arm flab!

Options
This is for all you strong people and weight lifters out there!! LOL i need HELP! i'm a big girl by nature, and i'm trying to lose/tone at the same time.... and i REALLY wanna get rid of my back arm flab! i even dont mind if i dont lose CRAZY weight, i just want to slim down a bit and be able to wave at people without causing a hurricane and wear sleeveless shirts without my hoodie over it! PLEASE OH PLEASE give me some ideas of stuff i can do at HOME with 5lb weights (cuz thats all i have!) thanks!

Replies

• peachletcream
    Options
    you know the best exercise you can do for your arms atm, is your own body weight try, if you have an iphone, you could get the ap called BOOTCAMP its very good but it you dont, try plank in and outs, bros punches, jump rope, dips, push ups, tricep kick backs, upright rowing, front raises, tricep curls, cross uppercut punches, so on and so forth you could google those if you dont know what they are :D there not to hard but you should do them in sets.. :D
  • peachletcream
    Options
    you know the best exercise you can do for your arms atm, is your own body weight try, if you have an iphone, you could get the ap called BOOTCAMP its very good but it you dont, try plank in and outs, bros punches, jump rope, dips, push ups, tricep kick backs, upright rowing, front raises, tricep curls, cross uppercut punches, so on and so forth you could google those if you dont know what they are :D there not to hard but you should do them in sets.. :D

I ment cross punches :}
  • drblythe
    drblythe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing (or trying to) I use Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones DVD has a good arm flab section, and then when i don't feel like doing the whole dvd I just do the triceps section as thats the main area i need to work.

But they say card to loose weight everywhere is also necessary, as it's hard to loose weight in just one place
  • tubby_girl
    Options
    These are some arm toning exercises I learned from an Army classmate - the apple pickers, changing the lightbulbs and the killers.
    For the apple pickers you pretend you are holding an apple by your chest, then you extend your arms out to put the 'apples' in a basket (repeat until you get sore and then do 5 more).
    The lightbulbs you place your arms straight over your head and twist them like you are changing a lightbulb (repeat until you get sore and then do 5 more).
    For the killers you start with your arms straight out from your sides, lift them over your head until they almost touch and then lower them (repeat until you get sore and then do 5 more).
    Repeat the whole cycle 3 times twice a day.
  • starboardzor
    Options
    Go buy a weight lifting book for women from the bookstore! One with lots of pictures that show you exactly how to do the moves. All the tools you need are weights and maybe a chair.

It's going to take weight loss, as well, to see results. But I know even after I lost 20 lbs I still couldn't shake the arm flab until I started using weights. Now for once in my life I actually love my arms.

And 5lbs will do wonders. I use 5 and 9 lb weights for my workouts and I've gotten great results.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Excercises that work your triceps will help to get rid of that, I'm working on that as well. I hate tricep dips but they really work and they use your body weight against you. Very effective :)
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    yep you are going to need to use your own body weight 5lbs weights will do nothing you need to build muscle (no you will not bulk up normal women do not bulk unless you have 5 plus hour a day to dedicate to working out) plunks, push ups, drive boomers, others I'm sure
  • marlakayallen
    marlakayallen Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    What the girl said about the BOOTCAMP app is all good but it looks like a lot of strenuous exercise. I am a beginner and it looks hard after looking over it but maybe you can pick from several exercises to do. I, myself, go to Curves and it is also a circuit trainer that works at cardio and toning all muscles. I have lost 22 lbs so far and lost 33 inches all throughout my body. I have lost 3 inches in my arms. So this type of circuit training works on losing inches as well as weight. I love that, too. I do look forward each month to have Curves measure me. It is a great program.
  • Mrsbonno
    Mrsbonno Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i had thought about going to curves. im not sure how much it is to join tho.
  • jteammom
    jteammom Posts: 173
    Options
    I just tried tubby_girl's army buddy's exercises. OMG- - - - I can barely move my arms enough to type this. I am definitely going to give this a go!
  • Mrsbonno
    Options
    I just tried tubby_girl's army buddy's exercises. OMG- - - - I can barely move my arms enough to type this. I am definitely going to give this a go!

do you do those with weights??? or no? and how many times did you do???
  • peachletcream
    Options
    What the girl said about the BOOTCAMP app is all good but it looks like a lot of strenuous exercise. I am a beginner and it looks hard after looking over it but maybe you can pick from several exercises to do. I, myself, go to Curves and it is also a circuit trainer that works at cardio and toning all muscles. I have lost 22 lbs so far and lost 33 inches all throughout my body. I have lost 3 inches in my arms. So this type of circuit training works on losing inches as well as weight. I love that, too. I do look forward each month to have Curves measure me. It is a great program.

Thats why you do a set rest tjen do more do it at your own pace jog on the spot if you cant do one exercise :) keeping trying to do it or you wont get better i was a beginner too!!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i lost so much flab and i got definition ... i did 30 day shred level 2 for 30 days with 3lb weights...
    you dont need to lift heavy to get rid of it...
  • tubby_girl
    Options
    No weights are needed, as it is all arm movements - which I think is the best part!
  • flyinmomof3
    flyinmomof3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    All those arm exercises are the key! But remember, with general weightloss you will have less to wiggle! So it's important to loose weight and strengthen. It takes time and effort, but I know your strong! Also, those push ups that we've committed too will help!
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Um, do you by chance have a toddler? LOL They make a great weightlifting tool. Unless they are squirmy and start to giggle like mine do.
  • Mrsbonno
    Options
    Um, do you by chance have a toddler? LOL They make a great weightlifting tool. Unless they are squirmy and start to giggle like mine do.

i have a three year old... lol
  • jteammom
    jteammom Posts: 173
    Options

do you do those with weights??? or no? and how many times did you do???

I did not use weights. I don't know that they would have helped. When I did them this morning I did around 50. I did them again this afternoon and was not able to do as many. I can definitely tell these are muscles I have not been using on a daily basis!
  • iamthepreston
    iamthepreston Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    This is for all you strong people and weight lifters out there!! LOL i need HELP! i'm a big girl by nature, and i'm trying to lose/tone at the same time.... and i REALLY wanna get rid of my back arm flab! i even dont mind if i dont lose CRAZY weight, i just want to slim down a bit and be able to wave at people without causing a hurricane and wear sleeveless shirts without my hoodie over it! PLEASE OH PLEASE give me some ideas of stuff i can do at HOME with 5lb weights (cuz thats all i have!) thanks!

You can not tone one part of the body. You have to lose weight all over. You can do arm exercises all day long and they will only get bigger bc it will be muscle + fat.

I am only chiming in bc I think some of the responses you received were not accurate. Go online and look for a good at home workout routine, add in some cardio and a clean diet.

Give it time persistence will pay off.
  • Mrsbonno
    Options
    I really appreciate all the advice.. hopefully something will work! :) i cant wait to be able to wear tank tops in summer!