Are there better kinds of lettuce?

Options
I only know two kinds of lettuce--the tasteless kind and the bitter kind. Are there others that are more appealing?

Replies

• WFTomba
    Options
    I only know two kinds of lettuce--the tasteless kind and the bitter kind. Are there others that are more appealing?
  • ericarey85
    ericarey85 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    fresh express's sweet butter lettuce is my fave.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I substitute fresh spinach for salads & sandwiches. Yummy! Not tasteless, but not that horrible bitter stuff. Plus, lots of antioxidents!
  • Buckeyegirl71
    Options
    I really love the Sweet Butter lettuce. I think it's also known as Boston or Bibb. Butter lettuce, as its name suggests, is so tender that it melts in the mouth like butter, particularly the heart, when the lettuce is picked at dawn. It forms a loose head of large leaves resembling an open rose. The flavor of butter lettuce is very subtle: it lends itself to countless creative pairings.

Medicinal properties
    Butter lettuce contains lactucarium which has effects similar to those of opium. Because of its sedative properties, it is recommended for treating insomnia, intestinal spasms and palpitations. It is said that the emperor Domitian "tortured" his guests at banquets by serving them a head of lettuce at the beginning of the meal. Not allowed to nod off in front of his imperial majesty, they were forced to fight off their sleepiness for hours.

Nutritional values per 100 g
    Calories: 13; Water: 95.58 g; Carbohydrates: 2.32 g; Fat: 0.22 g; Protein: 1.29 g; Fiber: 1 g.
    Rich in calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, vitamins A, B, C and K.

Buying
    Nice unwilted green leaves with no signs of damage or yellowing.

Storing
    Butter lettuce is very fragile and its leaves wilt quickly. Store in a perforated bag in the vegetable crisper of the refrigerator.

Preparing
    Wash at the last minute; otherwise the leaves will "fall" quickly.

Cooking
    Butter lettuce is sophisticated and likes sweet mellow pairings such as cream, fruity oils, honey and fruit.

Its wide leaves can be used to wrap whipped goat cheese, or fresh cheese such as ricotta or cottage cheese seasoned with herbs.

Yum
  • CristaAmy
    Options
    Say a big no to iceburg ... absolutely no benefits.

Spinach and romaine are typically my choices when it comes to lettuce.
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I always use the romaine lettuce, the darker greens are always better for you! Plus it tastes better, I use to only eat it in cesear salads but now I use it for everything!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I'm running out to buy some Bib to help me with insomnia now! Good to know!