There must be a better way to measure food...

Options
There must be a better way to measure food. Not meat. I can do meat just fine. I"ve got my digital food scale and don't have a problem with that.

What I have an issue with is vegetables. I will do tomato slices or cucumber slices or lettuce... I can pop all those onto my food scale as well, but I need a way to know how much .5 oz of tomato is, or 3 oz of cucumber.... it's not listed that way in the database and it drives me nuts.
Especially grapes. Have you ever tried putting grapes into a 1 cup measurement? It never seems like the same amount fits in! Fruits/Veggies come in different sizes and I need to be as accurate as possible!!!!!

How do you accurately measure your fruits and veggies?

Replies

• chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    check out www.nutritiondata.com. they have info on tons of different foods and all have a pull-down menu that has lots of measurement options (including 1 ounce). then you can just do the math yourself.
  • mrssavvysteve
    mrssavvysteve Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    One thing you can try is you can fill a measuring cup with 1 cup of water. Place grapes in until the water is at the 2 cup level. Thus you'd be eating 1 cup of grapes. Just my suggestion
  • foxynurse
    Options
    I use the grams setting on my food scale and for most of the foods there is a measurement for 100 g. It is pretty easy to figure out what 56 grams is for example, I enter 0.56 as a serving of 56 grams.
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    download you a conversion chart.
    I have one on my fridge that starts with grams , tsp, tbsp, oz, cups, liters, etc....

this helps alot when cooking and u can just look over and see what you need. Sometimes you have to put a lil math use into it but over time you learn it and it stays with ya.
    I cook so much I know most all conversions now but sometimes I still have to look
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    weigh a large measuring cup with water in it. Then weigh the same measuring cup with the water and the grapes. Then subtract the first weight and you have an accurate weight of the grapes that way. Also if that doesn't seem to work just right do the same thing just a little differantly. Like put the water in the large measuring cup. I have a four cup one. put in two cup of water and then add the grapes till the water reaches 3 cups then you know you have one cup of grapes. I really hope this makes sence and helps you some.
  • rflowers7
    rflowers7 Posts: 24
    Options
    Yep, nutritiondata.com is good and alot of their measurements are in the database as sort of the "standard" measurements, not user entered ones. For fruits/veggies/meat I try to find those as they are listed many different ways. My food scale does ounces or grams, so I'll typically do fruits/veggies in grams versus trying to figure out what a cup or portion of a cup is. Then, use a percentage of the 100 grams measurement. I'll do 1.3 servings of raw broccoli 100 grams to get 130 grams.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I put EVERYTHING in grams. I enter everything in the database as grams so that if I eat say grapes then every time I eat grapes I know it is so many grams. Most things on packages say grams so I find keeping everything the same works for me.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I put EVERYTHING in grams. I enter everything in the database as grams so that if I eat say grapes then every time I eat grapes I know it is so many grams. Most things on packages say grams so I find keeping everything the same works for me.

Huge pat on the back for you! I do the same and eventually we'll get these things updated to include weight of everything in grams (or ml). I use caloriegallery for the 100 gram number but the database isn't extensive so some of the other sites mentioned may be better. I try to add some note to the title (or revise the title) to indicate that the entry will be gram/ml friendly. If y'all do the same, we'll simplify things over the next few months!

:)