Off subject...but need advice!

Options
Hey guys I wanted to ask a question. What is a really good breakfast that gives you good brain power and energy?

My husband is very smart. He is nicknamed the human calculator because he can do math so quickly. I mean I can't even explain how intelligent he is! Its sad but when he was eighteen years old he was in college and doing really well. Unfortuantly his parents got divorced and with seperate incomes they could not pay for his college tuition. He was unable to get aid because his parent's income still counted against him because he was not married or had any children. Ever since he has worked minium wage jobs and has always dreamed of getting a good job or going back to college. When we married we decided that since I had the most credit hours that I would go back to school and when I was done he would go. Well I'm about done and we were preparing to enroll him in January. However my brother got a job in a local company that pays very well for its entry level positions. My husband applied and has an interview Tuesday.

I'm so nervous for him! I know he can handle it because he is so outgoing and friendly. I have been places with him and he carry on a conversation with a person for twenty minutes. After walking away I will ask him who that was and shockingly he will say I don't know. He talks to everyone as if he knows them for years! He is just like that.

The thing is this interview is very early in the morning and he works evenings/nights. He usually doesn't get up until noon or one. He will get up but will not be working at his best, LOL.

So to make this long ramble short, what are some good things I could make for him for breakfast? Brain food? Something to make him alert and strong, and able to do very well at this interview? He also has to do testing so I want him at his best! Anyone know anything good?

Also, while I'm bugging everyone with questions does anyone know what is the best color to wear to an interview? We are going shopping Monday and I have no idea what helps in an interview.

He's done interviews before, but this one is very important. So any advice would be so greatly appreciated!!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• jnb0203
    jnb0203 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hey guys I wanted to ask a question. What is a really good breakfast that gives you good brain power and energy?

My husband is very smart. He is nicknamed the human calculator because he can do math so quickly. I mean I can't even explain how intelligent he is! Its sad but when he was eighteen years old he was in college and doing really well. Unfortuantly his parents got divorced and with seperate incomes they could not pay for his college tuition. He was unable to get aid because his parent's income still counted against him because he was not married or had any children. Ever since he has worked minium wage jobs and has always dreamed of getting a good job or going back to college. When we married we decided that since I had the most credit hours that I would go back to school and when I was done he would go. Well I'm about done and we were preparing to enroll him in January. However my brother got a job in a local company that pays very well for its entry level positions. My husband applied and has an interview Tuesday.

I'm so nervous for him! I know he can handle it because he is so outgoing and friendly. I have been places with him and he carry on a conversation with a person for twenty minutes. After walking away I will ask him who that was and shockingly he will say I don't know. He talks to everyone as if he knows them for years! He is just like that.

The thing is this interview is very early in the morning and he works evenings/nights. He usually doesn't get up until noon or one. He will get up but will not be working at his best, LOL.

So to make this long ramble short, what are some good things I could make for him for breakfast? Brain food? Something to make him alert and strong, and able to do very well at this interview? He also has to do testing so I want him at his best! Anyone know anything good?

Also, while I'm bugging everyone with questions does anyone know what is the best color to wear to an interview? We are going shopping Monday and I have no idea what helps in an interview.

He's done interviews before, but this one is very important. So any advice would be so greatly appreciated!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • gazellegirl
    gazellegirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    First of all, Congrats to you for being almost done with school, congrats to your Hubby, sounds like he will do fine. I think the excitement and energy will probably carry him alone.
    However, to answer you question, I would go with Protein, eggs, with Fruit and toast.

I am sure that he will do great, but if he doesn't get this job, maybe he was meant to go to school in January. Everything happens for a reason. I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Good Luck:flowerforyou:
  • jnb0203
    Options
    Oh thank you! He actually loves eggs so I will make him some!

This job is actually a really good job for people without a college degree. When I lost all hope they actually called to set up the interview.

I read somewhere that peaches give you energy, so I think I will include those!

Thank you for your kinds words I really appreciate them! :flowerforyou:
  • obliged
    obliged Posts: 465
    Options
    i suggest he also might like to try an energy drink if he really needs it... red bull, v, etc.
    i dont get to sleep until about 2 due to working and sometimes have to get up at 6-7 to go to uni
    after one of them i am alert

good luck!!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Statistically, blue is most peoples' favorite color. So maybe a nice blue dress shirt or tie with his suit?
    I agree with a breakfast of complex carbohydrates like oats, and protein like eggs.
  • JMAMA
    JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I agree on the eggs, plus i would throw in some whole wheat toast. Also, someone commented on what to wear as far as colors. It is a good idea to wear the company colors, if they have company colors that is-it gets to the employer/interviewer on a subconcious level...
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Statistically, blue is most peoples' favorite color. So maybe a nice blue dress shirt or tie with his suit?
    I agree with a breakfast of complex carbohydrates like oats, and protein like eggs.

