Chicken Spaghetti

Options
OomarianneoO
OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
Anyone have a decent recipe for chicken spaghetti that's somewhat healthy? My daughter keeps bugging me to make some and I'd never even heard of the stuff until I moved to Arkansas.

Replies

• OomarianneoO
    Options
    Anyone have a decent recipe for chicken spaghetti that's somewhat healthy? My daughter keeps bugging me to make some and I'd never even heard of the stuff until I moved to Arkansas.
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    i guess no one knows
  • OomarianneoO
    Options
    Someone will come up with something. I just have to be patient. :tongue:
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    I don't have a recipe, but I have made my usual recipe for chicken spaghetti healthier by just using reduced and/or fat-free ingredients (i.e., reduced fat cheese, 98% fat free cream soups, etc.) No need to search for a new recipe. Just modify the one you have!:smile:

Oh wait! Are you saying that you don't have a recipe at all? If you don't, I can certainly dig up mine and list the changes that I make. You are talking about the chicken spaghetti that is similar to chicken tetrazzini, right?
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I've honestly never heard of this, but I went on-line and this is what I found. It seems to be a Texas-Oklahoma thing. I went through a lot of high calorie versions before I found this lite one.

CHICKEN SPAGHETTI (low fat)

Serves: 8
    Effort: easy
    Comments: The original recipe came from KOTV cookbook, but I did some tweaking. You will be very surprised how rich tasting this is.

INGREDIENTS:
    Non-stick cooking spray
    12 oz. spaghetti noodles, cooked without fat or salt
    1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced up
    1 onion, chopped
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    4 ribs celery, chopped
    1 can (4 oz.) diced green chilies
    2 cans (10.5 oz. each) fat and sodium reduced cream of mushroom soup
    2 cans (10.5 oz each) 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup
    1 lb. Velveeta lite cheese cut into cubes
    1 can (5 oz.) fat-free evaporated milk
    1 can (8 oz.) chopped mushrooms

INSTRUCTIONS:
    Preheat oven to 350º. Spray a 9x13? casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
    In a large skillet sprayed with non-stick spray, sauté onion, bell pepper and celery until tender. Add soups, cheese, green chilies and milk, heat until cheese is melted and mixture is well blended.
    Add mushrooms, chicken and spaghetti. Combine well. Pour into baking dish.
    Bake for 35-40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

Nutrition information per serving: 313 calories, 37 g. Carbohydrate, 22.5 g protein, 7.4 gram fat, 3.7 g saturated fat, 50.8 mg cholesterol, 1.5 g dietary fiber, 1237 mg sodium

Serving size: 1 1/4 c.
  • ranhound
    ranhound Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've honestly never heard of this, but I went on-line and this is what I found. It seems to be a Texas-Oklahoma thing. I went through a lot of high calorie versions before I found this lite one.

Comments: The original recipe came from KOTV cookbook, but I did some tweaking. You will be very surprised how rich tasting this is.

INGREDIENTS:
    Non-stick cooking spray
    1 onion, chopped
    4 ribs celery, chopped

INSTRUCTIONS:
    Preheat oven to 350º. Spray a 9x13? casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
    In a large skillet sprayed with non-stick spray, sauté onion, bell pepper and celery until tender. Add soups, cheese, green chilies and milk, heat until cheese is melted and mixture is well blended.

Nutrition information per serving: 313 calories, 37 g. Carbohydrate, 22.5 g protein, 7.4 gram fat, 3.7 g saturated fat, 50.8 mg cholesterol, 1.5 g dietary fiber, 1237 mg sodium

• ranhound
    ranhound Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Sounds great except I'd leave out the Velveeta in favor of a light dusting of low fat parmesan or soy cheese to taste.

