(embarrassing) digestive concern

Options
I'm posting this reluctantly for obvious reasons, but I'm hoping it helps someone else, too!

Has anyone else experienced constipation when they first cut down/altered their dietary intake? I know all of the causes I should be aware of - lack of fiber, fluids, or exercise, eating too much dairy... But I am ingesting plenty of fiber (I think - fruits & veggies & whole wheat & legumes) & the only way I really changed my diet is by cutting out sweets, junk food, & by eating more frequently...

I also know that constipation can be a side-effect of dieting/eating disorders... & can be a psychological reaction.

So, has anyone had this happen to them? How long did it take for the problem to be resolved? Did you resort to laxatives/milk of magnesia? I'm terrified of laxatives because of what can happen if you abuse them (not that I would) - but I'm almost getting ready to trek to the drugstore to buy some... Any suggestions?

I've been eating so well all week, but the scale is higher than normal & my stomach is bloated - all due to this problem. It's so discouraging! Not to mention uncomfortable.

Replies

• mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    my trainer had me increase my protein & cut back on my carbs & i totally was there in your world... i cut back on the protein & added back in some healthy carbs... i'm back to normal now. He had me at 166 g of protein which is a lot. I am still trying to increase my protein just not tht high
  • indeegirl
    Options
    Drink plenty of water
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I frequently have the same problem, ESPECIALLY when my fat intake drops too low. Instead, put some healthy fats in your diet, such as olive oil, avocado, etc. In fact, my dietician yells at me when my fat intake drops too low. She told me my constipation issues are due to low fat intake, so looking at your food diary, it seems that you're in the same boat.

Stay away from laxatives, they're nasty and will totally mess up your digestion.
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Mine was actually the opposite as I was taking in more fiber, eating more regularly, drinking more water, and exercising. You may want to look into the foods you are eating. I am sure any diet change can greatly affect regularity!
  • justscrappy
    justscrappy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I found the same thing happened to me when I increased my fiber intake too quickly. I know that fiber helps keep you regular, but increasing it too quickly can cause you to become constipated. Take a look at your fiber and see if you need to cut it back and increase it at a slower rate.
  • Shelty64
    Shelty64 Posts: 18
    Options
    Yes, that happened to me too. I take Metamcuil twice a day now. I was watching the Dr. Oz show and he suggested that we all do this, so that we can get enough fiber in our diets. It works fabulous! But....one caveat, you will be gassy for the first couple weeks until your body gets used to all that extra fiber....so take it at night or when you know you'll be alone, because your co-workers won't like it....lol!
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I've heard it happen to people when they cut down a lot on their fat intake.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes. I use omegas, more fat, lots of water and fibre :smile:
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    yup... i just upped my water to MORE than 8 cups a day... 9 - 10 was good for me, and it all sorted itself out *S*
  • lllazarus
    lllazarus Posts: 11
    Options
    hasn't happen to me but I am drinking dieters tea 3 times a week to give my system some help.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is common. There are, however, lots of things you can do to improve things.

1) Increase your fiber intake. MFP doesn't actually give you enough fiber in your goals, but women under 50 should shoot for at least 25 grams a day, men under 50 should get 35 grams a day. Fruits (berries - especially blueberries - and pears are especially high in fiber), whole grains, and veggies have lots of fiber. This is ESPECIALLY important if you eat a lot of protein.

2) Drink lots of water. In fact, if you eat lots of fiber but don't drink enough water, you can actually make yourself even more "plugged up." Minimum 8 cups, preferably half your body weight in ounces (for you, that would be between 9 and 10 cups/day... more if you work out a lot).

3) Exercise. Walking, especially, is a great way to get things... moving.

Be consistent in those things and you shouldn't have a problem. If you do continue to experience a problem with constipation despite increasing your fiber, water, and exercise, you should talk to a doctor.
  • Shelty64
    Shelty64 Posts: 18
    Options
    I should point out that Metamucil is NOT A LAXATIVE, it's just psyllium husk. I also agree with the other blogger who suggested you get enough of the good fats in your diet. If I get to the end of the day and I still have calories left to consume, I will sometimes takes a spoonful of olive oil or flax seed oil.
  • fullofhope
    fullofhope Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Dont' feel bad, I bet I have read 4 posts on this in the last 3 days. You are not the only one experiencing this! Increase water, try hot water in the morning, (works for me) many have had luck with Senekot, it is a natural stool softener. Stay away from Exlax. If you go too long with out a BM go to the drugstore and ask the pharmacist, he can guide you to a gentle enema. They say 4 days constitutes constipation. Don't let it go too far, impaction is NOT fun.
  • rcgrissom
    rcgrissom Posts: 17
    Options
    Try some Organic Smooth Move © SENNA tea, from Traditional Medicines, before bed, it'll help regulate you but DON'T drink it daily. Lots of Water, Veggies and Fruit. I rarely eat red meat because it doesn't agree with me.
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I make no secret of the fact I have some horrible digestive disorders. at one point I was so baked up it had to be surgically removed. fiber supplements can do more harm than good, not only do they tear up your stomach too much fiber is just as bad as too little. probiotics are the key, I generally try to get mine from food, yogurt, blue cheese, even beer, but I also take a digestive enzyme, and a probiotic cocktail to supplement. this is preventative, if I haven't gone in about 3-4 days I start taking miralax, and sometimes a laxative.
  • sidoniecolette
    Options
    I frequently have the same problem, ESPECIALLY when my fat intake drops too low. Instead, put some healthy fats in your diet, such as olive oil, avocado, etc. In fact, my dietician yells at me when my fat intake drops too low. She told me my constipation issues are due to low fat intake, so looking at your food diary, it seems that you're in the same boat.

Stay away from laxatives, they're nasty and will totally mess up your digestion.

That sounds about right! I've been avoiding olive oil/margarine like crazy... I'll try to get in some nuts/avocado/etc & use more olive oil. Thanks!
  • just4laughs
    Options
    Prune juice
  • HannahPastoor
    Options
    Happened to me! But I was fine after a few days....Make sure you drink lots of water!
  • HannahPastoor
    Options
    Happened to me! But I was fine after a few days....Make sure you drink lots of water!
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Options
    If this is just in your first week it could be a normal adjustment period and should...um...pass. Our bodies an react in aggravating ways when there is a change in diet.

If it does not, then start making adjustments to your diet and see what helps move things along.

Drinking plenty (more than the recommended 8 x 8oz servings a day) of water is solid advice for almost everyone and can help with constipation.

However, what constipates a person is not universal. I am of Ashkenazi (Russian) Jewish descent and have an inherited sensitivity to dairy, in anything but small amounts it opens me up in very unpleasant ways. Other people experience the opposite effect.

I would not go to any extremes, just pay attention to what your body tells you when you eat certain types of foods and you should be able to make the appropriate adjustments and feel comfortable again.

However, if you start to experience pain and have not gone in several days, you might want to seek medical advice.