Too much protein...but under my calories!

Options
I'm sure this has been addressed before but after my searches I can't find an answer.

I'm eating healthy, right around my 1300 calories per day (most of the time a little under) and steadily losing weight. I have zero complaints.

Except...I have recently discovered a pattern...I keep eating too much protein. I am a creature of habit, for the most part. I eat the same thing for breakfast every day, and usually the same thing for lunch. My dinner varies quite a bit, tho. For example, I eat my yogurt, fruit and granola or grapenuts for breakfast, a chicken or tuna sandwich with a salad for lunch, and then dinner. My fat and carbs are usually quite a bit under my daily allowance but I cannot figure out how to eat a healthy, satisfying meal without adding protein to it. My allowed protein is 50 and I'm up around 80+. Am I doing damage? Any ideas from anyone out there?

Who knew that eating right would be so dadgum difficult?! Thanks in advance for your comments!

Replies

• twinwolf
    twinwolf Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    No such thing as too much protein in the range you are in.. You're fine.. What i will caution you to do is to make sure you drink lots of water. 96 ounces minimum, 120 is better.. Just my two cents..
  • lperezlopes
    Options
    I'm usually over on protein too but I don't think you should worry to much, better to be over on protein than on fat! Are you working out? Extra protein is great when you are working out.
  • niknik43
    niknik43 Posts: 36
    Options
    Ok...thanks, twinwolf. I think I'm drinking plenty of water...at least 64 ounces per day, sometimes more if I throw in a jug of unsweetened iced tea. No soda...not even diet.
  • niknik43
    Options
    I'm usually over on protein too but I don't think you should worry to much, better to be over on protein than on fat! Are you working out? Extra protein is great when you are working out.

Yes, usually about 3 days a week I do beginning (and I promise...it ain't pretty!) yoga/fitness ball workouts for 45 minutes to an hour.
  • BigBear99
    Options
    i agree with lperezlopes, its k to have more protein as long as u exercise, i use my treadmill for at least 60 min a day
  • cptino
    cptino Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The protein number listed is on the low end of the range. According to my trainer, being over in protein is not an issue. It helps rebuild muscle and heal it after a work out. As was already said, just make sure your water intake is up, which it sounds like it is.
  • mikedraper
    mikedraper Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello, I would agree with the other posts here, don't worry about too much protein. I'm working out 6 days a week for 1 1/2 each morning. I'm trying to eat 120g of protein each day. I am losing weight, about 2-3 pounds per week. My problem is I'm finding it hard to eat that much protein without going over my calorie/fat intake limit. Good luck in your goals. :)
  • cptino
    cptino Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    @mikedraper that is a hard thing to do sometimes (under cal, and reach protein). I eat Special K Protein Plus cereal that is low in fat and cals but HIGH in protein. Just thought I would share!
  • niknik43
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I feel better now. I was beginning to think that every time I finally get something figured out...I get the chair kicked out from under me!

I won't worry about my protein intake anymore. I'm just gonna keep on keepin' on...if it isn't broke, don't fix it, right?!
  • brittfam
    brittfam Posts: 34
    Options
    Awesome question.. I was just wondering that today!
  • mikedraper
    mikedraper Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks cptino for the advice on the cereal, i'll give it a try. :)
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    MFP reccomends 15% of your cals to come from protein, you can change the percentages if you do custom change of your goals.

I have my protein set to 30%, carbs to 55% and fat to 15%.

15% protein is pretty low.
  • niknik43
    Options
    MFP reccomends 15% of your cals to come from protein, you can change the percentages if you do custom change of your goals.

I have my protein set to 30%, carbs to 55% and fat to 15%.

15% protein is pretty low.
    Wow. Thank you so much. I changed it and feel better already. Thanks again!