2 questions

Options
1. How often should I weigh myself? I have a very bad problem of weighing myself up to 6 times a day!

2. I have lost 5 pounds since I joined MFP and I have lost 12 all together. I measured myself on 2/21 and again last night and I have lost 1/2 inch in my stomach but I gained a inch in my hips. Is that normal?

Replies

• wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    1. Most people say once a week. I, personally can't wait that long, so I have to do it once a day :)
    2. It could be normal if you gained some muscle. I wouldn't worry about it. Keep up your good work, and see what happens :)

Good luck!
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    I weigh once a week and measure once a month and as for the shift in weight it best be normal cos my inches go up and down like a yo yo x
  • carolyne2
    carolyne2 Posts: 109
    Options
    Only weigh once a week, same day, same time of day and wearing the same clothes if possible, As for the inch loss, are you working out? that may make a difference.

Congratulations on your success so far you are doing brilliantly.
  • hkuiuc99
    hkuiuc99 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    1. I would say to weigh yourself once a week on the same day every week, however, I weigh myself every morning because I can't wait that long usually....

2. I would say that it is normal for you measurements to fluctuate while you are losing weight due to exercise, etc. If you are concerned you can evaluate what exercises you are doing and change things up. I am no expert. Just my opinion.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    1. once a week, at most, first thing in the morning

2. You probably didn't gain an inch, it is next to impossible to measure the exact same spot each time.
  • JenniferTasso
    JenniferTasso Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Weigh in once a week...pick any day during the week, My day is Saturday....do it first thing in my morning...after you use the restroom, and before you eat or drink....wear either the same clothes everytime, or don't wear any at all....As far as the measurements. I would not be worried about that...simply because my arms are bigger now, than what they were, but they are more toned than before...I hope that helps
  • Wolffeathers
    Options
    Even if you weigh yourself daily, doing it many times in the day isn't going to help. You gain up to five pounds on average through the day. The best time to weigh yourself is right before breakfast, after you've done your duty in the bathroom.
  • LOVEthighSELF
    LOVEthighSELF Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure--- sometimes I will have the same thing happen to me especially with the hip measurement. Mostly likely you are not measureing in the exact same spot. Also I have a habit of pulling on that tape which can give false measurements. Make sure the tape is loosly draped around but taught.
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    if you don't want to drive yourself crazy, only weigh once a week, on the same day of the week and in the morning first thing after you use the restroom before you do anything else. take you measurements after that and enter all.
  • ambernwms
    ambernwms Posts: 27
    Options
    I think I will start once a week on sundays and measure once a month. I go to the gym 3-5 times a week and workout for 2 hours and sit in the sauna for 15 mins I also eat 1200 calories a day!
  • Wolffeathers
    Options
    Remember to eat back your calories till your net calories are at 1200. That could more than explain you gaining inches. Also, the sauna is really good for relaxing, but it won't help you on permanent weight loss. Only on temporary loss for the day, as your losing water weight, which you'll gain back when you drink.