Lent

Options
jaglover04
jaglover04 Posts: 82 Member
Anyone giving up anything good for Lent starting tomorrow? I am thinking FAST FOOD!! Now I have to come up with my definition before starting so I can't talk myself into anything lol!! Chik fil a will be my hardest and it's closed on Sundays!!

At first I thought if it has a drive through its fast food, but what are your thoughts on those that do not: Subway, Chipotle, Panera...those are considered fast food too right?

Happy Fat Tuesday to everyone :)!

Replies

• Jude63
    Jude63 Posts: 1
    Options
    For the last two years I have given up alcohol which I am doing this year, and adding chocolate to it. I lost 10lbs last year as a result! I also didn't partake on Sundays when you have a Lent rest day. In for a penny.....

Good luck!
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about panara or chipotle, I don't those around my house. I think most people will say Subway is fine as long as you get the healthy subs.

I am going to give up fast food too. But my mom usually has me take her to lunch ocassionally when we go shopping. I will have to get a salad or a yogurt we need to stop for food.
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up my scale. I'm too addicted to that damn thing.
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Check out this thread...best idea ever! hahaha!

Im definitely doing it! Im a scale addict!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/188330-lenten-scale-diet-official-thread-join-us
  • NeenaMD
    NeenaMD Posts: 23
    Options
    This year I'm giving up table salt for Lent. Seems pretty innocuous, but I'm NOTORIOUS for putting salt on practically everything. Even if the food is seasoned with salt while it's cooking, I'll always add more salt once I sit down to eat it.

Hmmm... that's a good question. I don't know if I'd consider Chipotle or Subway a fast food restaurant. I mean, they are, but you can get healthier options there. There may be some leeway with those two.
  • D_elCoop1216
    Options
    I usually give up fried food and anything involving white bread... two years ago, I lost 20 pounds doing this, but I kept with it beyond lent. It was really hard but it was also very easy to get to the gym and avoid those things because i wasn't working during the day. Now that i am working a 8-5 I am going to give up sweets and white bread again and make it a habit to walk during my breaks at work.

Good luck!
  • kpower1983
    kpower1983 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    :sad: Take out and wine - Arrrghhh!!!
  • KWSR16
    KWSR16 Posts: 91
    Options
    For the last two years I have given up alcohol which I am doing this year, and adding chocolate to it.

I would have ZERO problem giving up alcohol. And good for you for being able to do that every year... However my recent trip to the Godiva store at the Woodfield Mall will prevent me from giving up chocolate....lol at least the UUUBER expesive kind since I have a few, ahem...boxes at home. But other kinds of chocolate like snickers and twix and stuff... I will be all in for that. But the $40/pound chocolates that I wont be eating very much of anyways cuz one probably cost like 3 bucks, ya...THOSE I WILL be eating lol. I :heart: Godiva!!!!
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    My definition of Fast Food is food that is passed through a window. Unfortunately (or not) for me that includes my favorite pizza place.
  • MaySunrise
    MaySunrise Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Pasta!!! It's so easy to get sucked into it's Noodley Goodness............... And I'm adding more veggies and fruit.
  • jaglover04
    Options
    I'm always done sweets in the past and ice cream, i'm not a huge sweets person, but ice cream is my favorite!! Alcohol is a good one, but my birthday (the big 30) is at the end of this month and a couple bridal showers and bachlorette parties, so when I thought about it I found myself making to many acceptations lol!!
    Salt is a good one too!! I've been trying to use less of the table salt myself and I found it easier than I though it would be. I just use pepper a lot more now and it works!! Good luck :)
  • KWSR16
    KWSR16 Posts: 91
    Options
    At first I thought if it has a drive through its fast food, but what are your thoughts on those that do not: Subway, Chipotle, Panera...those are considered fast food too right?

Happy Fat Tuesday to everyone :)!

As far as Subway Chipotle and Panera go... I do not consider them to be fast food restaurants. However, that all depends on what you can trust yourself to get at these places. For example... If you go to Chipotle and you just HAVE to get the steak smothered in all the beans and salsa's and cheese and guacamole...then ya... I would probably consider that a "fast food restaurant" at least to myself to keep myself from going there and "spending" all of my calories on one huge burrito. But if you can go there and get chicken with a little beans, corn salsa and no cheese or guacamole in a bowl instead of a burrito, then I wouldn't consider it to be a fast food place. Then it can be your rewards place during lent. Like, if I do really good in the next (insert amount of time) then I can reward myself with a chicken/veggie bowl from Chipotle.

Do what is best for YOU! And remember, just because other people (including myself) try to give you advice about where to eat/not to eat does not mean anything. It is just that, advice. I wish you well during this lent season and hope that you can come up with something reasonable to "give up" or a good habit to "take up". <---remember it can go either way, it is all about bettering yourself in one way or another. :flowerforyou:
  • jaglover04
    Options
    This is SO TRUE!! I think that is why I'm going to let myself have subway for days when I have absolutely no lunch or I'm traveling. I however can not be good at chipotle, a bowl with no sour cream or guac...what haha!!

Thanks for you advice and reminding me it isn't only about giving up but also what I give :)!!