Walkers

Options
Just wanted to see how many people out there walk to lose their weight, if so how long, how often? I love walking sometimes add a little jog, but really love walking, but is it enough?

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I must be hungry. I thought this was going to be about Walkers shortbread...

I walk a lot for my job. I don't run because I have bad knees. If you watch your calories, you will definitely see progress.
  • formytwins
    formytwins Posts: 106
    Options
    I walk but was told I need to do other things also??? I walk for 30 mins. in the morning and when the time changes I hope to walk for 1 hour. I also walk after lunch for 1 hour as fast as I can walk. I have lost 16 pounds so far so I must be doing something right...LOL.
  • DyannAlvarez
    DyannAlvarez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    So far, so good for me! I love walking too. I walk 3.5 mph and walk for an hour at least. I try to do that 5 days a week but do it on the weekends too, sometimes a less amount of time. I think, like anything, your body adjusts to it and we need to mix it up a bit. I live in Phoenix and soon it will be so hot I won't want to leave the house! I'm looking into adding some aerobics and we just brought in an elliptical trainer. But my preference is to walk. Just walk quickly and long. I'm seeing results with that. Good luck to you! :wink:
  • amylynn96
    amylynn96 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I walk everyday. Really because i have very bad knees and ankles and even just trying to jog hurts too much. I walk my doggie around the neighborhood everyday about 30 minutes just to get him out. But i try my best to give myself 45-60 minutes of treadmill as well. Because i cant run or jog, i alternate the incline up every two minutes and stay at like 3.5mph i work my way up tp 8/9 incline and it really really gets my heartrate up, works very well when ur unable to run.
  • knowmydestiny
    knowmydestiny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I walk with my husband 3-5 times a week for about an hour each walk as he has had a hip replacement and cannot do high impact workouts. However, this is not all I do. I also work out 5-7 days a week for about 30-45 minutes doing other cardio and strength circuits.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm a walker. I started with only 1 block and have built up. I've added some other exercise but walking and hiking are my favorite.
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    I love walking too! And yes it does make a difference and is enough depending on your speed and distance! Some days I walk up to 4 miles and usually walk 3-4 mph. Walking is in the exercises on MFP and you can see how many cals you burn... I think I personally burn about 200 cals (I could be wrong) walking 4 mph for a half an hour (2 miles). You could also start using arm weights for more of a calorie burn! Keep on walking! Any exercise helps! :D
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Walking a 15 minute mile= about 100 calories burned.

So, if you can walk 4 miles in an hour, that's 400 calories!

It definetly makes a difference! :)
  • bluespring
    bluespring Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    So far, so good for me! I love walking too. I walk 3.5 mph and walk for an hour at least. I try to do that 5 days a week but do it on the weekends too, sometimes a less amount of time. I think, like anything, your body adjusts to it and we need to mix it up a bit. I live in Phoenix and soon it will be so hot I won't want to leave the house! I'm looking into adding some aerobics and we just brought in an elliptical trainer. But my preference is to walk. Just walk quickly and long. I'm seeing results with that. Good luck to you! :wink:

Me too. I walk/jog/run.....and it's working well.
    I'm focused now on 5 miles per day. When I'm at work...I split it up into two daily sessions. But on the weekends...one long session...I use a pedometer...and an HRM...so I know exactly how hard to work...and how far to go. I also mix it up with kettlebells and dancing with the Wii.
    I'm in Florida...and it's warm already.....I'm dreading the pending heat wave... :glasses:
  • sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Walking is fabulous, but be careful, it makes you feel much better and can lead to other workouts LOL. Hey endorphins are a drug! (I don't think I spelled that correctly, but...)
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Walking is what I do. It's basically the *only* form of exercise I've used to lose weight. When I started, I was 215 pounds, had plantar fasciitis, and basically waddled around the block. But I kept building on it...

Now I'm 120 pounds and can easily walk 12 miles a day if I want. Sometimes I do.

For me, I found that I had to walk a LOT in order to lose at a rate that satisfied me. Once I got into it, I started going at 5am with my dogs and would walk until 6:30am. Then, most nights I'd walk another 45-90 minutes if I had the time. I found it relaxing and enjoyable, and it was great for my dogs too.

This routine took 90 pounds off of me in 18 months, toned me nicely, and improved my health more than I ever could have hoped.

I still walk at least 70 minutes in the morning. And walk again at night if I can. I'm hooked!
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    For the first 6 months, I walked for weight loss and still am! :flowerforyou:

I still do various other kinda..zumba on occasion, wii fit or dance. Now im doing Jillians 30 day shred.
  • taraglittle
    taraglittle Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Awesome results, very motivating!
  • Shannon7713
    Shannon7713 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I walk!! I lost most of my wgt so far from walking and eating right! And I feel so much better after it...... However, now I have to step it up because my body is getting used to it, and its a bit harder to lose more wgt....
    When I started I would walk 3-5 days a week (still do)... even if just for 10 mins around the block after dinner.... I usually walk in the early morning, at a very brisk pace (about 30-40 mins)...... then started jogging about 20-30 second intervals.... worked great!
    Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • kkellam1
    kkellam1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I walk every day for 45 minutes twice a day. I cover about 2.5 miles each time, so that's about 5 miles a day. Once or twice a week, I throw in a bonus mile or so during my lunch hour. When I started a month ago, I just did one mile in the morning and one in the evening. That's really all I do, no workouts or anything. I have come to really enjoy the walking and it's just a routine part of my day now.

I have been averaging about 1200-1500 calories a day and not eating back the 600 or so that MFB credits me for the walking.

So far it has worked really well for me. 23 pounds in the first month. I am stuck right now, having lost nothing during the last 3 days. I am torn between sticking to this plan or starting to eat the calories back like a lot of people recommend. I feel full and really don't know how I could force myself to increase my eating. But the sudden stop in loss bugs me a bit.

I am curious, like some of the other people here, if walking is going to be enough for the long term. Will the body adjust to the new activity level? I guess what I mean is will I continuously need to up the distance or the speed to see continued results? I generally walk a lot for my job (3-6 miles a day), so by the time I finish my second "exercise walk", I am pretty walked out for the day.

I still have a LOT of weight to drop and wonder if the walking and diet will be enough to take it off. The doctor said to lose 100. 23 is a start, but it leaves me with a lot of belly fat that still needs to go!
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Walking is how I lost (and for the most part keep off) the weight I lost four years ago. I try to go for at least 3 miles a day at least five days a week. Last year, I walked over 1600 miles (and that's miles that are "exercise" miles -- I don't count those that can add up just from walking at my job -- I am a teacher, and I can get in a couple of miles in a typical day -- didn't count these).
    Kaye
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Walking is great for toning the legs and the bum, especially uphill, and it improves your fitness levels greatly! Not only that, but getting out in the air is soooo good for you!

I do a lot of walking and have managed to get almost down to my target weight with this being my only form of exercise, however, now that I am almost at my target weight I am mixing it up a little with some other exercise to help tone the rest of my body!
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I started with walking.....and walk about 3 miles every other day...while I am doing the 30 day shred!! I started with a walking video....and got outside to see if I could do the 3 miles outside....and I can!!! IN the same amount of time!!! So it works!!

I still go back to walking...it's my favorite...makes me feel good!!!!