Water Running Anyone???

Options
I'm interested in trying this as a circuit training component to my running training. I love running, but I love the water and think it'd be a fun workout. I've read a few articles about it, but was wondering if anyone on here does it. If so, do you do it in the swimming lanes in the pool such as at the Y? Also, do fitness places carry those waist floations or do I need to buy one and take it with?
If anyone has any advice, it'd be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I can't help you other than to comment regarding water running in general. When I ran track in college, occasionally we'd do a water workout and they were some of the most exhausting workouts we did. Lots of running in chest high water, also in the deep end with the belts you mentioned. We'd also do a lot of jumping up out of the water.
    I think it would be a great addition to your running program
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Gives me shin splints.

Edit- I should add that I am a wuss and my lack of dedication to water training shouldn't discourage you.
    Ok, I feel better now.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I used to teach a class called Water Walk and Jog at the local Y. We had dedicated lanes for the class, and provided the floatation belts, barbells, etc.

If your local Y doesn't supply the gear, you can buy it here pretty reasonably.

http://www.kiefer.com/GroupDetails/GroupLanding2.aspx?gid={5aae581c-7c3b-49fd-a264-b781bcdd3ae2}&SearchType=_GROUP_SEARCH&GroupName=Flotation,+Resistance+&+Weight&bcrumb=false&
  • alexj8403
    alexj8403 Posts: 38
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone! I'll check with the local Y! :)
  • QuikImpulse
    Options
    sounds a little like what you see all the grandmas doing at the Y ;)
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Actually QuikImpulse, these classes are different than those and can be pretty tough depending on the instructor. I'd like to see you survive one. ;)