Should you exercising when you’re sick?

Options
I'm coming down with the flu (sore throat, stuffy head, headache) and was wondering if anyone knows: Should you work out when you’re sick? Light exercise OK or are you better off with none at all?

Also - anyone got some homeopathic recipes they'd like to share?

Thx!

Replies

• omgitsgarry
    omgitsgarry Posts: 138
    Options
    No, you should rest. Exercising when you are sick will only make you feel worse and delay your body from getting better. Take it easy for a few days and ease back into working out slowly. Hope you feel better soon!
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Well I asked this myself a few weeks ago and unfortunatly I'm STILL sick. Personally I say take it easy until you feel better, your just going to take longer to heal if you over do it.

Also dont' be alarmed if it goes on for a lot longer then you'd imagine, I've been sick three weeks and went to my dr.'s on friday, he said bugs this year seem to be lasting months instead of days or weeks.
    I STILL can't workout without feeling like dying.
  • ilvpsu
    ilvpsu Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    She's right! I think people often thought they could "sweat it out" by exercising, but your body is busy using energy to fight whatever virus you got cooking, so take a day off. Lots of non-caffeine fluids. Feel better soon, but don't push it in the exercise category. Maybe if you feel up to it in a day or 2, take an easy stroll outside, weather permitting!
  • SarahMA
    SarahMA Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks for the advice - I think you're right! I've heard a lot of people say that the bug this year is hanging on for weeks at a time.

Hope you fell better soon!
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm coming down with the flu (sore throat, stuffy head, headache) and was wondering if anyone knows: Should you work out when you’re sick? Light exercise OK or are you better off with none at all?

Also - anyone got some homeopathic recipes they'd like to share?

Thx!

Recovery then exercise. There will always time to exercise, but not if you are sick. Your body needs to use its resources to heal and recover. Give yourself the time to do what your body needs to do. You will know when you are ready to get back to the gym/trail.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Rest. Your body needs to channel all of its energy to fight whatever bug you've got.