Can you share with me your workout routine?

Options
What is your cardio, strength training routine? I am having a hard time grasping which muscles to work on which days and what exercises etc.

Replies

• amstein18
    amstein18 Posts: 131
    Options
    if you message me your e-mail I can send you a detailed strength training plan for beginners complete with pictures and everything :)
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    This is mine weekdays @ 4:30 am, weekends @ 8 am):
    Monday, Friday*: p90x strength training at the gym.
    Tuesday, Thursday: Easy run outside
    Wednesday: Spinning at the gym
    Saturday: Tempo Run, Golf
    Sunday: Long Run, Yoga
    *Optional rest day

The p90x lifting routines group legs/back, arms, chest/back, etc and I just cycle through those making sure the legs/back isn't near my long run (i.e. I'll do this every other Monday)
  • Restlessme
    Restlessme Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    if you message me your e-mail I can send you a detailed strength training plan for beginners complete with pictures and everything :)

I hope you don't mind if I jump onto that?
    I've always been so confused at the gym on what to do also.
  • alliend
    alliend Posts: 2
    Options
    I try to keep a health mix of strength training as well as cardio (imperative to losing weight & toning muscles!)

A week for me looks like this:

Monday: Run 2 Miles, Boxing Class
    Tuesday: 4 mile run
    Wednesday: Kettlebell Class, 3 mile run
    Thursday: Boxing Class, 3 mile run
    Friday: Full body strength training, Boxing, 2 mile run
    Saturday: Kettlebells, 3 mile run, Boxing (with a focus on strength)
    Sunday: 5 mile run.
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    I do a kettlebell bootcamp on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday nights. It's an hour class that includes heavy strength training, abdominal exercises, and is a serious aerobic workout. If I can, I try and get a few miles (mainly Leslie Sansone videos until we get rid of some snow) on Friday and Saturday nights to get a little light cardio in.. I try/NEED to do some foam rolling every day.

If you want something a little more specific, try this: Monday-Strength training with arms and core, light cardio. Tuesday-Strength training with lower body (squats, lunges, leg lifts...) and core, light cardio. Wednesday - again with arms and core. Thursday - repeat lower body and core. Friday - heavy cardio and core. Saturday - light full body strength (planks, side planks, bodyweight only work). Take Sunday off, or just do some yoga to loosen up.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Me 3!!

I hope you don't mind if I jump onto that?
    I've always been so confused at the gym on what to do also.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Try to do a mixture and I love the Les Mills classes...

Monday evening - Body Pump (weights/strength) and Body balance
    Tues evening - Body Combat (cardio)
    Wednesday - mgith do pump but my tennis elbow is playing up, so might spin instead
    Thursday evening - Scottish dancing
    Friday morning - 7 am pump class (!)
    Friday evening - Scottish dancing
    Weekend - long walks with the dog.

If I can squeeze in a zumba class I'll do that too.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    If you would define your goals it would be easier for the more experienced members to give advise on which routine would be more appropriate for you.
  • smills3
    smills3 Posts: 4
    Options
    i go to the gym 5 days per week and go to a local lane swim once per week. here's my schedule, which i'm finding pretty good:

MONDAY: ABS
    medicine ball:
    - crunches (3X30)
    - obliques(2X20)
    - knee tucks(3X10)

TUESDAY: LOWER BODY
    - walking lunges(15 each leg)
    - medicine ball squats (3X15 with feet pointed straight, 3X15 with feet pointed outwards)

WEDNESDAY: ABS/CORE
    - bicycle crunches (3X20)
    - leg lifts(3X20)
    - scissor kicks(3X20)

THURSDAY: ARMS
    - machines (lat pull, triceps, flys - 3X15 of each)
    - 3-way shoulders (with 5 lb. weights - lift arms straight out from sides then in front you you in a "v", then out from sides with elbows bent 90 degrees - 3X8)

FRIDAY: LANE SWIM

SUNDAY:
    - planks (centre/up downs, sides/arm raises)

For cardio, i love running, so each day I go to the gym, I hop on the treadmill for a 35 min run and then I'll go on either the stepper or the elliptical for 20 mins after that. On sundays, I just run. Also, I've made up my own names for some of this stuff so I remember what it is, so I appologize if it doesn't make perfect sense!

I go on shape.com for most of my workout and recipe ideas, great magazine!
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options

Done! Thank you!
  • FitNHappy0261
    Options
    If you have an iPhone check out NikeTraingClub (NTC) app, it's free and so easy to use. There's different categories such as "Get Lean. . Toned. . strong. . focused" and all goals are broken down into beginner, intermediate or advanced. Each section has numerous routines or you can choose "Focused" and pick which muscle group you want to work. And it lets you set it to your own music.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    Options
    If you would define your goals it would be easier for the more experienced members to give advise on which routine would be more appropriate for you.

I am 45 years old. I am down 71 pounds since March 2010. I have had 3 c-sections fairly close to together (my kids are 7,5 and almost 3). I have a lot of fat around my mid section.

I am looking for fat loss and muscle definition. Think Tosca Reno (If only I had a body like that at age 51! Ha!) As I have gotten older I have felt my strength getting worse.

The other thing is flex-ability. My flex-ability is not that great.

My husband thinks I have gone off the deep end. But I am NOT kidding. I want a fantastically fit body!
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    Options
    If you have an iPhone check out NikeTraingClub (NTC) app, it's free and so easy to use. There's different categories such as "Get Lean. . Toned. . strong. . focused" and all goals are broken down into beginner, intermediate or advanced. Each section has numerous routines or you can choose "Focused" and pick which muscle group you want to work. And it lets you set it to your own music.

I don't, but we are looking at them. We are in the process of changing our cell phone planes. That is one of the reasons I want an iPone. To download and track my workouts.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    Options
    i go to the gym 5 days per week and go to a local lane swim once per week. here's my schedule, which i'm finding pretty good:

MONDAY: ABS
    medicine ball:
    - crunches (3X30)
    - obliques(2X20)
    - knee tucks(3X10)

TUESDAY: LOWER BODY
    - walking lunges(15 each leg)
    - medicine ball squats (3X15 with feet pointed straight, 3X15 with feet pointed outwards)

WEDNESDAY: ABS/CORE
    - bicycle crunches (3X20)
    - leg lifts(3X20)
    - scissor kicks(3X20)

THURSDAY: ARMS
    - machines (lat pull, triceps, flys - 3X15 of each)
    - 3-way shoulders (with 5 lb. weights - lift arms straight out from sides then in front you you in a "v", then out from sides with elbows bent 90 degrees - 3X8)

FRIDAY: LANE SWIM

SUNDAY:
    - planks (centre/up downs, sides/arm raises)

For cardio, i love running, so each day I go to the gym, I hop on the treadmill for a 35 min run and then I'll go on either the stepper or the elliptical for 20 mins after that. On sundays, I just run. Also, I've made up my own names for some of this stuff so I remember what it is, so I appologize if it doesn't make perfect sense!

I go on shape.com for most of my workout and recipe ideas, great magazine!

Excellent!