My HRM might just have saved my life

Options
I just got a polar FT7 2 weeks ago and have been using it everytime i workout. My maximum heart rate is about 165-170. Well last night, I was was doing Jillian`s 30 day shred level 2 (nothing unusual, not even one of her hardest videos) my watch would not stop beeping. My heart rate went up from 140 to 165 to 212 in a matter of seconds.

I just found it annoying at first, but I kept looking at my HRM and it would not go down. I was not feeling exhausted or anything I even I tried to go on with my workout. I only stopped because of the constant beeping. I thought it was a joke because my heart rate has never gone up so high before... Well I would not really know since I haven`t owned my HRM for that long.

Anyways, I am just happy I bought a HRM with a chest strap because with the ones without strap I would have completely missed the signals. I was not feeling tired but I felt my heart beating really fast. It took about 5 minutes for my heart to go back to normal.

At my next check-up I willl have my doctor investigate more for sure. I was supposed to start P90X in a few days, but I think I will take it easy for a few days. I can say for sure that the $88 for the Polar FT7 was money really well spent!

Replies

• cazzincali
    cazzincali Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Did you try taking your HR manually to see if your monitor was correct?
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Is the model you have waterproof?
  • zandhmom75
    zandhmom75 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Wow, scary! Did you double check by feeling your pulse? If your HRM was accurate, and your pulse went to 212, I would see your doctor a lot sooner than your next check-up. That's not normal, and you would probably rest easier if you had it checked out.
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Did you try taking your HR manually to see if your monitor was correct?

No I did not, because I was just kind if panicking at that point, I was feeling a pressure around the chest, I just thought it was the chest trap, but it wasn`t. That`s when I started noticing that my heart was beating the fastest ever,
  • soccermum75
    Options
    Is the model you have waterproof?

yes both the watch and chest strap are waterproof up to 30m.
  • Pammie1000
    Pammie1000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Your heart rate was that high and you felt pressure around your chest!!!! Girl ......GET YOURSELF TO THE DOCTOR!
  • LP4me
    LP4me Posts: 27
    Options
    CALL YOUR DOCTOR!

It really isn't worth waiting!!

There are nurse advice lines you can call (or an ER) and they will help you make an educated decision on whether this is an emergency situation or not. Anytime it has to do with your heart DON'T WAIT! Many women have heart problems that are never diagnosed because they put it off and think it can't happen to them. many women have "silent" heart attacks.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Best to you~~I hope it's nothing. :):flowerforyou:
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Get this checked out pronto!
    The heart rate on it's own needs to be checked, but with the tightness as well...............
  • soccermum75
    Options
    DON'T WAIT! Many women have heart problems that are never diagnosed because they put it off and think it can't happen to them. many women have "silent" heart attacks.

I will call my doctor this morning. I am not feeling too great. My left arm is sore. It`s not usually a symptom of a heart attack in women but I better get it checked out. Thanks everyone.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Polar FT& on sale at Running Free now from $159 to $139 - still not your $88. Booo. My HRM is a Mio, it was fun but since my company pays for fitness items I'd rather get one with a chest strap so I don't have to press those silly buttons anymore. If anyone sees it on sale either online or in stores in Canada (or ships to Canada). Please message me!
  • soccermum75
    Options
    Polar FT& on sale at Running Free now from $159 to $139 - still not your $88. Booo. My HRM is a Mio, it was fun but since my company pays for fitness items I'd rather get one with a chest strap so I don't have to press those silly buttons anymore. If anyone sees it on sale either online or in stores in Canada (or ships to Canada). Please message me!

I am actually from Canada but I ordered it from Amazon when I was on vacation in the USA and had it sent to my hotel.
  • soccermum75
    Options
    ***UPDATE***
    I just went to the hospital for and ECG and everything was fine. (It just means I wasn`t having a heart attack at the moment they were doing the test). I still have a few test to do but i`m keeping my fingers crossed that everything will be fine.

At least since I joined MFP i am already heading in the right direction. i went from obese to overweight. This scare has only heightened my determination to get to a healthy BMI as fast as possible. I don`t ever want again to have thoughts that I will leave my children orphans because I was too lazy to take care of myself.
  • Pammie1000
    Pammie1000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    So glad you had it checked out!!! I'm sending you a friend request so I can keep up with you
  • soccermum75
    Options
    Thank you pammie1000. I really appreciate it.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    soccermum-I had something very similar happen to me just a few months ago. I was at the gym, doing my normal workout. My heart rate went to 215 and stayed there for about 5 minutes, despite my attempts to slowly bring it down. My heart was beating very fast and I felt a little light headed.
    Long story short, my doctor sent me for an echocardiogram, a stress test, and had me wear an "event recorder" for several weeks. I was diagnosed with a type of trachycardia and now take a medication to keep it from happening again. I feel great now and I am so glad I was wearing a heart rate monitor. Without, I would not have known how high my heart rate was or discovered this condition.
    Be sure and follow up with those tests and I wish you the best of luck! Take care!:flowerforyou:
  • soccermum75
    Options
    soccermum-I had something very similar happen to me just a few months ago. I was at the gym, doing my normal workout. My heart rate went to 215 and stayed there for about 5 minutes, despite my attempts to slowly bring it down. My heart was beating very fast and I felt a little light headed.
    Long story short, my doctor sent me for an echocardiogram, a stress test, and had me wear an "event recorder" for several weeks. I was diagnosed with a type of trachycardia and now take a medication to keep it from happening again. I feel great now and I am so glad I was wearing a heart rate monitor. Without, I would not have known how high my heart rate was or discovered this condition.
    Be sure and follow up with those tests and I wish you the best of luck! Take care!:flowerforyou:

This is what i am suspecting. But i will just have to wait for the other tests to find out.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You need to go in ASAP and have the checked out. Call your medical provider and explain what happened and get in. This is not normal and needs to looked at right away.
  • zandhmom75
    zandhmom75 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you went in to get seen! They'll get you all figured out, and you'll be on your way! :smile:
  • deannarey13
    deannarey13 Posts: 452
    Options
    I have the same HRM. I have to say that this has happened to me a couple of times where it got stuck for a short period of time at the exact same number - 212. Then it came down immediately to the correct number. I have a feeling this may have been a false alarm for you as well.
  • LP4me
    LP4me Posts: 27
    Options
    I have the same HRM. I have to say that this has happened to me a couple of times where it got stuck for a short period of time at the exact same number - 212. Then it came down immediately to the correct number. I have a feeling this may have been a false alarm for you as well.

Things like this should always be checked out --don't just ignore them. Electronics gadgets are just tools. We still need to use common sense. Then add to the fact the numbness in her limbs--not good. Soccermum75, I am so glad you went and got this checked out! WTG!