Talking to organic synthetic chemists about a synthetic chemical makes more sense than talking to a doctor, dentist or carpenter.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    Honestly I would have to say if you notice diet drinks having an adverse effect on you then you should stop,untill I see something that says without a doubt this is bad for you (like ciggaretes) i will not put so much faith in what they found in mice.
    Nobody is going to react the same to something,I say if you see that it gives you cravings,high blood pressure bloating then by all means quit
  • Margy68
    Margy68 Posts: 21
    Options
    Honestly I quit eating unhealthy fatty food, quit smoking, don't party like a rock star anymore and now I have to give up my diet Pepsi! I just don't know if I can do it. A girl's got to have one or two little vices.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    If you're the kind of person that drinks soda and gets a craving to eat sweets or junk food then you have to give it up. If you're the kind of person that can go without drinking soda at all but enjoy having 1 every once in a while then there is no need to give it up. That's really all there is to it.
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    SOURCE: Journal of Neuropathology & Experimental Neurology,
    55(11):1115-23, 1996

Increased Brain Cancer Rates are at least partially suspected to be caused by the diet drink ingredient ASPARTAME (also known as Nutra-Sweet). Concern arises as new research shows diet drink sweeteners can cause mutagenic damage.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options

You have to wonder about people who have to resort to name calling. Comical that you are trying to insult somebody but wind up insulting yourself. You haven't done all of this research on your own...so you obviously belong to the group of people "who will believe anything that they're told".
    And I suppose that you have done the research that shows that aspartame is actually rat poison? I'm sorry, but when somebody throws up a blatantly untrue statement like that and actually believes it, I feel compelled to comment on it. Comparing aspartame to arsenic or warfarin has to be one of the stupidest comments that I have heard today. (Although the day is still young...)
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    well, given that monsanto used to own it.... they claim it's safe, but when the say it, their s whistles like a ssssssssssssssssssnake