MFP Runner's Club - September 25

Options
Good morning runners!

I am taking today off to get ready for 8 miles tomorrow morning.

Happy running. :smile:

Replies

• Slender1
    Options
    Good morning runners!

I am taking today off to get ready for 8 miles tomorrow morning.

Happy running. :smile:
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    I ran for 30 min this morning and did some stregnth training.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Nice and cool here this morning. Ran 6.5 miles. Enjoy your run today! :smile:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Hello runners!! It's cross training day for me- I'm going to do some Turbo Jam and Ab Jam!! Tonight will be Back & Biceps w/ my dh. I was just worn out last night and didn't have the energy to bring it! (had a dumb headache!)

Have a good one!

Jess
  • MrsDanceBartley
    MrsDanceBartley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Long day at work so no run for me today.

5K race on Saturday.:smile:
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I listened to my exhausted body this morning and got an extra hour of sleep instead of hitting the gym. I will do a boot camp DVD tonight instead, then walk tomorrow morning. 5K run for me on Saturday too.
    Happy Thursday! :flowerforyou:
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Afternoon runners:

Got in a 4k run this morning in summer conditions! Did some sprints as well. Felt good for my sore quads, just don't ask me to go down stairs!
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    I suffered through an easy 4 miles today. :ohwell: My body is tired; must have been that interval training yesterday.

Best of luck on the 5Ks this weekend.

Good running all!:flowerforyou:
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Did a 6 mile tempo run today:

1 mile warm-up
    4 miles @ a 7.6 pace
    1 mile cool down

Enjoy your day, runners!!!!!
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    No clue what a tempo is. Can someone enlighten me?

Got a 5k on saturday, so I'll be running for time today.
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys, I just started running again two nights ago. I came across this thread and was intrigued.
    So first I had to figure out the conversion from a mile to a kilometre (Canadian Girl here) was and I am totally impressed. I ran about 2.5km (1.5 miles) pretty good for a second run. Then I saw 4 miles? Blown away. I thought my lungs were going to explode when I got home :laugh:

Congratulations all and good luck.
  • runnerdad
    Options
    No clue what a tempo is. Can someone enlighten me?

Got a 5k on saturday, so I'll be running for time today.

Basically, a tempo run is a training run that approximates race pace, or slightly slower, depending on the distance. Your pace should be significantly faster than on a long distance run or recovery run day. (As a personal example, I run 10 K at 8:15 /mile pace, I run my long training runs at 9:15-9:30 pace, and (try to) do my tempo runs at 8:15 to 9:00, depending on the distance). It just helps change up your pace so that a) you will get fitter and faster, and b) you get used to running different paces, so, come race day, your body isn't totally shocked if you try to pick up your usual pace. Check out this website to help you estimate your pace. http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm
    Hope this helps.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Tom-thanks for the information. I know I run 7:41 on a the splits in a 5k, as a result of my last timed run.

My last race was 25:07 (3 weeks ago) and my last run (4 days ago) was 23:50. Can I improve this much this fast and maintain it?
    What kind of time should I expect on Saturday? I'll be timing myself today, but I push a 50 lb stroller, so I'll have no bearing on what time I should have.

Do you guys usually do better in races than on the road? Is a tempo basically pushing yourself as fast as you can go and racing the traffic? What should I aim for on a tempo if my road time is a sub 8 min?

Tom-if you do 5k's, what is your time then?

Tom-I'm going to have to spend some time deciphering that website. And how do you guys measure out your miles if you are on the road? Or do you do a track?
  • kasch
    kasch Posts: 35
    Options
    finished 6 with my hubby at lunch today. good run with my last mile at a 8:40! marine corps marathon
    only 30 days away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • melissa73
    Options
    Well I ran 2 miles today.. Haven't been able to do that for a while. I walked 2 more miles and in all under 50min. I'm getting better.

Hope everyone has a great day.
  • runnerdad
    Options
    Tom-thanks for the information. I know I run 7:41 on a the splits in a 5k, as a result of my last timed run.

My last race was 25:07 (3 weeks ago) and my last run (4 days ago) was 23:50. Can I improve this much this fast and maintain it?
    What kind of time should I expect on Saturday? I'll be timing myself today, but I push a 50 lb stroller, so I'll have no bearing on what time I should have.
    {If you are running 7:41 routinely, depending on how hard you are already pushing the pace, I'd try to run 7:35 and see how that works for you. You can always pick it up on the home stretch if you think you have it left in you.}

Do you guys usually do better in races than on the road? Is a tempo basically pushing yourself as fast as you can go and racing the traffic? What should I aim for on a tempo if my road time is a sub 8 min?
    [-I do tend to run faster in a race than during a training run. You get that adrenaline rush at the start, you usually have made a point to get some rest and eat right leading up to the race, and you tend to get pulled along by the faster runners. (You do have to watch that, if I go all out at the start, I tend to fade out ,so be conscious of your pace at the beginning). I run a (sort of) tempo run (5-8 miles) every Thursday - usually ends up being a little slower (15-20 seconds /mile) than I planned, because you get talking, you know how it goes. Goal is to do 10K race pace (8:15 for me for shorter tempos, add 20-30 seconds/mile for the longer runs). I wouldn't go all out, certainly not every week anyway, because you are likely to end up with an injury. If you routinely do a sub 8 without going all out, that is likely a good starting point for your longer tempo runs, and try to take off 15-20 seconds/mile for shorter (3-4 mile) tempos. } {Long runs on the weekend 10-15 miles, add a minute to your 10K pace)

Tom-if you do 5k's, what is your time then? {24:30 (just under 8:00 pace)}

Tom-I'm going to have to spend some time deciphering that website. And how do you guys measure out your miles if you are on the road? Or do you do a track?
    {-I run on the local high school track on Tuesdays when I do my short interval work. Most of my road miles are on a local hiking/biking trail, so I have mile markers every 1/2 mile, but I usually wear my Timex Ironman HRM/GPS/stopwatch, so I can tell at a glance what my HR is, my current pace and my mileage}
    Hope this helps
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    4 miles this morning -- back home and back in the gym today!
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I did 1.66 miles this morning as a taper for my triathlon on Sunday.
  • jessmomof3
    Options

Tom-if you do 5k's, what is your time then?

You got some great advice from Tom! When I was running faster (a couple yrs ago, before I started dealing w/ tendonitis), my fastest 5K was 24:02. I was doing interval training, and speedwork (around 6:15 - 6:30 pace for 1/4 mile). My fastest mile was a 7 min mile. I'd love to get back to that! : grumble: I have a Garmin that I use on the road, but a track would be great if you have one nearby! Good luck! I ALWAYS go faster in races, the crowd and adrenaline get me going!

Jess
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I also did Back & Biceps (P90X) w/ my dh when he got home from work. And then swam 1,200 yds while my girls were at swimming lessons. Arms are tired tonight!!

Jess