Lent

Options
What are you giving up for lent? Does it have to do with food?

I've thought about giving up sugar but I"m not sure I can. Sugar and the scale.

Replies

• ajax03
    ajax03 Posts: 96
    Options
    I'm temporarily deactivating my Facebook account!!!!
    My kids: No tv, no DS, Wii or Computer.
    We had a blast tonight playing Connect 4 as a family & our kids decided they would make up a game of wrapping up in a blanket and sliding down the stairs. LOL!
  • jon_dub
    jon_dub Posts: 166
    Options
    I am going to try to give up Beer
  • RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Funny, I was just about to post this topic. I'm giving up ice cream. But im eating a pint on Fat Tuesday lol
  • rockmack
    rockmack Posts: 12
    Options
    No facebook for me.... it will be a lllloooonnnnggg 40 days but I am wondering how much more I will get done.
  • nikkijay
    nikkijay Posts: 17
    Options
    Whats lent?!?!?!?
  • mrsltd08
    mrsltd08 Posts: 9
    Options
    I was thinking about giving up cussing and fast food. I'm still eating it about once a week.
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Lent = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lent

I haven't figured out what I'm going to give up yet. Maybe being lazy, or procrastination.
  • nikkijay
    nikkijay Posts: 17
    Options
    ohhhh gotcha thanks :)
    haha
  • kaylenlawrence
    kaylenlawrence Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am thinking alcohol
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I normally give up watching Football for Lent. But this year I think I'm going to give up Diet Mt Dew/Diet Coke.

I've been trying and thinking about it for a while..might as well just do it.
  • ubabe1
    ubabe1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Ah, Lent...for the last two years I've given up processed sugars. It was hard at first but my sacrifice was for the Lord so when I felt weak I thought of His suffering and was able to stay strong! My reward was weight loss!! This year is going to be different because of my fitness pal. I was not tracking my calories before but now with this and exercise my rewards will be even greater!!! I still eat fruit because its natural sugar. If you are thinking about giving up sugar do it...you'll be amazed at the weight you can lose!!!
  • Vtrembacki
    Vtrembacki Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think I'm giving up texting a driving. I'm not giving up anything fod wise, because I dont feel like there is one thing I eat too much of that is bad for me.
  • idahogirl71
    idahogirl71 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I am giving up diet soda, bread, and dairy products.
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I am giving up "indulgences" which basically I am defining as any of those "cheats" that I usually allow myself - cake or other sweets at work, ice cream even if it fits into my calories for the day, darker beers instead of "lite" beers, french fries instead of steamed broccoli. I figured it is kind of more of a "sacrifice" than giving up one thing, PLUS it should help me break out of my plateau. I actually started last week, because I am going on vacation the week before Easter. :huh:

Anyway, anytime I find myself saying "I really shouldn't eat that", my "Lent" is giving up THAT thing, at THAT moment.

I started a challenge - there are only 3 of us logging regularly, but anyone can join. It is on the Motivation Board, called "Say No to Indulgences". I figured that posting to the thread will help keep me on track better, especially since the thing I am giving up is a bit loosely defined.
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I think I'm giving up texting a driving. I'm not giving up anything fod wise, because I dont feel like there is one thing I eat too much of that is bad for me.

PLEASE give up texting and driving, and not just for Lent. :flowerforyou:
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

Oohh, that's a good one!
  • 1QueenB
    1QueenB Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Smoking!!!!! I am just getting tired of it. I want to give up sugar (processed) but I think it may be a bit much if I'm gonna try to quit smoking. Wish me luck ~ and good luck to all of you!:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    Alcohol
    Added sugars (not going to add sugar to anything where it isn't already)
    and sweets (meaning candies, chocolates, cakes, etc... yogurt is not included in this category for me, as I need my dairy...)
  • MaryBeth1989
    Options
    I also gave up FB.
  • EaglesFan521
    EaglesFan521 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Chocolate and Soda. To be honest I only drink soda when I am out somewhere, I stopped bringing it into my house, my problem with it is that I don't drink diet soda, I HATE diet soda really. so if i am out I get regular coke. but for the next 40 days I am giving it up, the bonus is that I am hoping I will be wanting it less if i give it up. As for the Chocolate... well I need to do it, its just what I have done every year for lent. Its gonna be tough, and its only for 40 days.... Good Luck all on what you are giving up!!!