Recipe suggestion please!!

Options
Rachaely
Rachaely Posts: 113
I have a coworker at my office (married, in his 50’s) who is going to have knee replacement surgery. Since he’s going to be out for 8-10 weeks, a few people in the office were going to make him some dishes to bring home, so he or his wife didn’t have to worry about cooking (at least at the very beginning!). Last time an instance like this happened, someone made stuffed shells.

At first I was thinking soup – but that’s not special, you can easily just buy a can of soup (not matter how good mine is!).
Likewise for chili – also very delicious, but not special and you can buy a can of chili!

Does anyone have any suggestions for something like this? Something easily transported to work, hopefully not too involved, and can last! I was thinking maybe a casserole but I just don’t know!

Appreciate your help : )

Replies

• Capucine72
    Options
    Lasagna...
  • VKanzler
    VKanzler Posts: 14
    Options
    If he likes Shepherd's Pie, that would be a good one!!
  • avninjalette123
    avninjalette123 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Baked macaroni and cheese! It's really yummy and easy to transport. Although it might not last really long because it's so good. lol
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a good recipe. My husband and son love it.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-Noodle-Casserole/Detail.aspx
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I was also going to say lasagna. What about chicken pot pie? With either a crust or mashed potato topping. Cookies, banana bread, or any kind of goodies are nice - especially for when they'll have visitors.
  • urbanruralmomma
    Options
    Morning Glory muffins - if others are making dinner, maybe you can provide some desert/snacks. These are wonderful!
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Stuffed Green Peppers or cabbage rolls.... they freeze well, and people love em!
  • crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    you could make up a few lunch size trays of chicken enchiladas? bet they would love that and they freeze well.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    How about stuffed peppers? Red, green or yellow? They aren't REALLY special but something different.
    Lasagne? A quick one with or without meat? Sub in eggplant for the meat?
    Chicken and dumplings? Yes, you can buy a can or frozen but homemade is always better.
    Salmon patties--make them, cook them and then freeze. Add a nice bag of rolls with it.
    Swedish Meatballs? They can just make some rice, or even boil in the bag rice.
    Home made clam chowder? Manhattan or New England--again, home made is better than the can.

I know you mentioned chili but when someone makes it--it tastes better and the thought of having been made special for you speaks volumes. They can always run to the store if they have a taste for something else. You are all great coworkers!

Edit: Everybody beat me to it on some of the suggestions! Oops...
  • Rachaely
    Options
    Wow thank you everyone!!! Lots to consider. My other coworkers are bringing dessert so I thought to do the main meal :)

Can anyone point me to an easy lasagna recipe? I've sadly never made it before!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    How about a pastry cased pie, they can then be frozen until needed. If everyone else is doing fresh food the fridge is gonna be pretty full unless you're doing it on a staggered delivery
  • Rachaely
    Options
    How about a pastry cased pie, they can then be frozen until needed. If everyone else is doing fresh food the fridge is gonna be pretty full unless you're doing it on a staggered delivery

It's only two of us bringing food :) It's a pretty small office! And she is bringing cupcakes. I was going to bring an entree and maybe a side (chili and cornbread was the original thought).
  • mini_girl7
    mini_girl7 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you feel comfortable making chili and cornbread, go for it! I would be happy if someone brought me that for dinner -- it is something I rarely make. When I have had babies, people from church always bring in dinners, and I am truly grateful for whatever they bring! Sometimes, they have just ordered pizza for us! :smile:

Here is a simple recipe for Lasagna -- it is not super fancy or authentic with tons of spices etc, but my family likes and we have been eating it for years. It is not hard to put together, either. BTW I got this recipe from someone when they brought it to my house for dinner when I was sick!

1 pound lean ground beef
    12 lasagna noodles
    1 jar spaghetti sauce, your choice
    8 ounce package grated mozzarella cheese
    16 ounce low-fat cottage cheese
    2 eggs

Put large pot of water on to boil for noodles -- while waiting for the water to boil, begin browning ground beef in skillet. Drain any excess fat and add spaghetti sauce and any spices you prefer -- garlic, parsley, etc. Let simmer on low.

Combine cottage cheese and 2 eggs in bowl.

Noodles should be done by now -- drain in strainer and rinse with cold water because they will be hot and burn when you try and pick them up!

