Breakfast before I work out?

Options
rvice2
rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
Question: I get up at 4:45 to head to the gym and I get there by 5:30a.m. I do a 10 minute mile on the treadmill followed by a 45 minute spin class and then I do 30 minutes of lifting. (Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays). On Tuesdays and Thursdays I get up and run 4 miles. Currently, I don't eat until I get to work at 7:30 and I have high fiber oatmeal with a tablespoon of flax seed and skim milk along with 2 hard boiled eggs (whites only). Should I eat BEFORE I go to the gym as well? I don't have time to eat at home as I literally get up and rush out, but maybe a protein shake that I make the night before or one bought already made or even a granola bar or something? I'm hungry when I wake up, but it usually goes away by the time I get to the gym. I am on my last 10 pounds so I am trying to tweak things to get the maximum results possible. Thanks!

Replies

• Lady_G
    Lady_G Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I was always told not to eat for at least 2 hours before doing a workout. I would therefore continue with what you are doing.

Welcome to the site.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You need to fuel your body with something--even if it is just a banana and piece of protein, we're talking 150-200 calories.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat, I feel as though my body needs something to run on, and you're doing a good bit of exercise. As far as not eating too close, I try to eat an hour before, no less than. If I wake up late, I still eat, just something light. I do high impact aerobics and I get worried I might throw up :)
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    I've always heard that u should have some carbs before a workout and protein after. This from my boss who used to be a professional body builder. If you havent eaten all nite & you work out then u may run the risk of becoming dizzy during your workout, plus if yuor drinking water during it, it may make your stomach upset? Everyones different.

Maybe an energy bar or something like that in the car on the way to the gym? You may have to experiment and see what works best for you. I HAVE to eat before I workout,usually about 30-60 minutes before.
  • Vanishing_Gordies
    Options
    I was always told you eat a small snack at least one hour (if you're going to eat) prior to a workout. Since you wake up so early, that's not an option. I think what you're doing is fine. Listen to your body. I used to run cross country, and before a meet we would always eat a ton of pasta with chicken or shrimp the night before so that our body had the energy and stuff it needed the next morning. It became a ritual.
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Question: I get up at 4:45 to head to the gym and I get there by 5:30a.m. I do a 10 minute mile on the treadmill followed by a 45 minute spin class and then I do 30 minutes of lifting. (Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays). On Tuesdays and Thursdays I get up and run 4 miles. Currently, I don't eat until I get to work at 7:30 and I have high fiber oatmeal with a tablespoon of flax seed and skim milk along with 2 hard boiled eggs (whites only). Should I eat BEFORE I go to the gym as well? I don't have time to eat at home as I literally get up and rush out, but maybe a protein shake that I make the night before or one bought already made or even a granola bar or something? I'm hungry when I wake up, but it usually goes away by the time I get to the gym. I am on my last 10 pounds so I am trying to tweak things to get the maximum results possible. Thanks!

You don't have to eat before you workout so if this is working for you, keep doing it! Keep it up.
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    The carbs BTW to give you some energy & the protein after to feed the muscles you just worked out
  • Vanishing_Gordies
    Options
    I've always heard that u should have some carbs before a workout and protein after. This from my boss who used to be a professional body builder. If you havent eaten all nite & you work out then u may run the risk of becoming dizzy during your workout, plus if yuor drinking water during it, it may make your stomach upset? Everyones different.

Maybe an energy bar or something like that in the car on the way to the gym? You may have to experiment and see what works best for you. I HAVE to eat before I workout,usually about 30-60 minutes before.

My thoughts exactly! And you're right about the carbs before and protein after. The carbs before gives your body the fuel it needs to handle the workout and the protein helps rebuild torn/stressed musles.
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    You could also get some Casein powder which is a slow releasing protein and take it the night before so it digests all night and you wont wake up as hungry.
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    I think its really up to you. When I run in am dont feel I want or need food when I do P90X feel I need something or I don't have enough energy to give. But I burn more calories running so who knows. try eating a little protein and carbs see if your workout improve see if you feel better. Listen to your body.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I never eat before 8am.

My morning cardio is fasted, and no I don't need carbs before to give me the energy to do 45-60 mins of hard cardio... there is plenty of energy left in you if you have eaten appropriately the day before.

If I weight train in the morning I will ensure I have protein within 45 mins of finishing training.

It's essentially up to you. Try what works for you and don't let anyone tell you "you must do this - you must do that".
  • nikkinikki113
    nikkinikki113 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I've heard that you're supposed to eat within 30 minutes of waking up to start your metabolism. I would suggest a fruit smoothie or protein shake, nothing too heavy so you don't cramp while doing your workout. (Awesome workout, I might add!)
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work. If you are making it through your workouts and you are not getting sick or light headed, then don't eat before them. You are allowing your body to go straight to your fat stores to eat them instead of newly eaten food.

You don't need to eat to start your metabolism, you are working out to start it. Keep up the good work. If you are working out to bulk up, then eat before and after. If you are working out to trim down, eat after...and waiting a little bit after is alright, too. Give your body some time to panic and pull as many calories out of your fat stores as possible.
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I remember the day I threw up a little eggs in my mouth while doing Body Pump. Haven't eaten before workout since then.
  • pwprice59
    pwprice59 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I like to eat an apple before I go workout and a.. banana afterward.
  • Paquitaray
    Paquitaray Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too wake up early and don't eat till I get to work, but I do drink water. My daughter's soccer coach would give them each an orange before running in the morning when they were in training before the season started, then a snack afterward. I guess you have to know your body and how it feels. Obviously if I get shaky during a run, I know that I should have had some protein to level off the blood sugar plunge, but that only happens to me when I run at noon before I eat lunch. Morning workouts before food don't bother me much. There are also protein recovery drinks that could help put a few calories in you without feeling heavy in your stomach.

Just some thoughts.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    As a person who used to not eat before I workout I definitely have something now before. Be it an orange or a banana at least 30 mins before. I generally have this coffee protein powder. I don't use it for the protein but it defnitely doesn't hurt. Also now that I my degree in Human Nutrition and Foods is well on its way. I know it is best to eat something before. If your don't you don't your body is just running on what is left from the night before and this is not always a good thing. If you don't have time try a larabar they are very small and provide carbs you should be fine and it is enough not to upset your tummy.

Best to eat within 30mins-1hr after exercising try not to wait any longer than 2 hours which doesn't seem to be a problem.
  • iamthepreston
    iamthepreston Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If your tank is empty you need to eat something light that is easily digested to supply you with energy for your workout.

Working out on an empty stomach creates a catabolic atmosphere in your body. When your body runs out of fuel for your workout it has to start burning muscle for energy. You want to keep all the muscle you can while losing weight.

That is a scientific explanation, but do what you feel is best.

I would recommend something like a glass of milk and a breakfast bar to eat while on the way to the gym.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I've heard that you're supposed to eat within 30 minutes of waking up to start your metabolism.

And then I would be sick 30 mins later across my spin bike handlebars... :huh:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You do not NEED to eat before working out. I do a high intensity workout (crossfit) every morning before eating a thing...I have a coffee just to wake myself up - and I perform just fine. Now after working out it is important to get protein and carbs within 30 minutes for muscle building and recovery. But the before stuff, that is your choice.