QUESTION...

Options
So I’m getting a little unmotivated, so I decided to rant on here and see if I could get some words of wisdom and experience.

I started working out September 10th officially like going almost 5-6 times a week, watching what I ate like BIG TIME, drinking LOTS of water…and no fast food…ect. I mean I don’t deprive myself…I did the first week and then I realized I was going to give up fast if I did that so every now and then I’ll have a little bit of this or that that isn’t in my diet but I don’t OVER do it…

Anyways I lost 5lbs QUICK in the first week! And now I haven’t lost any weight at all…

How does this work? Lol seriously!! I’m getting SUPER discouraged I feel like this past week I should have lost something…I mean will I have to keep this up and then eventually will it come off…??

I can DEF see why people start a diet for 2 weeks and quit…because they don’t see any results but WHY IS THAT!?

! I just want to see the scale go down and it doesn’t!!!

Thanks guys!

Just venting… =)

P.s Happy Friday!

Replies

• lesliedionne
    Options
    So I’m getting a little unmotivated, so I decided to rant on here and see if I could get some words of wisdom and experience.

I started working out September 10th officially like going almost 5-6 times a week, watching what I ate like BIG TIME, drinking LOTS of water…and no fast food…ect. I mean I don’t deprive myself…I did the first week and then I realized I was going to give up fast if I did that so every now and then I’ll have a little bit of this or that that isn’t in my diet but I don’t OVER do it…

Anyways I lost 5lbs QUICK in the first week! And now I haven’t lost any weight at all…

How does this work? Lol seriously!! I’m getting SUPER discouraged I feel like this past week I should have lost something…I mean will I have to keep this up and then eventually will it come off…??

I can DEF see why people start a diet for 2 weeks and quit…because they don’t see any results but WHY IS THAT!?

! I just want to see the scale go down and it doesn’t!!!

Thanks guys!

Just venting… =)

P.s Happy Friday!
  • TaraJ16
    TaraJ16 Posts: 304
    Options
    i'm not really sure why thats happened. altogether i've only lost 5lbs, and i was starting to get a little discouraged as well.

my trainer told me that its because i'm building muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat. so she told me to stick with it and i will see results.

best of luck
  • alifelessevident
    Options
    well from my personal experiance with losing weight so farthis the advice i can give:smile: :
    keep at it, make sure you are eating enough calories so your body doesn't think its starvinng itself, drink enough water, if you exercise a whole lot, make sure you give your body some recovery time as well, and even if you aren't losing weight right away- keep eating healthier and exercising- whether you are losing weight at that moment or not you are making your body healthier, but don't give up- i kinda hit a plateau recently and have been having trouble losing a few pounds, but i'm just keeping at it, i know eventually my body will kick in again with it, good luck, just don't give up on i- its not just about losing weight but also being healthier:smile:
  • kenkraft
    kenkraft Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Lesie;
    Keep reminding yourself that this is not a diet, it's a lifestyle! You have chosen to eat healthy, exercise regularly, and because of that your body will respond by shedding the unwanted pounds. If it were easy, we'd all be skinny! That's why succeeding and hitting your goals make it that much sweeter. Never, never, never give up. You may backslide, you may make a mistake, and you will certainly run into obstacles (like those stupid scales!), but you have chosen your lifestyle! Stay with it, you can make it happen!

Ken
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Just what happened to me....

I lost 3 pounds in 2 weeks then plateaued for 2 weeks. I gradually lost more weight for a week, then plateaued for another three. I'm at about 10 weeks now and I'm down 10 pounds. It's not smooth. It's in bits and bumps.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    A dreaded plateau. We all have them, if you stick with it the scale WILL move.

Dont give up, please.

I thought about it. Things like-shoot why NOT have the darn roll with butter Im not losing anyway. But I didnt. I came back here, read Banks thread, listened to MFP veterans and BAM one morning it moved.

Usually the 1st week or so you drop a lot due to water retention. You are lowering your sodium, drinking your water.

Check out some of the threads on working out and the way your muscles hold onto water and gylcogen, swellign them up. It is interesting reading and made me feel better.

OH and have you measured yourself? I did and lost 15 inches even when I didnt lose any weight. check out your jeans, are they looser?/

Good luck to ya sweetie, dont give up, OK? :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    I have found that if I don't work out for a while, then start doing a ton of it, I don't lose weight for a month or two, then start dropping again. Songbird wrote a reply last night about gaining muscle weight, and part of it is that working your muscles increases your muscles storage capability. If you are lifting or doing intensive cardio even if you are losing fat you probably have lactic acid, and are storing more glycogen and water. This is not true weight gain, and will decrease after your body is used to working out. Unless, of course, you continue pushing your body harder and faster.

Don't give up - pretty soon you should notice that you feel better, have more energy, and look firmer.