cravings! HELP!

Options
How do you guys deal with craving for unhealthy foods?? i have been having alot of these lately (chocolate, fast food, doritos)! i work out hard and love going to the gym but i really need to work on my diet if im gonna lose weight i feel like my hard work at the gym is getting voided out by my caving into some of these cravings. HEEEEELP!!

Replies

• UneJolieFemme
    UneJolieFemme Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't keep any bad food in my house and theres a note in my wallet for me to see in case I want it so bad Im ready to go buy it.
    I want chocolate tonight :sad:
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Chocolate craving = swiss miss diet cocoa. Only 25 calories.
    Plus its a good source of calcium.
  • JenniferTasso
    JenniferTasso Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am an ice cream freak!...But I have found something that takes the craving away, and is much healthier...Chobani Greek Yogurt....It's more like a dessert...they have all kinds of flavors, there is fruit on the bottom, and with only 14-160 cals per 6oz, and 14 grams of protein...I can eat it, and not feel guilty....As far as doritos...have you tried the baked ones? They are really good, and for a serving size are not that bad...as long as you don't eat the whole bag..(like my husband) LOL
  • cheekyme03
    Options
    For me personally, for the first couple of weeks I changed my eating habits, I couldn't even look at the foods without wanting them. Then I realized that if I keep up with that I am going to give in one day and totally gorge! So, I just take a look at the serving size and think "how long is it going to take to work this off? Is it worth it?" Sometimes the answer is yes, (half a slice of cheesecake...mmmm...) or not 15 doritos is how much??? lol hopefully this helps!
  • kristaszymanik
    kristaszymanik Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I got this from the instinct diet and it definitely helps with my cravings:
    Sweet: Melt one square of Ghirardelli - 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar over 1/4C of fiber one (original bran) cereal... mix together... let cool in fridge... it ends up being right around 100 calories. The fiber from the cereal fills me up so I can't eat much more while I've gotten my chocolate fix!
    Salty: sprinkle seasoning of your choice (I prefer Old Bay) over 1/4 C of fiber one (original bran) cereal... again, fill up on the fiber while getting the desired flavor.
    Be sure that you drink plenty of water so that the fiber does expand in your stomach/intestines to achieve the full flavor.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I am an ice cream freak!...But I have found something that takes the craving away, and is much healthier...Chobani Greek Yogurt....It's more like a dessert...they have all kinds of flavors, there is fruit on the bottom, and with only 14-160 cals per 6oz, and 14 grams of protein...I can eat it, and not feel guilty....As far as doritos...have you tried the baked ones? They are really good, and for a serving size are not that bad...as long as you don't eat the whole bag..(like my husband) LOL

Ice cream freak here, too. I've been putting berries into my greek yogurt, then freezing it- it's like a tart frozen yogurt... SO good :love:
  • sleight119
    sleight119 Posts: 125
    Options
    I have just a little or I eat other stuff and end up eating more than if would have had just a lil
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i keep lower cal- healthier options in the house :o)
    example- frozen fat free cool whip (10 cals a tbsp), chocolate vitatops (100 cals & tons of nutrients & fiber), skinny cow ice cream (varies), jollytime popcorn (90 cals a bag & tons of fiber), etc.
  • jenrobyoung
    Options
    For me personally, for the first couple of weeks I changed my eating habits, I couldn't even look at the foods without wanting them. Then I realized that if I keep up with that I am going to give in one day and totally gorge! So, I just take a look at the serving size and think "how long is it going to take to work this off? Is it worth it?" Sometimes the answer is yes, (half a slice of cheesecake...mmmm...) or not 15 doritos is how much??? lol hopefully this helps!

I try to do this as well, but I work in Grocery stores so the temtation is really high since all of the Junk food is right up front!!! I do find it very hard to resist, but if I do cheet and get something then I look at how much extra I took in and require myself to burn it of in my workout. [Or at least I am getting beter about it :)]
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,265 Member
    Options
    bump
  • breannk
    breannk Posts: 92
    Options
    Thanks everyone you are awesome! im definately gonna put a note in my wallet and to think about how long it will take to burn that off and decide if it is worth it or not! :) and try out some of the alternatives for sweets and salty things!
  • kimistry35
    kimistry35 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    TRY EATING FRUIT OR THE 100 CAL OR 90 CAL SNACKS LIKE SPECIAL K OR FIT & ACTIVE IT ALWAYS HELP ME IN MY TIME OF NEED LIKE TODAY FOR INSTANTS.....I REALLY NEEDED MY CHOCOLATE......
  • itskristina
    itskristina Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I found a box of pillsbury sugar free brownies. It's not so light that you feel like you want more, and it gets rid of the craving. I'm not sure exactly how good or bad they are for you, but I continue to stay under my calorie goal.
  • underdegun
    Options
    No one will like this answer because everyone wants an easy way.

Sorry. But the only ways to deal with cravings are 1) substitution or, 2) will power. The only one that actually works is the latter.

Either you are in control of your body or your body is in control of you. Willpower, like any muscle, requires exercise. Every time you use it, your willpower becomes just a little stronger. Do it a hundred times and at the end your willpower will be so much stronger than when you did it the first time.

So, face the craving head on then, turn around and walk way. A craving is nothing more than a feeling. You feel hot, you feel cold, you feel fear, you feel a craving. Take control of your feelings. It will benefit you in ALL aspects of your life.

Think of it like a rider and a horse. "You" are the rider - your Body is the horse. The "rider" decides what the "horse is fed, what time the "horse" is fed, and how much the "horse" is fed.

It all comes down to saying to yourself that horrible word that you never like to hear. Say it enough times to yourself in regards to all sorts of situations and see how your life changes. The word is "no".

Cheers All.
  • breannk
    breannk Posts: 92
    Options
    underdegun, Thanks i know i didnt want to hear that but i definately needed to! My will power needs alot of work. i just need to get my mind off of cravings and say no to myself!