Spray 9 x 13 pan -- add 1/2 the meat sauce in the bottom. Place 6 noodles over sauce. I overlap 5 noodles long ways and take the 6th noodle and put it at the end because none of the noodles reach the end of my pan, so it covers that bare spot (I fold it to fit.)

Take 1/2 the cottage cheese mixture and spread that on top of the noodles. Then add 1/2 the package of mozzarella.

Repeat this process again, beginning with the sauce.

Keep in mind the the layers will be thin, as in the sauce and cottage cheese -- it will seem like you need more, but it is really fine.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40 - 45 minutes.

Serve with garlic bread and green salad and fresh strawberries -- and , voila, you have dinner! Good luck :wink:

One last thought -- you might want to try making in this in two aluminum 8 x 8 pans ( the throw away ones from the store) -- that way you can make a dinner for yourself and one for the man's family -- this recipe feeds my family of 7 with a small amount of leftovers -- I was assuming that they are a family of two, and if that is true, this recipe would be way too much for them! If you do the 2 pan idea, just take scissors and cut the noodles in half after they are cooked and it should work out fine -- you may feel like you are a little thin on the sauce and cottage cheese, so you can either add a little more when you make it -- but if it were me, I wouldn't , I'd just let it be! And maybe put a little more in his pan and keep the one with a little less for yourself :happy:
  • lexis0911
    lexis0911 Posts: 50
    Options
    super easy Turkey/Stuffing casserole!! One of my family's favorites...

1 8oz box/can Stove Top stuffing, cooked to direction
    1# shaved deli turkey breast (you can also use shredded cooked chicken)
    1 can cream of chicken soup, mixed with a can of milk
    your shredded cheese of choice...i use colby jack and i love cheese so i usually use the whole 2 cup package!

prepare the stuffing and spread in a 9x13 sprayed pan
    layer the turkey or chicken over the stuffing
    mix the soup and a can of milk together and pour over the turkey/chicken
    add the shredded cheese on top

cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes at 350, uncovering for the last 15 mins...

soooooo yummy!!
  • Rachaely
    Options
    Here is a simple recipe for Lasagna -- it is not super fancy or authentic with tons of spices etc, but my family likes and we have been eating it for years. It is not hard to put together, either. BTW I got this recipe from someone when they brought it to my house for dinner when I was sick!

This is awesome! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!
  • Rachaely
    Options
    super easy Turkey/Stuffing casserole!! One of my family's favorites...

1 8oz box/can Stove Top stuffing, cooked to direction
    1# shaved deli turkey breast (you can also use shredded cooked chicken)
    1 can cream of chicken soup, mixed with a can of milk
    your shredded cheese of choice...i use colby jack and i love cheese so i usually use the whole 2 cup package!

prepare the stuffing and spread in a 9x13 sprayed pan
    layer the turkey or chicken over the stuffing
    mix the soup and a can of milk together and pour over the turkey/chicken
    add the shredded cheese on top

cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes at 350, uncovering for the last 15 mins...

soooooo yummy!!

Hilarious...I made this two weeks ago! I added fresh spinach and tomatoes :)
  • Angila
    Angila Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Go to kraft foods website or the food network website, Paula Deen has some great and easy recipes on the the food network website.
  • Rachaely
    Options
    Go to kraft foods website or the food network website, Paula Deen has some great and easy recipes on the the food network website.

I LOVE the Kraft Foods site, it's one of my favorites! For once I couldn't find anything that I liked though.

If you like Paula Deen you should check this out: http://www.cookinlean.com/
  • AQHAShowgirl
    AQHAShowgirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you go to the Kraft Canada web-site and search Layered Fiesta Casserole, it's one of my all time favorites, freezes well, and makes great lunches too.
  • avninjalette123
    avninjalette123 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I totally forgot about Barbie cups! They are easy to make and yummy.

Get a package of Pillsbury biscuits..the kind you have to use a spoon to pop open.
    Pre heat the oven to 375.
    Cook ground beef, or turkey.
    Add some chopped onions.
    Once the meat is cooked add some bbq sauce.

Flatten out the biscuits and place them in a cupcake pan.
    Scoop the meat into the biscuits.
    Place in oven until biscuits are golden brown.
    You can add cheese to the top as well.