Opinions needed: Polar FT4 or FT7??

Options
I am torn between the two. Help! I need your thoughts to help me pick. I have the $$ for either HRM. Thanks everyone!

Replies

• melischemitz
    melischemitz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 and I love it.
  • vraesgame
    vraesgame Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    i also have the ft4 (the bronze color) and i love it! i'm not sure what the differences between the two are though....
  • aallison85
    aallison85 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have the same question! Bump!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 and I love it. Seems to be accurate. I don't know the differences either.
  • kt_rubino
    kt_rubino Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i also have the ft4 (the bronze color) and i love it! i'm not sure what the differences between the two are though....

Do you like the color of your FT4? Thats my main problem im not sure if ill like the color of it.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    To my knowledge the differences are that the FT7 allows you to upload info to your computer and it tells you if you are increasing fitness or in the burning fat. Both of those features are crap (fitness and fat loss setting) as the fat burning zone really isn't what everyone thinks, you burn less cals and fat in that zone than if you worked out harder and your HR was in the higher zone.

So that being said, would the capability to upload your info to your computer be something you would want and be willing to pay extra for? That is really the big difference between the 2.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The only difference between them is the FT7 keeps a longer exercise log of your past work outs...The FT7 keeps like 99 previous workouts and the FT4 keeps like 10. Anyone want to confirm? You can also hook the FT7 up to a computer to upload the data.

They both tell you calories burned, exercise time, and HR.

I just looked at them over the weekend and bought the FT7. However Amazon is running a sale on the FT4 for like $67 dollars and the FT7 is like $109. So that's a big price difference for just 1 extra program.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 in bronze. I didn't need one with all those bells and whistles.
    I love it :):):)
    The bronze isn't my favorite, but you could buy the mens (it's just a little bigger and black/silver).
    Best investment ever!
  • msproducer
    msproducer Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am loving my FT4. It's my new favorite toy. I've only seen one color, which is pretty much neutral. I only wear it during exercise, so the color of it didn't matter to me. It was cool to even wear it during water aerobics last week.
  • mallorybriann
    Options
    My FT4 does store data. The past 9 to 10 exercises.
    The only difference between them is the FT7 keeps an exercise log of your past work outs...I don't remember how many. The FT4 does not keep an exercise log. You will need to write everything down if you want to look back at previous workouts.

They both tell you calories burned, exercise time, and HR.

I just looked at them over the weekend and bought the FT7. However Amazon is running a sale on the FT4 for like $67 dollars and the FT7 is like $109. So that's a big price difference for just 1 extra program.
  • kt_rubino
    Options
    The FT7 allows you to upload info to your computer and it tells you if you are increasing fitness or in the burning fat. Both of those features are crap (fitness and fat loss setting) as the fat burning zone really isn't what everyone thinks, you burn less cals and fat in that zone than if you worked out harder and your HR was in the higher zone.

So that being said, would the capability to upload your info to your computer be something you would want and be willing to pay extra for? That is really the big difference between the 2.
  • mikeyml
    Options
    My FT4 does store data.

Thanks! I just edited my post because I realized I was wrong. How many does it hold?
  • kt_rubino
    Options
    The FT7 allows you to upload info to your computer and it tells you if you are increasing fitness or in the burning fat. Both of those features are crap (fitness and fat loss setting) as the fat burning zone really isn't what everyone thinks, you burn less cals and fat in that zone than if you worked out harder and your HR was in the higher zone.

It would be nice to upload info to my computer but I thought another acessory was needed to be able to upload? But your saying that i can upload to my computer just by purchasing the HRM? Also have you used the upload feature, is it worth the $$?
  • mallorybriann
    Options
    9 to 10.
    :)
    My FT4 does store data.

Thanks! I just edited my post because I realized I was wrong. How many does it hold?
  • daphne_gets_fit
    daphne_gets_fit Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4, and I LOVE it!!, I don't really need to upload the data to the computer because you can do that on here when you are done working out.
  • RussianLynx
    Options
    I have the F11, but wanted to weigh in on the whole logging past workouts and uploading them to a computer. My model allows me to do both, but honestly... I have never looked up how to use that feature. I log my calories and time in the exercise section of MFP and therefore, have never felt the need to upload that same info elsewhere.

So in deciding between the two models you're considering, think of whether you would need that extra feature of storing more than 10 workouts and the ability to upload your workout info from your HRM.

That being said, I love my Polar HRM and would highly recommend the brand in general.
  • mikeyml
    Options
    Ok so the main differences are the FT4 holds 9 or 10 past workouts and the FT7 holds 99. And the FT7 lets you upload your data log to the website. Wish I would have known that over the weekend or I would have bought the FT4 instead. The sales rep told me it doesn't hold any previous data. =/

To transfer the files the Owner's Manual says:

Transfer Data

For a long-term follow-up, store all your training files at polarpersonaltrainer.com web service. There you can view detailed information of your training data and get a better understanding of your training. With Polar FlowLink* it is easy to transfer training files to the web service. Alternatively you can transfer your training data manually to polarpersonaltrainer.com.

How to set your PC for data transmission

1. Register at polarpersonaltrainer.com
    2. Download and install the Polar WebSync software on your computer at polarpersonaltrainer.com.
    3. WebSync software is automatically activated when the box "Launch the Polar WebSync" is ticked at the end of the installation.
    4. Plug in your FlowLink in the USB port of the computer. The DATA symbol turns to yellow when FlowLink is connected to your PC. Place your training computer onto FlowLink, display facing down.
    5. Follow the data transfer process and the instructions for downloading the data, from the WebSync Software on your computer screen. For further instructions on data transfer, see polarpersonaltrainer.com "Help".

To transfer data in the future follow the points 4 and 5 as instructed above.

* Optional Polar FlowLink required.
  • kt_rubino
    Options
    You are all awesome! Thank you for your opinions and for helping me weigh my options! Im going with the FT4! I will continue to log my workouts here on MFP my fave website! Have a great day everyone! Im off to purchase my HRM :-)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

It would be nice to upload info to my computer but I thought another acessory was needed to be able to upload? But your saying that i can upload to my computer just by purchasing the HRM? Also have you used the upload feature, is it worth the $$?

I believe you do need another device, not sure how much it is though. I went with the FT4, when deciding between the 2.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Are these watch models or do they come with a chest strap?