Too much Protein or Iron?

Options
What are the negatives of getting too much of this in your diet? This is a place I am consistently going over. Your thoughts, folks?

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I need to know this too....I'm always way over in protein...
  • Knaroz
    Knaroz Posts: 23
    Options
    Extremely high protein like 300g+ a day can tax your kidney's as they have to filter it, but I doubt you are hitting that much
  • aab1
    aab1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Bump...I'm intersted to hear people's thoughts as well.

BTW @ Mountain_woman - CONGRATULATIONS on hitting your 100lbs goal. That's awesome!! When did you start your journey?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    MFP gives protein at 15% a balanced diet can go up to 30% and some people are on high protein diets of 40% plus. So you can double the amount and still have a balanced diet or go even higher as a high protein diet and be fine.
  • bcoger
    bcoger Posts: 1
    Options
    Agreed! Always over protein, Vitamins, Calclum and Iron!!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I bumped my protein up... its generally set at like 20% of your daily caloric intake.. I bumped mine up to 25% and now I am doing great!!! its almost hard to get in all my protein

It is hard to eat too much iron, especially for women because we menstrate, we lose a lot of iron, so eating extra is no big deal. If you start to become constipated then you probably know you are eating too much iron. Although constipation can be triggered by many different foods. but Iron will cause it too.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I'm at 40% protein right now. Tried to up it to 50% when I was preparing for P90X but couldn't get there. Also couldn't keep my carbs at 30%. So now I'm at 40/40/20 and it seems to be working out very, very well.
  • farmgirl88
    farmgirl88 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels suggests that a breakdown of 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat is best for some people. I went in a manually changed my goals to these proportions--now I can hardly make my daily protein goal!

While I was in there, I also adjusted my sugar to 15-30g and sodium intake to 1,500-2,000mg to further encourage me to make better choices with my calories.

Hope this helps!
  • lisa451999
    Options
    Good question! I am eating between 150-200 grams of protein a day because I am trying to build muscle but I feel I may be eating too much. I don't know the answer so I will just keep eating my eggs and chicken until I hear otherwise. :smile:
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    What about Fiber....I go way over on that sometimes too......
  • Mountain_woman
    Mountain_woman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Bump...I'm intersted to hear people's thoughts as well.

BTW @ Mountain_woman - CONGRATULATIONS on hitting your 100lbs goal. That's awesome!! When did you start your journey?

Last March. And I am still on my journey to a fitter me. Thanks for the props! This site is an amazing source of support!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    What about Fiber....I go way over on that sometimes too......

don't worry about your fiber.... you can eat tons of fiber up to like 30 grams a day and it not effect you negatively. Just make sure you are drinking lots of water.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Be careful on the iron. Protein isn't a big deal as long as you stay under around 2g per lb. of body weight. You don't need any more than that.
    You can OD on iron and it will make you sick. For example, I get a lot of iron (around 250/day) and can be just fine, but if I add a multivitamin into the mix, it makes me so ill that I'll vomit immediately and have nausea for the rest of the day. The MV put me over 350/day and it was way too much for my body. If you get that sensation, then you are taking in too much iron.
    Rule of thumb is just listen to your body.