Fiber?

PenguinPrincess
PenguinPrincess Posts: 101
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
I eat a fiber cereal for breakfast and sometimes snack on a fiber bar during the day. This mixed with the regular fiber in other foods I almost always go over on the fiber goal. Is too much fiber a bad thing?

Replies

• Briacha
    Briacha Posts: 160 Member
    great question! bump :)
  • cptino
    cptino Posts: 46 Member
    Over on fiber is not a bad thing. Just make sure you are drinking PLENTY of water.... if you have more fiber and not enough water, it could actually constipate you. Eat the fiber but keep drinking!
  • hildacrowe
    hildacrowe Posts: 1 Member
    I dont think you can have too much fiber. When you are eating healthy\trying to lose weight, fiber is GREAT to keep you satisfied for a long time. It also helps digestion and has other benefits. (just google it!)
    too much sugar? bad. Too much fiber? AWESOME!
  • EvilPirateJohn
    EvilPirateJohn Posts: 47 Member
    Well, how much do you go over? Exceeding your limit is not bad, I just wouldn't try to double that amount because some people could have digestion issues.

My daily goal is 31 grams, and I'm usually somewhere between 10 under or 10 over. I don't have any side-effects when I go over.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    I don't think it's bad at all. I always try to meet my goal and when i go over i'm happy :-)
    Yeah, drinking a lot of water is the way to go too.
  • Usually around 15g over. Sometimes more, sometimes less.
  • judyfurtado
    judyfurtado Posts: 42 Member
    Fiber for a women under 50 is 25 grams a day. I always get way more than MFP allows me. Make sure you drink alot of water though because too much fiber and not enough water can back you up.
  • loganaw
    loganaw Posts: 62 Member
    too much fiber is never a bad thing. the only time it can cause problems is if you consume too much fiber and don't have enough water to help it do its job. fiber, without water, is like trying to stuff a dry sponge down a small tube. it doesn't work and won't fit unless the sponge has enough water to absorb to successfully slide through. make sense? i aim for atleast 25g a day.
This discussion has been closed.