5 lb loss, followed by 4 lb gain

Options
has anyone ever experience this? saturday i'd lost 5 lbs, today i've gained 4 lbs. my diet has not changed. i'm totally confused and trying not to FREAK OUT. lol.

i'd really appreciate if someone could share some insight on their experience with this. thanks.

Replies

• baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me in the past...not sure what the reasoning was...

One day I was SO PSYCHED because I lost over 4 lbs, and then weighed myself the next day (silly me!) and I gained almost all of it back...

Some say it might be water retention due to sodium intake...i donno...it took a little while to even out though...
  • jrichardson1
    Options
    Happens to me all the time. I flucutate 5 pounds from day to day depending on what i eat and drink.
  • charchartorres
    charchartorres Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You dont gain weight just from food. Your diet and calorie intake can be good, but you may have consumed more fluids than the time before, which will show up on the scales. Even water will make you heavier.

Try not to weigh yourself at all. If you are trying to lose weight, take photos of yourself in your underwear every week, this way you will see better results!!! You want to see the inches fall off not the lbs!
  • danmullen
    danmullen Posts: 94
    Options
    Your weight can fluctuate quite a lot throughout the week - I'd really recommend not weighing in more than once a week as it can give a false impression of how you're doing.
  • RECNCRU3
    RECNCRU3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    thanks, everyone! i greatly appreciate it.
  • manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If you are female, could be "TOM." Happens to me every 28 days or so. (Grr)
  • jigglewhaaaaat
    Options
    Don't get discouraged....................I know you probably already are.
    This has happened to me on a previous "diet"! One day you are so pumped and feeling great even telling family and friends how successful your week was just to hop on the scale and be completely mortified the next weigh in.
    I think it has got to be water retention, how could one really put on 4lbs in one day when following a healthy eating plan.
    How often are you weighing yourself????? From what I understan trying to weigh yourself at the same time of day every weigh in in best. Remember you can and you will be sucessful!!!
    Rebecca
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Your body can fluctuate up to 5 pounds on a day to day basis based on things like water retention, bowel movements, etc. You can even gain a pound or two after a heavier than normal workout, as your muscles retain extra water to help with recovery. That's why you shouldn't weigh yourself more than once a week, and do that at the same time, every time. That's also why it's recommended tp rely more on body measurements than the scale, because the scale doesn't differentiate between fat lost and muscle gained.
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Just understand that it is a temporary gain caused by fluid retention from sodium and other possible factors, and food that is still sitting in your stomach. Maybe your diet had changed a little bit and you were not aware of it. I find that for myself, once I have lost weight, my body remembers and with increased effort, it will return to that weight usually within a week.
  • Lady_G
    Lady_G Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The best way and fairest way to weigh yourself is weekly not daily. If you weigh daily then you will go nuts because body weight can fluctuate quite a lot over a relatively short period of time. Things like TOM have an effect also (if you are a girl).

You should try and weigh yourself and the same time / point in the day on a weekly basis.
  • tamarab3
    tamarab3 Posts: 64
    Options
    Make sure you are weighing in at the same time of day each time. People tend to be about 2 lbs heavier in the afternoon or evening than they are in the mornings.
  • sunnygirlray1
    Options
    Hi There,
    You might be experiencing water fluctuation in your body. Easiest thing to remember is 3500 calories = 1 pound so it is almost impossible to lose 5 pounds in one day unless it is a water loss which will come by as soon as you eat. Slow and steady weight loss will get you to goal. So just keep plugging away.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I've seen my weight fluctuate as much as 7 lbs. from day to day. Don't stress, darlin'. It will all even out in the end. :)
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    hang in there, we've all experienced gain,loss, gain... ***HUGS****
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    don't sweat the 'water' weight

instead of weighing so often... you could try taking some bf% measurements: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

like Jack Lalanne said: "Your waistline is your lifeline"
  • iverayna
    iverayna Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I always fluctuate about 5 pounds around that time of the month.. Could it be that?
  • RECNCRU3
    RECNCRU3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i sincerely appreciate all of the insight. it's probably TOM or just water retention b/c i tend to drink alot of water.