Been here since January, but haven't engaged in the communit

Options
I've already lost 11 pounds, in 7/8 weeks, so I should feel proud, but I'm feeling down and anxious. I have a lot going on in my life, and I felt like being heavy and unhealthy was something I could actually do something about.

At 5'3" when I realize I wasn't just "heavy," but borderline obese it was a shock. I found out when I joined a gym (one day it just hit me that gyms were part of modern life! Where had I been!) and had a consultation with a trainer. I'm pretty much doing it on my own -- cardio when I can, and I dabble with the weights. I've recently started a class that is body sculpting. I find it hard to keep up, but I feel good after I'm done. When I felt good about exercising I wanted to watch my food too, hence I joined.

I never like eating the calories I burn from exercise. How do you all feel about this?

Also, I'm unsure of my weight loss goal too. I put it in as 140 because that was what I was in high school, but the more I read, the more I think I should be solidly in the 120s. Does any one else think their recommended weight is just too skinny for them? This is a constant debate with my fiancée, who thinks I'm focusing too much on numbers. He loves my body (because he loves me) and I feel like I'm constantly fighting him on the legitimacy of wanting to get healthy. He thinks my new 159 pound body is fine, and I should stop trying to loose (but he thought my 170 pound body was sexy too!), and he thinks my calorie goal is too restrictive, and he thinks I should eat every calorie I burn in exercise to make sure I net my calorie goal. I know he thinks he's helping me keep things in perspective, but I just feel like I'm not being supported.

Anyone have a similar experience, or any advice on how to keep prospective?

Also, on a side note -- can anyone manage to keep their sugar to the recommended levels? Two pieces of fruit and my day is shot! And I LOVE sweet potatoes as my carb with dinner (so healthy and anti-inflammatory!) but if I had an apple as a snack my gs of sugar are through the roof! (I never seem to get enough fat, which is where the additional calories come from). Should I be worried about this??

Replies

• newjmf
    newjmf Posts: 78
    Options
    About the sugars---don't fret if it's natural sugars from fruit...it's the processed sugars that you should be worried with.
  • Elliebee22
    Options
    Oh my goodness we are exactly the same!! I think that you should lose what you want until you feel happy with yourself. My boyfriend also loves me for who I am but as I'm not happy with how I look I'm determined to lose weight- because even when I lose weight he'll still love me.

As for sugar, you and I are so similar it's scary! Fruit sugar is fine it's other sugars you should worry about!!
  • kamechaf
    kamechaf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • hollyknouse
    hollyknouse Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Welcome and you definitely should feel proud!! 11 pounds is something to be proud of! I don't really have a lot of advice but we have so many similarities I wanted to comment and let you know that you are not alone. I love being able to do something about my weight and health as there are so many things we can't control in our lives. I am 5'3" also but I started out much heavier. It is a horrible shock to realize you are or are bordering in the obese category. What a scary word! If you've been watching at all you will see that there is always a huge debate about eating your exercise calories back. I lost almost 100 pounds without eating them back but have just recently started trying to (old habits are hard to break) and haven't really noticed a change in my weight loss yet but I am giving it a shot. I understand both sides. I think its trial and error see what works for you. One last thought on the fruits.... that really torks me off that I am over in sugar every single day because of the fruit I am eating. I won't give it up and it hasn't hurt me yet so I will just deal with that red number every day. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like I love the support on this site!
  • Renise01
    Renise01 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 5'2 and I all the info says that I'm currently obese as well at 160lbs. Now My husband absolutely loves every inch of me and I love him the same! We are working out together so we can be healthier. I want to lose weight BEFORE we decide to have kids and Heart problems and hypertension run in the family - even for those who are not even close to obese! I've chosen 130 as my goal weight cause I feel that the recommended 110-120 is a little too waif like for me. I LOVE my curves and refuse to give those up! Find a weight you feel comfortable at. Maybe it'll be 140? Or 130? No matter what the # on the scale - to quote the Cheerios bee - Bee happy, BEE healthy!!!!

Hugs and good luck!
  • Dustybenbear
    Options
    Thanks so much for the support! I have to say, I'm blown away at such a fast and positive response!

Thanks for confirming my thinking! Only a VERY small percentage of my sugar is processed, the vast majority is healthy sugars!

Having a loving partner is amazing, but sometimes he lets me expect less of myself, and I feel better when I challenge myself.

Thanks everyone! And feel free to friend me (is that how it works here?) lol.