I'm in total agreement. Be sure no to feed him to much though. And as far as the color blue...I always recommend wearing a dark navy blue to an interview. It's clean, simple and crisp and always looks good. Very sharp looking with a crisp white shirt.

Good luck to him on the interview!
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    I agree on the eggs, plus i would throw in some whole wheat toast. Also, someone commented on what to wear as far as colors. It is a good idea to wear the company colors, if they have company colors that is-it gets to the employer/interviewer on a subconcious level...

Agree with this smart chick 100%.

I am sending him and you good luck wishes too.
  • jnb0203
    Options
    Thanks everyone! We plan to buy a navy blue button up shirt and matching tie, and some slacks. But as I'm full of questions...what would be better black slacks or khakis??

I'm so glad that everyone has responded, its really helped to calm my nerves and fears!
  • JessicaT2007
    JessicaT2007 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I would go with slacks for an interview
  • luvchi3
    luvchi3 Posts: 167
    Options
    What type of job is it? Is he wearing a suit or just a shirt and tie? What do the employees wear on a regular basis to work, is it business casual, or business? I agree with blue being a good choice. Also i think i heard somewhere that bananas are good brain food. Best of luck, and everything happens for a reason so don't stress too much over it, just take things one step at a time.
  • jnb0203
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your responses!

My brother has been working the job for several months now and he told me when he left his interview he thought he had blown it. But he actually got offered the job!

The job is with CSX. It is for the position of freight conducter and I hope he gets it! My brother really likes it but works A LOT.

Hey I will try bananas, my husband loves bananas!
  • tresa1234
    tresa1234 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    A friend's son works for a rail line (not sure which one). We were just talking about this the other day! Apparently, in his interview the interviewers were kind of tricky ... like sometime before they dismissed for a break they said "be sure to push your chairs in." When they got back, anyone who had left their chairs out was sent home. They are looking for people who can listen and follow directions exactly because they are under such strict regulations. So he definitely needs to be alert and to listen to everything they say, and then be sure to follow any directions (especially those given in an off-hand manner) to the letter ... at least if his interview is like the one my friend's son had!

I wish him lots of success!
  • jnb0203
    Options
    Oh wow thank you! While my husband is smart, he kind of overlooks or doesn't pay attention things at times! So I will tell him that! I really appreciate you telling me that!!! :flowerforyou: :smile: :drinker:
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I live with a math PhD, and he has three sisters-all are highly educated and very intelligent in sceince/computers/math subjects. The bf's mother swears all of her children are highly intelligent, because she gave them "consume." It is a fish head soup.

Sounds disgusting? It is-unless drank very hot, with a lot of lemon, and drank very fast. Having said that...fish is brain food.

Now, can your husband call off from work the night before? (this is a special circumstance) And he should definately have breakfast.

The one and only interview I had early morning (8am) I did horribly, and it was a 2nd interview of a job I really, really wanted! :sad: I attribute this to not enough sleep the night before.

Good luck to your husband :flowerforyou: and congrats to you both or setting and achieving your goals!
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    For a good way to smart start hie day, banana with peanut butter, and a glass of milk! Really! As for what to wear, that does depend on the corporate culture, he should be able to call HR there and simply ask them! Again, really! They prolly will be impressed that he cares enough to call and ask. Good luck, and let us all know how it turns out!
  • jnb0203
    Options
    I will let you guys know! I just made his resume and I hope its good. The funny thing is I would love to work in Human Resource and am actually considering a Masters in it, lol.

Luckily his manager at work let him have tomorrow off so he could get a good nights rest!

I really appreciate everyone's answers and support! I think I would be like a chicken with its head cutoff if it wasn't for the support of you guys! Thank you!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    i suggest he also might like to try an energy drink if he really needs it... red bull, v, etc.
    i dont get to sleep until about 2 due to working and sometimes have to get up at 6-7 to go to uni
    after one of them i am alert

good luck!!!

If he doesn't drink a lot of caffeine normally, Red Bull might make him jittery. Too much caffeine still makes me jittery and I drink coffee every morning.

GOOD LUCK TO HUBBY!!! I hope he does well!
  • jnb0203
    Options
    Hey everyone thank you for the wonderful advice!

I'm in shock and finding it hard to believe, but today he got a letter offering him the job. I'm in disbelief, but I really appreciate everyone's advice. Without a breakfast and energy drink I don't know how he would have done especially considering he was there all day!

Thanks everyone for the support and advice! :flowerforyou:
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    YEA!!! :flowerforyou: