Clean eating -fresh peppers??!!

rvice2
rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
As I lose more and more weight, I am more interested in the healthy side of it as opposed to how much weight I see on the scale. I am trying to get away from canned foods, frozen foods, etc and try to use mostly fresh products. However, I LOVE jalepeno peppers, banana peppers, and pepperoncini's. All of these I buy in a jar and they are LOADED in sodium. How can I buy them fresh, but give the the texture/consistency of those in the jar to use on my veggie wraps? I don't like them totally raw!

Replies

• Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    can them yourself. google canning and find the instructions on how to.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    I dont like any of these so not sure how they taste in the jar :) but you can look into recipes for caning - the kind that don't require heat sealing the jars, just the kind that you make to eat in the next few weeks. Just peppers, vinegar and a little other stuff. (Or you can go all out and can them).
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Hmmm...I have no immediate input on this, but I have a friend who eats clean that I can ask. I am in the early phases of implementing clean eating into my family meals! I am pretty sure they're boiled and then pickled which of course is super salty. As far as getting them to have a softer texture, you can roast them or saute them. They won't have the same taste, but they're still delicious!
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    The only thing I can think of is to start pickling them yourself. That way you can control the sodium content. Otherwise they can be eaten dried and crushed or you could throw them in a food processor with some of your other ingredients.
    Sorry, that's the best I think of tonight - brain's getting slow.
  • can them yourself. google canning and find the instructions on how to.

Like :)
  • dababers
    dababers Posts: 135
    I put them on a baking sheet with some canola spray, put them in a hot oven until the skins start to bubble. Not pickled, but will probably be the consistency you're looking for. Good luck.
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    I put them on a baking sheet with some canola spray, put them in a hot oven until the skins start to bubble. Not pickled, but will probably be the consistency you're looking for. Good luck.

Thanks everyone! I think this is what I am looking for! I will definitely try it. I don't really want to pickle them b/c there is so much sodium.
This discussion has been closed.