It's Pancake Day!

Options
So how many of you in the UK will be tucking into pancakes tonight? And what will you be doing to keep them within your calorie budget? Share your ideas for tasty but non-fattening topping and fillings.

Personally, I will be making mine with skimmed milk, using 1 cal sunflower spray to cook them and sticking to lemon juice and a little sugar as topping.

Replies

• xnattiex
    xnattiex Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Ah you cant beat lemon juice and sugar as a topping! I havent got round to thinking about how i will cook them yet, just looking forward to the yummyness :)
  • sargent1976
    sargent1976 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'll be doing the same as you. Just some lemon and sugar. I think i will have a smaller lunch to make sure i don't go over on my calories.

3799848.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Alex James (ex Blur) recommends lettuce and marmite as a filling! I might give that a go ;-)
  • rosiesparkle100
    Options
    Alex James (ex Blur) recommends lettuce and marmite as a filling! I might give that a go ;-)

Really?!
  • Wightvixen
    Wightvixen Posts: 117
    Options
    Melanie, that sounds disgusting :sick:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I love mine rolled up with ice cream in the middle and lemon and sugar on top. Yum! There are lots of ice creams out there that aren't that high in cals, and it doesn't need much to fill a pancake anyway.
    I think I'm just going to do lots of exercise today, smaller lunch and dinner and hopefully with all that I'll stay under my calories, if not it's only once a year I'm not that fussed.

Does anyone know if it will be healthier to make my own or go for the pancake mix?
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    We are making pancakes at work - yummy!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    lemon and sugar is the way to go.

I'm having mine FOR dinner rather than dinner. I tend to eat a biggish lunch so having 'pudding' for one meal one day isn't going to hurt. Works out about 350 calories for about 4 pancakes. I haven't done anything low-cal to them (semi-skimmed milk, rapeseed oil)
  • mamawitch
    mamawitch Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    have them savoury with spinach and low fat cream cheese
  • dnndavie
    dnndavie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I moved to the UK 3 years ago from the US but I've totally taken pancake day on board! I always make fluffy American pancakes instead though.

This morning's recipe was a lot healthier than most:

135g wholewheat flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    2tbsp caster sugar
    130ml skimmed milk
    1 egg
    2 tbsp low-fat vegetable spread, melted

Mix together dry. Whisk together wet. Blend both together, cook over med-high heat. I spray the pan with olive oil spray to avoid using anymore fat.

We had ours this morning with Bernard Matthews turkey bacon rashers and agave nectar, which is lower GI than syrup.

Check out Sophia Dahl's recipe for buckwheat blinis too. She tops her with scrambled egg and smoked salmon. The whole recipe would be about 400 cals and tons of protein with NO refined/simple carbs. Excellent brunch idea. Her recipe is on the BBC website.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Depends on whether you're a marmite lover or hater, I guess!

Here's a "main meal" pancake idea for the lovers...

Marmite, ham, cheese & tomato pancakes
    Don’t just enjoy this delightful combo on Pancake Day – this tasty savoury pancake makes a perfect breakfast or light lunch any day of the year.

For the pancake batter (makes 6 pancakes):

120g/4oz plain flour
    Pinch of salt
    2 eggs
    210ml/7fl oz milk
    90ml/3fl oz water
    1 tbsp vegetable oil

For the pancake filling:

Thick sliced ham (1 slice per pancake)
    Cheddar cheese (grated)
    Tomatoes (sliced)
    Marmite

Make your pancakes (as many as you fancy) as standard, then spread a thin layer of Marmite on the inside of each pancake, place a layer of ham on top of that, sprinkle some grated cheese, then finish with a flourish (i.e. slices of tomato and a sprinkle of salt and pepper).
  • mamawitch
    mamawitch Posts: 6 Member
    Options

sounds yummy, i love marmite and it is fat free :o)
  • frubjious
    frubjious Posts: 355
    Options
    I think I'll try rasberries in mine this year but generally I'm going to cut back on the rest of the day and work out to so I can enjoy them however I want (maybe just not as many as I want :wink: )
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I am in the states but found this recipe for a friend in the UK from the Hungry Girl website..looks delish ;)

Ingredients:
    Filling
    Half a 60-calorie sugar-free vanilla pudding snack (like the kind by Jell-O)
    2 tbsp. sugar-free pancake syrup
    1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Icing
    2 tbsp. fat-free cream cheese
    1 no-calorie sweetener packet (like Splenda or Truvia)
    1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

Pancakes and Topping
    1/2 cup whole-wheat flour

1/2 tsp. baking powder

2 no-calorie sweetener packets (like Splenda or Truvia)
    Dash salt

1/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute 
(like Egg Beaters Original)
    2 tbsp. fat-free or low-fat buttermilk
    2 tbsp. Fat Free Reddi-wip

Directions:
    To make the filling, spoon half of the pudding snack -- about 3 tbsp. -- into a small microwave-safe bowl. (Save the rest for another time.) Add syrup and cinnamon and mix well. Set aside.

In another small microwave-safe bowl, combine icing ingredients and gently stir. Microwave for 15 seconds, and then mix until smooth. Set aside.

To make the pancake batter, combine flour, baking powder, sweetener, and salt in a medium bowl. Add egg substitute, buttermilk, and 1/3 cup water. Mix until smooth and set aside.

Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat on the stove. Add 1/3rd of the batter to form a pancake. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes, until pancake begins to bubble and is solid enough to flip. Gently flip and cook for 1 - 2 minutes, until lightly browned and cooked through. Plate your pancake and set aside.

Repeat with remaining batter to make a 2nd and 3rd pancake, removing skillet from heat and re-spraying between repetitions. Plate and set aside.

Microwave filling until warm, about 25 seconds. Evenly spread filling onto the top of each pancake, and then layer pancakes into a stack.

Microwave icing until hot, about 25 seconds. Mix well and drizzle over the stack. Top with Reddi-wip and enjoy!

MAKES 1 SERVING

Serving Size: 1 stack (entire recipe)
    Calories: 345
    Fat: 2.5g
    Sodium: 823mg
    Carbs: 63g
    Fiber: 7.5g
    Sugars: 5g
    Protein: 20.5g
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

Does anyone know if it will be healthier to make my own or go for the pancake mix?

make your own. It's not hard. Let it stand for about 1/2 an hour and it is much better.

Tesco's pancake mix includes:
    Wheat Flour, Sugar, Dried Egg, Cornflour, Dried Glucose Syrup, Modified Maize Starch, Flavouring, Salt.

My pancake mix includes:
    plain flour, whole egg, semi-skimmed milk, oil, salt.

I win. I have real ingredients. I also have no added sugar......... or 'modified maize starch'.....

enjoy!!
  • xerinx2011
    xerinx2011 Posts: 222
    Options
    Im making mine with brown flour and making them as thin as possible!!! Then having them with plain old lemon juice and some sweetner!

Last year was a different story with bananas, icecream and covered sauce.. but theres no way i have the energy today to work that many calories off!!!
  • princess_f
    princess_f Posts: 148
    Options
    Im one of the rare few that doesnt really like pancaks so wont be bothered about it, I will be making them for my daughter after school though!
  • StaceG1986
    StaceG1986 Posts: 350
    Options
    I usually have mine with lemon juice and sugar... I think I may have some Worthenshaws chocolate frozen dessert (like ice cream but low cal low fat) this year though, yum!
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    i like the idea of having icecream in them but ive never done it before...

im a lemon and sugar girl.. my BF is making me savory and sweet ones tonight! :-D cant wait!!!

No gym for me today... ill be back on it tomorrow.

xxxxx
  • Julezebub
    Julezebub Posts: 106
    Options
    I've worked hard for the pancakes I'll be having tonight. I got up a couple of hours early and went to the gym before work. The original point of shove Tuesday/ mardi gras meaning fat Tuesday is to gorge yourself before lent which is a 40 day fast. I'll be giving up chocolate for lent like I used to do back in catholic school (apart from march 17th, St Patrick's day is a day off!) Wish me luck!