Kale & Collard Greens ??

Options
SMarie10
SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
I've read a lot of good things about Kale - being a superfood and should be added to your diet (also collard greens). I've never cooked either of these and was hoping someone out there might have some recipes for these items they would like to share.

Replies

• Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    It's funny you posted this! I've never had kale either but I just added some to a crockpot meal we're having for lunch.

Where I live, we eat alot of mustard greens...I think it's kind of the same thing.
  • sjd2010
    sjd2010 Posts: 106
    Options
    Bump :drinker:
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I like to lightly steam some chopped kale and put it on my plate and put the rest of the dinner on top, you hardly notice it, but get lots of nutrition...which reminds me, why did I stop doing that???
    for Collard greens, you can use them to make wraps! more nutritous and way less calories than regular wraps.
    I'm sure there are tons of other recipes, looking forward to hearing some ideas!
  • melischemitz
    melischemitz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I eat A LOT of Kale, one of my fave veggies!! It's really good just sauteed with the tiniest bit of olive oil, some lemon zest, salt and crushed red pepper. I'll add it to whole wheat pasta with some sauteed cherry tomatoes, toasted pine nuts and some shrimp or chicken if you want a protein.
  • Ravyn1982
    Ravyn1982 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I love me some greens!!! When we make them we just boil them with some smoked ham hock and red chili flakes in chicken broth or water. But we only use fresh ones cause the forzen and canned taste funny to us. Its really not too hard to do that and I don't know any other way to cook them really that's what we always do. Its a southern style of cooking them. I've heard of people saute them with some oil and just wilt them a little that way. I've never had them this way myself so I can't say much for that. We've used our left overs as ingredients in soups before too. They add an interesting flavor and some body to it.

Hope that helps you:) Enjoy the greens!!!
  • SkinnyCate
    SkinnyCate Posts: 116
    Options
    Kale soup is awesome! I made one that was a little different.

I used 1/2 veggie broth, 1/2 chicken broth, onion, garlic, chopped up kale, and some turkey meatballs quartered. It was SO good! Also if you actually bake it in the oven just on a cookie sheet, cut up into "chip size" pieces, sprinkle with some salt & pepper and spray some pam olive oil on it. It is SO good. A nice crispy treat!
  • bonbon1472003
    bonbon1472003 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I throw kale or collard greens and a banana in a blender with about 2 cups water mix and drink.

i have heard sauteed with garlic and onions is good but i have never had it.
    :happy:
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    collards are a true southern food so they are good for you but cooked unhealthy.LOL
    So, I can tell you the way we cook them and you can tweek the recipe.
    In a large pot, bring 3-4 quarts of water to a boil and add smoked meat like Ham hock, seasoned salt and hot sauce. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 1 hour.Wash the collard greens thoroughly. Remove the stems that run down the center . The tender young leaves in the heart of the collards don't need to be stripped. Stack about 8 leaves on top of one another, roll up, and slice into 1/2 to 1-ince thick slices. Place greens in pot with meat and add butter. Cook for 45 to 60 minutes, stirring occasionally. When done taste and adjust seasoning.

kale I only use when making a presentation dish. However due to the nature of the product I was think they too need to be cook similar to the collards
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I sure likes me some greens!

I've never actually figured the calories on this, but I like to hollow out my hamburger parties and stuff'em with greens and mozzarella. Yummy.
  • OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Kale chips are AMAZING as well!!! Just get some kale, wash it well, tear the leaves off of the stems, put it in a bowl and add a little olive oil, a little sea salt, and a little splash of tamari (or I think normal soy sauce would work too.) Toss it all so that the kale is lightly coated and put spread the leaves out on a food dehydrator rack and in an hour or two you will have kale chips!! They are SOOOOO good!! If you don't have a dehydrator, I've heard of people putting them in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes...never tried it though =)

Also, I love to make GREEN smoothies!!! Take some kale, spinach, and parsley and throw it in a blender (Vita Mix or Blend Tech suggested). Add a little (1/4 cup) plain yogurt, about 6oz of apple juice, a frozen banana (peel it and slice the banana BEFORE freezing). Blend away and you have a cup full of green heaven!!!! SOOO good!! You could substitute water for the apple juice to cut down on the sugar (or find a quality yogurt with low sugar), but I think the apple juice helps the flavor quite a bit!
  • MakotoYuu
    Options
    A great way to eat kale is to make kale chips. They are a wonderful crunchy snack and extremely tasty. You can find about a million recipes online. I make mine with garlic and ginger, and sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds on them after they are done. Toasting the kale makes it so awesomely tasty.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I just bought some collards yesterday to make. I boil them in some water and put whatever kind of meat I might have. I made some pork tenderloin last night so I will throw that in. Salt and pepper to taste. It's really easy and good for you as long as you do not fry them in bacon fat like the traditional southern way to cook.

Wash them really well and strip the leaves from the thick stems.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    ...can't say why, but I'm suddenly craving poke salad?
  • itsjustme77
    itsjustme77 Posts: 102
    Options
    A great way to eat kale is to make kale chips. They are a wonderful crunchy snack and extremely tasty. You can find about a million recipes online. I make mine with garlic and ginger, and sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds on them after they are done. Toasting the kale makes it so awesomely tasty.

They taste like chips! Yum!
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Served with injera

http://www.whats4eats.com/breads/injera-quick-recipe
    [/quote]
    I have never heard of injera - will need to check this out. Thanks everyone for the suggestions - think I'll try the Kale Chips first
  • dshale
    dshale Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    collards are easy.

4 cups of water
    1 smoked turkey leg
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp sugar
    1 large bunch of collards

pull the leaves off the steams of the greens and rinse them in water. I usually fill the sink half way with water and throw them in in there after pulling the steams out. put the water and turkey leg in a large pot and boil covered for about 15 minutes. add the greens, salt, and sugar and reduce heat to low. cover and cook for 45 minutes stirring the greens about every 10-15 minutes.