Weight Loss Standstill :( Muscle?

Options
I've been eating the same (around 1200/1300 cals a day) and been doing the same exercise (40+ mins walking and the Wii fit everyday) but my weight seems to have stopped these past two weeks.
Before, I could easily lose a pound a week but it's difficult now.
Do you think I could be building muscle, hence the reason my weight loss has stopped? My calf muscles are rock hard due to the walking I do, before it was just fat, plus my thighs seem a bit tighter too.

I'm not at my goal yet so I want to keep losing weight (another 6/7lbs maybe).
You guys know more than me...help!!

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I dont think building muscles, but if you are working your muscles may be retaining water. Also make sure you arent netting fewer than 1200 cals after exercise, you might just may need to eat more.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    maybe try to change your exercise too, your body gets used to the same stuff
  • PhoenixFire975
    Options
    you are most likely not eating enough cals. I only exercise about 30 min a day and need like 1700-1800 cals for my daily goal. try finding a daily cal intake calc (google) to find your recommended daily amount.
  • rkrobke
    rkrobke Posts: 15
    Options
    I ran into the same problem. My last 3 weeks I haven't moved weight wise, but my measurements are decreasing. HAve you thought about adding strength workouts?
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Your body could be getting used to your routine. You might have to switch it up or something. And no you're not building muscle. Diet and cardio cause muscle mass loss, not gain (I think that's why our muscles get smaller doing cardio). You need heavy weight lifting for that.

You might need to recalculate your goals. If you're set at a pound per week try dropping it to .5 pound per week. That will give you some more calories and hopefully help you get off your plateau. (Yes this sounds weird but you really do have to eat to lose).

You might want to start some heavy weight lifting. Building up muscle increases your metabolism so you burn more fat during rest or normal daily activity.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    As you get closer to goal, it will go MUCH slower. If you haven't already, you need to adjust your loss per week goal to 1/2 lb per week. The less fat you have to lose, the lower the deficit your body can withstand. Your body prefers to have a cushion, so losing that last 5 -10 lbs is difficult - you're fighting your body's natural inclination.

Also, don't focus too much on the scale. What you're really trying to do now is build muscle and tone. So use measurements as well. Patience! :flowerforyou:
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    maybe try to change your exercise too, your body gets used to the same stuff

I agree with the above and I also think you should re-calculate your calorie goals and not eat less than 10-20%below your resting metabolic rate. If it turns out that you're eating more, this will jump start your metabolism.
  • kgillikin
    kgillikin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    She may be gaining muscle. Do you know her? What I say is measure yourself. If your arms and legs are bigger but your waist , hips are smaller than its muscle. I had to same problem and a personal trainer told me it was muscle since my pants size was decreasing.
  • ourhearts4home
    Options
    You need to shake things up. Change your exercise, do something different. And change your calories. You might take a day to do less and the next day do more and then go back to your 1200. Simple changes will help. Also, be sure you are getting enough water to flush your system. And keep in mind that the closer you get to your goal, the harder it is to lose. I have no idea how close you are to your goal, but just know that can be part of it. So, if it were me, I'd up my exercise to a new level (grab a Jillian DVD and see what 20 minutes with her does) and play with calories for 2 days.
  • ourhearts4home
    Options
    And I totally agree on measuring... I don't put a lot of stock into weight, I prefer measuring once per week.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    She may be gaining muscle. Do you know her?

Most of us are just laypeople, and people come here for general advice.

With what she told us, and what we know it takes to gain muscle...the odds of her gaining muscle are so small I would dismiss it as a possibility.
  • SugarHighAbbie
    Options
    Thanks for all the quick responses!
    I'll try doing some different exercises then,see if that helps. Would jogging instead of walking make a difference, or do I need to focus on different areas of my body? I can't afford the gym,so exercise needs to be free, or at home.

And I'll also reduce my weight loss each week and up my calorie intake (although the thought of eating more makes me panic into thinking I'll get fat again!). Will feel weird after training myself to eat less calories and fat...maybe I can go back to buying some bread!

Thanks for all the help :)
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    She may be gaining muscle. Do you know her? What I say is measure yourself. If your arms and legs are bigger but your waist , hips are smaller than its muscle. I had to same problem and a personal trainer told me it was muscle since my pants size was decreasing.

I don't know her, but I know science. To build muscle you need a calorie surplus. Running a constant deficit means your not building muscle. You can maintain more of it if you do strength training 2-3 times a week, but you won't gain. If your PT told you that, he was being nice, but not accurate.
  • Randonneur
    Randonneur Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    firstly are you counting absolutely everything, no little snacks even just mouthfuls, or sweets.
    ok....

What I suggest is you give your body a shock, i. e. you have a day full on exercise whilst not changing diet.
    So, go for a run, and go to the gym, do a gym class.

Follow this by a normal day, then do it again the next day.

The thing about the muscle burn rather than fat burn is to make sure you satisfy the hunger pangs in the day just with small amounts.

Also some things get exaggered , if you have been eating a bowl of museli but you measure it by eye, the amount may have increased.

Also check on the alcohol amounts.
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the quick responses!
    I'll try doing some different exercises then,see if that helps. Would jogging instead of walking make a difference, or do I need to focus on different areas of my body? I can't afford the gym,so exercise needs to be free, or at home.

And I'll also reduce my weight loss each week and up my calorie intake (although the thought of eating more makes me panic into thinking I'll get fat again!). Will feel weird after training myself to eat less calories and fat...maybe I can go back to buying some bread!

Thanks for all the help :)

If you're going to add bread back to your diet, I highly recommend whole grain bread and bagels (and brown rice and potatoes and yams too). Starches with more fiber are a staple of every good fat loss diet (in my opinion)