Need fast food suggestions

Options
I spend a few days a week on the road for my job, and fast food is my lunch on these days. Can anyone suggest which places have a better menu to work with, and if anyone has suggestions on specific items from those menus I would appreciate it.

Replies

• kamechaf
    kamechaf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I love subway! Especially the Subway Club!
  • Lexie71
    Lexie71 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    There is a book called "eat this not that" that has a lot of good suggestions for fast food. It does the calorie counting for you. Some of the answers are more common sense but some of them may surprise you.
    I think Wendy's chili is always a good choice. Grilled chicken sandwiches are usually a lower fat/calorie option anywhere. Taco bell chicken fresco tacos aren't bad.
    Most fast food places have nutritional information on their web sites. You could go to a few of your favorites and look them up and keep a list with you.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    definitely subway!! Skip the mayo, oil, southwest sauce. Use vinegar, sp mustard, and honey mustard. These are very low in calories. Taco bell fresco. The crunchy fresco taco is the lowest in calories. I sometimes order the tender grill from burger king with no mayo, the sandwich is under 400 cal, and is good for a lunch. If you can eat less, a happy meal from mcdonalds is around 400 calories. Wendy's is good for having smaller portions available, side salad, 5pc chicken nuggets. I hope this helps. I used to be in school and work full time so I know what it's like to have to grab and go. Good luck!!
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I love the club sandwich from subway too. It has a LOT of sodium though. Taco bell has a "fresco" menu that is low cal and has relatively low sodium. The fresco crunchy beef taco has 150 calories. You can go to their web site and it has the nutrition info on there. Also, MFP has it in the database!
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    Also, a hamburger from a fast food place is usualy lower in calories than the chicken sandwiches, even grilled!!
  • lemony57
    lemony57 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    All good ideas posted here, another might be to find a nearby grocery store and get a soup and salad to go.
    They usually have some pre made healthy choices. Or buy a sandwich to go with the soup and only eat half, save the rest for supper. Best wishes!
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Chik-Fil-A has some really healthy options. Obviously the fried chicken isn't smart, but the grilled chicken on the whole wheat bun is great at only 300 cals. Here's the healthy options on their site: http://www.chick-fil-a.com/Food/Healthful-Lifestyle

Moe's is also great if you know of it. They offer half sized whole wheat burritos and they take really good care in choosing the freshest ingredients. Same goes for Chipotle, they try to buy local if they can. Just get the soft tacos instead of their monster burritos.

I would also HIGHLY getting the book Eat This Not That. It pretty much compares the best and worst options for fast food and grocery foods. It is great because it will show you the worst options along side a comparable better option so you can find a similar healthy choice.
  • mycrazyturtles
    Options
    Pack your lunch. Slim fast. Stay away from fast food. How about Subway.
  • penny39
    penny39 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I love the veggie delight on flat bread from Subway! I have provolone, lettuce, tomato, cucumbers, onions, green pepper, black olives and salt/pepper, oil and vinegar on mine!
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I love the veggie delight on flat bread from Subway! I have provolone, lettuce, tomato, cucumbers, onions, green pepper, black olives and salt/pepper, oil and vinegar on mine!

Although Subway has some good options the flatbreads are kind of fatty, just FYI.
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    When I don't bring lunch I usually get the Southwest salad with grilled chicken and southwest dressing at McDonalds. Its only like 400 cals.
  • scoops13
    scoops13 Posts: 31
    Options
    Speaking of McDonalds you can get the grilled caesar salad with the low fat Italian dressing. The salad (not including crutons) is only 220 calories and then the dressing is another 60. It is a pretty decent sized salad and tastes pretty good too!
  • Loveebbs
    Loveebbs Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I would go with Subway. Usually at work when I forget to bring my lunch, I go there and get a sandwich (wheat bread, no mayo, turkey and a lot of veggies).