89050.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Journal

INGREDIENTS:
    Non-stick cooking spray
    1 onion, chopped
    4 ribs celery, chopped

INSTRUCTIONS:

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    I use the reduced fat Velveeta, but I only use about half the amount called for in the recipe.
  • chelsey787
    Options
    my boyfriend calls this "chicken and noodles" - but won't let me try to make it for him!! I guess no one can make it like mom?
  • OomarianneoO
    Options
    See? I knew someone would come up with something. smiling5.gif

I didn't have a recipe at all...until now. Thanks guys for the recipe and the alternatives. I will have to try this tomorrow night. Funny thing is, my daughter said she had some at school for lunch and said it was the best thing ever. 2010.gif I don't remember cafeteria food ever tasting good, let alone non-rubbery. I think she's nuts. I mean chicken and spaghetti? It just doesn't sound right to me. 352nmsp.gif
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    My Mom used to make that a lot!! It's like a creamy chicken pasta dish. I see someone posted a recipe. I remember that it was noodles, chicken, and I know she used cream of chicken soup and a can of condensed cheese soup (Campbells), a little sour cream, and topped w/ more shredded cheese. No wonder I was an overweight kid!! :blushing: I could have eaten the whole batch!! :laugh:

Jess
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I had no idea what this was...I had visions of putting chicken through a grinder and making it look like strands of spaghetti or something else equally ridiculous...so glad someone posted a recipe so I can put my crazy visions aside lol. :tongue:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Heres what I was gonna make for my pre race dinner but my dad wants me to really carbo load. I may do this for lunch though a serving for one calorioc counts I have no freaking idea cause I havent even tried the recipe I just thought of the ingredients and idea earlier this week.
    2 oz whole wheat pasta I love penne or fettucini
    3 oz chicken breast
    3 tbsp EVOO(extra virgin olive oil)
    2-3 cloves garlic I am a fanatic of the stuff so I am gonna go nuts with it
    1/2 can of artichoke hearts
    1/2 cup steamed broccoli
    splash of lemon juic for bite
    fresh ground black pepper
    real parm grated on top
    cook pasta according to box
    Grill chicken and cut into strips mix all ingredients toget her gives you protien slow carbs and fiber!!!
    Now as for how it tastesa I have no idea but it sounds yummo
  • alisha123
    Options
    Never heard of this, but sounds good. I'll also be trying it!
  • PurdyMommy
    PurdyMommy Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I JUST SLOW COOK SPAGETTI ON THE STOVE AND THEN ADD A HEALTHIER CHOICE OF PASTA AND SAUCE AND THEN I ADD ONIONS AND BROCCLII. cHICKEN AND BROCCLI SPAGETTI IS GREAT! TRY IT!
  • butterjoy
    butterjoy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    WHENEVER I HEAR THE WORD SPAGHETTI - I THINK OF THE RED SPAGHETTI SAUCE. I WOULD JUST TAKE A JAR OF RAGU (ANY BRAND) SPAGHETTI SAUCE - ADD CHOPPED ONIONS AND GREEN PEPPERS. HEAT IT UP AND THEN INSTEAD OF PUTTING HAMBURGER IN IT, PUT CHOPPED COOKED CHICKEN IN THE SAUCE. HEAT THAT THEN POUR OVER THE COOKED SPAGHETTI NOODLES. SOUNDS DUMB BUT, THAT IS THE WAY I SEE IT. :ohwell:

JOY:flowerforyou:
  • rtamayo
    rtamayo Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting this recipe, i have been wanting a good one for chicken spaghetti for a long time, love it!
  • AbbyIsWangsterful
    AbbyIsWangsterful Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    See? I knew someone would come up with something. smiling5.gif

I didn't have a recipe at all...until now. Thanks guys for the recipe and the alternatives. I will have to try this tomorrow night. Funny thing is, my daughter said she had some at school for lunch and said it was the best thing ever. 2010.gif I don't remember cafeteria food ever tasting good, let alone non-rubbery. I think she's nuts. I mean chicken and spaghetti? It just doesn't sound right to me. 352nmsp.gif

Lol, No kidding! It also, somehow sounds good...
    I think I've eaten scalloped potatoes with chicken in it. It was actually pretty awesome :noway:. Now, I believe chicken does wonders :P
  • Tammey
    Options
    A healthier alternative to having the pasta (be it whole wheat or regular). I always have spaghetti squash!!!
    You can eat a full plate, be full and not even come close to the calories or carbs you would have had you eaten regular pasta noodles!!!
    It's very simple to make, cut the squash length wise, sccop out the seeds, place open side down in a microwave safe plate or oval glass dish, add about 1/4 inch of water and microwave for about 10 minutes...remove from morcowave, holding above the water to allow it to drain.......I use tongs to hold the top, and grab a fork and scrape the inside of the squash over your plate or a bowl.....the squash will look like long pasta noodles, and to me, I can't takes the difference...I love it!!

Enjoy