I ate a mango, I think I hate half my days in calories?

Options
I just ate a medium sized mango. I used a mango cutter and cut it down the middle and scooped out the sides. Does anyone know the calories?? I'm having a hard time finding calories for them here on mfp because there are so many different things to choose from and unfortunately i didn't weight it out. Can anyone give me a rough estimate. Is it really 150 calories for a cup of mango??? !!!!!??? because I think what I ate was equivalent to 2 cups, what do you all think??

Please and thank you :)

Replies

• believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Even if you ate 2 cups of mangos (300 calories, assuming). That is NOT nearly half a day's worth! Don't worry!
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Looked up mango on here-it said one is 140 cals. There was another that said 1 cup is 100 cals. So at the most you ate 200 cals.
  • Kudzu
    Kudzu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I went under food data and typed in Mango......what I found was 1 cup = 107 calories....
  • SMJohnson27
    SMJohnson27 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem with finding an accurate calorie count for fruit. The database has such a wide range for them. One said a banana had 25 calories another said 125. I found a site-nutritiondata.self.com/ to give me an accurate nutrition count for all my fruits and veggies.
  • JenniferTasso
    JenniferTasso Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I found online, that 1 cup is 107 calories...so if you had 2 cups, maybe 214...that sounds very high though
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    When I looked it up 3 different sources said 107 cal per cup, so 214 calories total. That is nowhere near 1/2 a days worth more like 1/ 6th or 1/ 7th. And that's about average for a small afternoon snack. So don't worry so much.
  • paw03884
    paw03884 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just found a really cool site that is a visual site shows the size of the fruit/veggie for you
    to base the calories on. It looks like a regular mango is roughly 135 calories. Here is the
    link. http://www.bitelog.com/mango :smile:
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for responding
    haha I love how everyone thought I was serious about it being half a days worth of calories :) Two people said it was 107 for a cup so i will go with that. I still think that is way to much for mango but I also think the calories in chocolate is way too much..eh what are you going to do?
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    haha I love how everyone thought I was serious about it being half a days worth of calories :)

There's quite a few individuals on here with eating disorders, who eat (and log) even less than 600 calories. So, yeah it's hard to tell who's serious & who's not! :tongue:
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    my frozen mango is 100 calories for 3/4 cup so unless you are eating 500 calories a day you did not eat half a days worth of calories.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    This site is invaluable to me! It is the USDA National Nutrient Database. When I search the database for fresh fruits and veggies, I always include USDA in my search. If I do not find it... I check this site and enter my own in the database. It gives the most accurate data for foods without labels... for example... strawberries, it lists by weight, cups, halves, slices, small in diameter, medium in diameter... you get the gist. :)

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

According to the USDA national nutrient database... 1 cup pieces (of the edible portion) is 99 calories so 2 cups would be approximately 188 calories.

I hope this helps! I use this site b/c it is from the US Dept of Agriculture and I would assume be the most accurate.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    If it feels like the calories are too low, I'll generally overestimate the portion size or find the entry with the most amount of calories per serving. Even still, the higher calorie counts for fruit aren't really that much more in comparison to the average number.
  • velvettte
    velvettte Posts: 14
    Options
    haha I love how everyone thought I was serious about it being half a days worth of calories :) Two people said it was 107 for a cup so i will go with that. I still think that is way to much for mango but I also think the calories in chocolate is way too much..eh what are you going to do?

Mangos are also considered a bit of a super food.... they tend to require more energy of the body than some other foods to digest. They are filled with goodness, and relatively low in sugars, fats and calories for substance. Watermelon....low cals, super high in sugar and therefore dangerous to the diabetic... and strawberries... another super fruit... totally low in both cals and sugar :)