Help me figure out what to do with this old kale!

Options
I have some Kale in my fridge that's quickly going limp and I don't think its really suitable for my normal steaming method. Any suggestions for cooking?

Replies

• princesshoagie
    princesshoagie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Toss it with olive oil and the seasonings of your choice (I did it with season salt) and bake it!! It makes delicious chips that are identical to potato chips (with a "green" after taste). Soo good! Google "Kale chips" for a precise recipe. Yum! And I don't even like veggies!!
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I love kale. Just not cooked.

You can make a kale salad. You can put some goddess dressing on them and dehydrate them and make a kale chip. You can add them to smoothies and make green smoothies or you can dehydrate them all the way and process them in a blender to make green powder.
  • ngr1973
    ngr1973 Posts: 334
    Options
    Add it to soup or make it like a creamed spinach (I use laughing cow cheese triangles and a little bit of skim milk with sauteed onions, etc.)

OR you can put it in a smoothie (but it can't be too limp) ... one of the best smoothies I've ever had was Kale, Pear & Pineapple.
  • Spinmedry
    Spinmedry Posts: 15
    Options
    Add it to soup.
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    hi here are some smoothie recipes you could try. i found them at http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/recipes/kale-green-smoothie-recipes/

Kale Green Smoothie Recipes
    By Davy Russell
    I recently wrote about the health benefits of using kale in your green smoothies. Kale is a highly nutritious leafy green to use in smoothies and is an excellent source of plant-based calcium. Here are some additional recipes you can try:

Pineapple-Kale

1 cup fresh pineapple, chopped
    1 whole apple
    2 cups organic kale
    1/2-3/4 cup water

Orange-Peach-Kale

1 orange, peeled
    1 peach
    2 cups organic kale
    1/2-3/4 cup water

Banana-Orange-Kale

1 banana, peeled
    1 orange, peeled
    2 cups organic kale
    1/2-3/4 cup water

Orange-Kiwi-Kale

1 orange, peeled
    1 kiwifruit
    2 cups organic kale
    1/2-3/4 cup water

Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth and creamy. If you do not have kale on hand, you can substitute other greens such as spinach or chard using the same amount (ie: 2 cups of spinach instead of 2 cups kale).
  • jerzger
    jerzger Posts: 14
    Options
    Even throwing the kale in the blender with water or soy milk and adding cocoa powder and a banana will yield a delicious treat. Just remove the kale stems first. They're the bitter part. Enjoy! :-)
  • fit4lyfe7
    fit4lyfe7 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I do two things....I sautee for a few minutes with a little olive oil and garlic (sometimes add baby bellas), then add a small amount of low sodium, fat free chicken broth. I also make a smoothie with a handful of kale, spinach, kiwi and a banana. Both tastes great!
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    Interesting ideas everyone, thank you! I've never tried a green smoothie, not sure I'm ready for that experience :)