Cutting out 500 cal a day ... good plan?

Options
Currently here are my stats:
Height: 6'1
Starting Weight: 287
Current Weight: 281.5

Started at the first of this year.

According to the app, I should consume 1900 calories a day. I want to help myself loss weight faster without going into 'starvation mode'. I also work out, although I only got to go to the gym once last week; I typically do about an hour on the treadmill and (according to nike plus) burn 750-850 calories.

So what I was thinking was this:
On days I do not work out: consume 1400 calories (500 less).
On days I do work out: consume around normal amount (1900). Just don't tap into workout calories.

Would this be a good idea?

Replies

• desireeanne
    Options
    i aim to consume 1200 a day but most days i dont get to that
  • smitty328
    smitty328 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I think that sounds like a good idea!!! But I am no expert either!=)
  • magenta4c
    magenta4c Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    just spoke to a friend who is a personal trainer. he told me never to go under 1200 cals as it will eat your muscle mass because it is energy your body needs for vital functions.

i am on a plateau at the moment for 6 weeks because i didn't eat enough on workout days.
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    you might want to consult a dietitian. It really isn't as simple as saying i'm going to eat less... your body has needs and by eating 500 less than what is recommended you might be falling short and sending yourself into starvation mode. Each person is different but you might be surprised by what he/she would have to say.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I thing that sounds good too. However Im not an expert either.
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    i aim to consume 1200 a day but most days i dont get to that

I'm sorry but this isn't healthy. At the calorie amount you are actually burning lean muscle (not good) and storing fat. This is what is called "starvation mode". You might not want to be recommending this to people.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options

According to the app, I should consume 1900 calories a day. I want to help myself loss weight faster without going into 'starvation mode'. I also work out, although I only got to go to the gym once last week; I typically do about an hour on the treadmill and (according to nike plus) burn 750-850 calories.

On days I do work out: consume around normal amount (1900). Just don't tap into workout calories.

Actually, no I don't think that's a good idea. As a male, we require more fuel for our bodies than women do. If you are 6'1, 280, you need more fuel than 1400 calories a day. MFP already builds in a deficit. If you said you wanted to lose a pound a week, they are already shorting you 500 calories before you ever exercise to get to the target of 1900. Basically, you would be shorting yourself 1000 calories a day on days you don't work out. And, if you burn more than 500 calories in a workout, then you'll still be shorting yourself 1000 calories. That's not healthy for someone your size.

I have gotten to where I am getting very close to maintenance mode and am aiming to lose 1/2 pound a week now. I have 2000 calories a day to eat and I am 5'8, 169. You need to eat more and you need to fuel your body by eating the calories you burn through exercise.

I understand the desire to see quick results and trust me; since you have a decent amount to lose, you WILL see strong results sticking to the plan MFP has put in place for you. Don't be in such a hurry. This is a lifestyle change and is a marathon, not a sprint. PLEASE reconsider your plan or, if you are determined, talk to your doctor about it first. I really fear you would be doing yourself more harm than good.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would suggest staying with MFP's numbers but FYI, as a man you should not go below 1500 NET cals, 1500 plus the cals you burn. So the lowest you should go on non-workout days is 1500 and days you do workout eat 1500 plus your calories burned. At 1500 you should lose 2.8 lbs/week (which is aggressive. I would suggest sticking with MFP but if you don't, I def would no go lower than 1500.

FYI: Faster weightloss is not the best way to lose 1-2lbs a week is fairly aggressive and losing too fast can, and most likely will, lead to muscle loss. The slower you lose the less likely you are to burn off muscle.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Remember that MFP already has accounted for a loss of weight over the week in giving you 1900 calories based on your goals. Be they 1/2 lb, 1 lb, 1 1/2 lb or 2 lbs a week.

I can say that I'm eating healthier than when I started but I just can't see for myself 1500 calories or less being "enough" long term. When I started I had a lot of 2000 calorie days, they've been cut almost out other than when we dine out, now when I go too far under my calories I really find cravings for junk / quick fixes climb.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Ooops sorry I didnt know you were a man so what he said!

Actually, no I don't think that's a good idea. As a male, we require more fuel for our bodies than women do. If you are 6'1, 280, you need more fuel than 1400 calories a day. MFP already builds in a deficit. If you said you wanted to lose a pound a week, they are already shorting you 500 calories before you ever exercise to get to the target of 1900. Basically, you would be shorting yourself 1000 calories a day on days you don't work out. And, if you burn more than 500 calories in a workout, then you'll still be shorting yourself 1000 calories. That's not healthy for someone your size.

I have gotten to where I am getting very close to maintenance mode and am aiming to lose 1/2 pound a week now. I have 2000 calories a day to eat and I am 5'8, 169. You need to eat more and you need to fuel your body by eating the calories you burn through exercise.

I understand the desire to see quick results and trust me; since you have a decent amount to lose, you WILL see strong results sticking to the plan MFP has put in place for you. Don't be in such a hurry. This is a lifestyle change and is a marathon, not a sprint. PLEASE reconsider your plan or, if you are determined, talk to your doctor about it first. I really fear you would be doing yourself more harm than good.
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    1,400 or 1,500 cals per day would be a pretty steady weight loss that's healthy
  • pancakelizard
    Options
    Thanks for the info on MFP having a built-in deficit. If it stated that in the mobile app, I must not have remembered that.

So if I work out, is it best to get to the goal as much as possible (1900 calories).
    But if I work out, is it ok to do the above (get to the goal as much as possible) but don't consume the workout calories?

I know this might sound noobish but just want to make sure that calories worked off aren't suppose to be consumed.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I always eat my workout calories and it has always worked for me... I want to keep my NET consumed at my goal... so if your goal is 1900 and you burn 400... you've only netted 1500 and would need to eat 400 calories more to make your net consumed your goal... therefore on days you workout and burn 400 calories, you will actually consume 2300 calories.

Your muscles need nutrition to repair and build... your internal organs need nutrition to work as efficiently as possible. Not eating your 'exercise calories' is only doing your body and your metabolism a disservice.

*Edit to add- no one should be eating their exercise calories- or any of their calories- with processed, sodium filled, processed CRAP. Not saying you are doing this but it irks me to no end to see someone eat 1200 calories of McDonald's, burn 300 calories "cleaning" and then cry on the message boards about why they are not losing weight*
  • smitty328
    smitty328 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don't think any of us will starve by eating 1200 cals...if so I wouldn't be 168lbs!!! LOL....Everyone's body is different. Do what workd for you and that you can keep up with. =) Good Luck!!!!
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Ok, for all of you that have responded in this thread saying that it is ok for the OP to eat 1200-1300 calories daily, NO IT IS NOT!!!! He is male!! Men need more than the basic 1200 calories to fuel their body's basic needs!! Please stop saying that that is ok. You are spreading misinformation because you assume that the original post was written by a woman.