No Longer Hungry

Options
Prior to my calorie counting, I had the worlds largest appetite. Ok, maybe not that big, but it was big for me. A month and a half ago is when I started watching my calories it was. My new problem is not eating too much, but now its eating too little. In the last seven days, I have frequently been under my calorie goal (1200), but I'm just not hungry enough to bother making something I'm going to take two bites of, then toss back into the refrigerator.

Has anyone else had this problem from going from one extreme to another? I'm concerned to go into starvation mode because I know I'm not getting enough calories, but I'm sort of confused on how to fix it. Should I force myself to eat even when I'm not hungry?

Replies

• tinabailie
    Options
    If you started eating say 1800 cals then going to 1200 is just too big a jump. I would suggest starting a little higher and getting used to it first then drop down to 1200. I know I have 1400 and it is hard for me to eat that right now! Hope it works out for you! :)
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I will admit right off the bat that I'm not all that educated on the whole calorie thing. I know enough about it for my own use, but I can't really give any advice to anyone else.

Here's what I've noticed that works for me. Listening to my body. I notice on days when I have more intense workouts, my body will tell me that it wants more food. On other days, I won't be that hungry.

It does take some practice if you are used to eating to curb other things such as boredom or stress, because you really have to be in tune with your body and know when its hungry. But I think for me, it works so much better than counting calories.

Good luck!
  • gburkhart2
    gburkhart2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The easiest thing I've found to alleviate this problem is to plan ahead so you can sneak in small snacks/meals periodically throughout the day. An apple here, some carrots there or even a "meal replacement" bar.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    If you are just starting out, its not really a good idea to start at the lowest setting, because you have no where to go from there. Its better to work down to that, so that your body isn't getting used to that calorie amount, and your weight loss will be less likely to stall. Also, if you are having problems getting that many calories, eat things that are higher in calories, like peanut butter, nuts, avocados, etc. Then you won't be eating as much, but you will still get your calories in.
  • lovenk
    lovenk Posts: 19
    Options
    Im new tho this but I had that pop up last night when I finished the day. I choked down a yogurt but I was still under my calories for the day. I don't want to slow down and I hear you have to have "fuel" to loose weight so I will try to be as close to my calories as possible. I will do better today (Fat Tuesday) Arrrggg!!
    Good Luck!:smile:
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Im new tho this but I had that pop up last night when I finished the day. I choked down a yogurt but I was still under my calories for the day. I don't want to slow down and I hear you have to have "fuel" to loose weight so I will try to be as close to my calories as possible. I will do better today (Fat Tuesday) Arrrggg!!

I have heard the same thing. You need calories aka fuel in order to lose weight. What is turning you off about food? The texture, taste, the feeling in your stomach? Are you having nausea? Cause maybe you can pin-point what it is and then go from there. I have rarely have this problem unless I am sick...LOL hence being overweight :)
    I do know that pretzels help me when I exercise too much and feel nauseous. I think it is because its salty. Which brings up dehydration, are you drinking enough? :)
    I know I know, I ask too many questions. Take care hun. <3
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

I have heard the same thing. You need calories aka fuel in order to lose weight. What is turning you off about food? The texture, taste, the feeling in your stomach? Are you having nausea? Cause maybe you can pin-point what it is and then go from there. I have rarely have this problem unless I am sick...LOL hence being overweight :)
    I do know that pretzels help me when I exercise too much and feel nauseous. I think it is because its salty. Which brings up dehydration, are you drinking enough? :)
    I know I know, I ask too many questions. Take care hun. <3

I love food! LOVE LOVE LOVE! Lately, my tastes seem to be all sorts of off. Things I normally make and eat just dont taste right. I've also had weird cravings (weird for me anyway), like for beef? I dont eat beef (um, weird allergy to the amount of hormones they get stuffed with...Long story...), unless it is very very very slow roasted in a crock pot for like 12+ hours. I bought a roast last night that I plan to prepare for tonight. Now, I eat Chicken, and I can only eat a couple bites at it completely unappetizing to me.

I went grocery shopping last night and had the hardest time picking out anything that even looked appetizing :( Which makes me sad, because I really enjoy cooking.

I drink approximately 4-7 glasses of water a day, so I think my hydration is ok (I alwayd forget to log my water on here though...DOH).

Maybe I did just move too fast from one extreme to another? I mean, I'm not going to lie, I love pizza and wings. I would probably honestly have pizza a couple times a week etc etc etc, so I probably went from a 2000-2500 (if not more some days, I dont know though because I wasnt counting) to 1200 like....right away. Is it possible to totally shock your system doing this?
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    You know, it does seem like quite the shock to your system. If your craving beef I would think there is some vitamin in it your not getting enough of. You know me, I am not an expert, but I think it helps having someone from the outside look at it so that they reflect the big picture back to you. Not to mention my mom in law is a nurse and an organic, nutrition and vitamin nut. So I get a ton of info from her on these things. She has always told me to listen to my body and it really does help. The tricky part is trying to understand what it is actually saying. I cant ignore that you are not liking any foods but only craving beef. Especially because your not a big red meat eater. So I went to a few websites and found which vitamins are in it.

The main ones are:

* B vitamins are known to help maintain your metabolism, immune system and blood glucose levels, form healthy red blood cells and hemoglobin and combat fatigue, diarrhea, constipation, memory loss and anemia.
    * Zinc, It is known to help maintain your immune system, explains the Office of Dietary Supplements. It also helps form protein and DNA within your body, heal wounds and sustain your senses of smell and taste.
    * Selenium This trace mineral is an important component to selenoproteins, which act like antioxidants in the body and prevent free radicals from damaging healthy cells. Damaged cells are known to contribute to heart disease and cancer, so selenium may help lower your risk of these conditions.
    * Iron; Beef is also rich in iron, providing you with almost 25 percent of your daily recommended value in a 4-ounce cut. Iron helps build the proteins and enzymes needed to maintain your overall health, while facilitating the transport of oxygen and regulation of cell growth. It's also known to combat fatigue, poor concentration and anemia.

Maybe try eating some foods that are high in these vitamins and see if it helps? Hopefully that will do it and once you get some of the vitamins you need your appetite will come back. Hey, just look at is as a reason to cook some new things. :)
  • heatherisom
    heatherisom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey aimssc---- I am going through the exact same thing. I have been on MFP for over a week and just not hungry a lot of the times. I do eat when I am hungry and have a boredom snack at night, but usually an under my calories by 300-400 daily. I refuse to eat crap foods to get to my calorie goal, but I figure that ol' mother nature will catch up one week this month and then I will wish I was in this boat.