Cardio or Weights first

Options
I've been doing 15 minutes of jogging before I start my circuit training just to warm up but I read something different yesterday that said I should do the weights first because you run out of steam if you don't. I don't know that just 15 minutes is enough to matter but what do you guys think?

Replies

• heatherhart
    heatherhart Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    When I had a personal trainer we always did a 15 min warm up lifted weight then a 15 cool down. So I think what your doing is fine.
  • maurita17
    maurita17 Posts: 11
    Options
    I think a 15 min jog/run warm up is really good, you get the blood flowing and wake up your muscles. If you just go straight into lifting weights you could end up pulling something . you need the warm up or a good stretch before you do a work out.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    A 15 minute warm up is fine before strength training. I wouldn't do any more than that, but I can't see a short run hurting your workout much.
  • tweety_montana
    tweety_montana Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Best warm up is get a skipping rope and start off gentle for 1 minute than add bit more speed for another minute and last minute extra fast before you do a bit of running adding arm stretches and sprints in between.

Our evil trainer sometime adding star jumps in between and kneeling down for one seconds during the jog too!!!!

Hope this helps.

x
  • skitchlu
    skitchlu Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Agreed - you don't want to use too much glycogen prior to starting your circuit/strength/resistance training. 10 to 15 minutes of cardio as a warm up is fine, but you probably don't want to exceed that. I usually do 10 minutes with my trainer. Best to focus on cardio on the days you're not doing circuit/strength/resistance training.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I feel like I need something because I get straight out of bed and workout.