Where Does Self Control Come From?

Options
13»

Replies

• Sarahbear83
    Sarahbear83 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You are not a weak person for giving into temptation. Eventually most people will. Especially in the earlier stages of making healthy changes to their lifestyles. It's easier, at this point in the game, to just remove the temptation all together. Even if you ordered 4 boxes of cookies, give some away to co-workers or family before you get home or leave them in the break room at work. If you have to have some cookies, take out a serving and go for a walk while your family enjoys the rest of the box and/or puts away the package. Get rid of it as fast as you can so you aren't facing constant temptation and then beating yourself up for 'failing' when you can't resist it anymore.
  • ajax03
    ajax03 Posts: 96
    Options
    :sad: **just finished my 8TH Carmel Delight **
  • autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    I don't have self control either........if the stuff is in the house is calls out to me.......and I won't stop at just one or two either.

The only way for me is to NOT have it in the house.

I'm not really tempted to buy it at the store.....as long as I'm not hungry when I'm shopping..

So....I'm not too thrilled when others bring stuff in the house I don't want to eat.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    THis is going to sound weird, but my salvation is a cup of hot cocoa. Nearly every day since New Year's, someone has brought donuts (my MAJOR weekness), coffee cake, cupcakes or some other baked good to the office (minimum of 200 cals for a donut, prob more for the other stuff). I bring a travel mug of hot cocoa (about 100 cals) to work every day, and then I just walk away from the office kitchen. I slowly sip my yummy cocoa (non-diet, I want to enjoy it!) and haven't had a baked good yet this year.

Now people at the office are coming up to me asking me how I'm losing weight, with all the kitchen treats available. I've got my cocoa, and I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

My point is, find something that will satisfy you, measure it out.... ENJOY IT, and walk away from the bad temptation. Stay with the controlled treat.
  • shyaamist
    shyaamist Posts: 34
    Options
    This may sound silly, but I refuse to buy girl scout cookies simply because I don't feel $3.50 if worth it! I'm trying to use this thought process on other foods as well... so far, so good! :flowerforyou:
  • TheMrsFitnessGeek
    TheMrsFitnessGeek Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I had ordered a case of GS tagalongs before the diet started and then they came after I started dieting. No I didn't even open them, I sold them. My self control comes from wanting this weight loss and body reformation more than I will ever want the cookies or breads or fats. To me it's a question of how bad do I want this. If I give in that means I don't want it very bad. I don't give in!

This is exactly how I feel! You have to want it more than you want anything else. I have had to learn self control, and it has been hard. I don't want to insult anyone or say no ( I also can't have just one lol). I had 2 Do-si-dos yesterday and I ordered 12 boxes from my daughter to help make her goal. I am selling the rest. I worked those two cookies into my plan, and that is all I will have. SO my self control tactic is : Want better for yourself more than ANYTHING else in the world..including Do-si-dos ;P
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Personally just like I use to talk myself into over eating I will talk myself out of eating food that isn't going to lead me towards my goal. I'm just determined to succeed.

My husband just came home from the orient and my neighbor made him his favorite homemade almond cake. My fav also. She sent me the reciepe and I inputted it in here. If I slice the cake in 12 slices, each slice is over 800 calories. 800 CALORIES!! So guess what? It use to be my fav. For 800 calories I can have a healthy feast! After seeing those numbers I know longer wanted a slice. Its so not worth it.
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    Food is just food and will always be there. I don't NEED to eat GS cookies now, because next year, after I have reached my goal weight, I can order a box or two (that is, if I still want them or do not talk myself out of it). McDonald's isn't going anywhere, I don't have to miss their french fries and filet-o-fish sandwiches because they will ALWAYS be around and I can get one later. This is my attitude towards the foods I used to love and eat all the time. Luckily, the healthier I eat, the more my tastes are changing and I prefer more nutritious foods - I think by the time I reach my goal, I will probably not want the junk food anymore.

And I agree with logging food ahead of time. I plan at least 1 day in advance (sometimes 2), and if I want a treat I put it on my diary first, then work the whole day around it. Eating a diet high in protein will help curb the sugar cravings, this has worked for me. I find preventing the cravings is much easier than trying to fight them once they have arrived.

Where does my self control come from? From my desire to reach my goal and not let anything stop me. FOOD doesn't control me. I still have an occasional oopsie but I don't let it get me down, I don't wait until the next day to get back on the wagon, I jump right back on immediatly. You have seen success in the past so you know you can do it! Believe in yourself, I know it's cheesy, but if you KNOW you can do it, you WILL.

ETA: and I also agree with the people that said to set mini-goals. I have my first mini-goal coming up, and knowing that I need to lose 3 pounds in a little over 2 weeks keeps me from snacking on junk because I am SO CLOSE to reaching that little goal! I have mini goals planned for every couple of months to help me stay on track, it's working so far :)
  • reasonablyvain
    Options
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/554929

There are some really good tips there, it's really helped me to deal with reducing my calories more this week! In the end you just have to remind yourself that you are a grown up who can make decisions especially about what you put into your body. Recognize that you absolutely can say no to chocolate, or scout cookies or whatever and that saying you can't is really just an excuse. Once you have said no there's a wonderful feeling of power that follows and the more you do it the easier it gets. Try to identify all of the thought processes you use to convince yourself it's ok to eat more. A major one is the classic "I already ate to much may as well stuff my face today and start fresh tomorrow."
  • sophiajackson99
    Options
    Rather than try to control myself, I try to look at the drive behind the idea that I'm not getting enough, or not getting what I want. When that changes, when I believe that I'm getting enough and what I need, there is no need for control. I know I'm a radical here, but that's what I believe. Self control day in and day, was exhausting and not maintainable (for me).

I think of it like alcohol. When I was 18 and not allowed to drink, it was the most interesting and exciting thing in the world. When I turned 21 and could have it for breakfast if I wanted, the desire faded. I can have cookies if I want. A whole box if I need it. I just don't usually want them now. For me, the freedom takes away the need for self control.
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You should just log your calories and move on. Try to stay under your daily goal and you will be fine. Even if you go over a little, it's ok.

I have found that since I switched over to eating 6 meals a day(5 for women), with protein at every meal, I have hardly ever been hungry. I had a piece of cake for my birthday yesterday and kept it very small. I just wasn't that hungry. You don't need a lot of willpower if you aren't that hungry.

It takes 21 days to create a good habit. Really not that long when you think about it.