Start running??

Options
I can not remember the last time I attempted to run. Therefore, I supplement running with walking. Right now, I have reached my max speed which is 4.0mile per hour. My goal this April is to a 5K effortlessly. How do I start running?

Replies

• orangeswild123
    Options
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml This is the couch to 5k plan! It builds you up to running a 5k with walking first then adding small amounts of running. Then each week you build up your skill! :)
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I just started running, as well. Couch to 5k seems like the way to go, I'm on week 2!!
  • phassie
    phassie Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks orangewild :) I will check it out.
  • angiedwill
    angiedwill Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Last week I joined a walk/run clinic. I am soooo not a runner. This clinic is training for a 5K that will take place in May. We train for 10 weeks. I thought that there was no way in the world I could run, but the incriments these ladies put it in for me helps a lot. We meet twice a week and do the program at least once more on our own. This is what we have done so far. The two days last week we did a warm up lap then ran for 15 seconds and walked for three minutes. We alternated between the walking and running for 30 minutes then did a cool down. This week we have kept the three minute walks but upped the running to 30 seconds. It's not so bad!!! I am lovin it!!!!!! So much so that my motivation has improved so much that I got out and walked 3 miles yesterday!!!!! YOU CAN DO IT TOO!!!!!!!!!
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    the run/walk method is really good, and it is the best for preventing injuries. i checked out the couch to 5K link on this thread just now - and it looks like a good plan! also check out jeff galloway's training regimen on http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/index.html. he also recommends a run/walk method, and this is what i used when training for my 1st half marathon.

either way, i highly recommend investing in an interval timer - my favorite is the Gymboss timer which you can order online. you can set the length for each interval (2 max), and specify how many rounds. very useful and will be a lot more convenient than checking your watch every few minutes.