Losing weight when your broke.

Options
I am trying to lose weight but I have not been able to lose much weight and feeling discouraged today. I don't have the money to buy exercise videos or equipment. I really want to go to the gym but can't afford it.

Right now I do wii just dance, clean my house, and go for walks. What else can I do???

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You can run outside. There are lots of free exercise videos on youtube or there are free sites like bodyrock.tv.
  • tameka1220
    tameka1220 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    walks and running are excellent!!! keep that up, the weather is getting nice! so you can hit the pavement...
  • zadowd
    zadowd Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Have you tried your local Library? Sometimes they have DVD's you can check out or magazines. They might have some workout DVD's or magizines with different exercises.
  • monicanicoletta
    monicanicoletta Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    circuit training with things like "jumping rope, squats, lunges, jumping jacks, ab excercises" & yes runnig is the best for you!
  • madaughters
    Options
    If you have cable, there are also free exercise videos On Demand.
  • ossowska
    ossowska Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    me too, I found lots of exercise DVD's in my local library free to borrow
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Lots on Cable too if you have access to it or Dish/Direct.

If can't do the most healthly of foods, try cutting down your portion, less calories and stretches the dollar!

Be Strong, you can do it!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Check out hundredpushups.com they have different programs that are free and you don't need any extra equipment.
  • ShandiH
    ShandiH Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Check out Exercise TV (http://www.exercisetv.tv/). They have a lot of free videos online and exercise programs you can do.
  • amyindm
    amyindm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You can make a circuit with strength moves and do them without stopping to get some good cardio while also strength training... no equipment needed, especially at first when you're just getting started. There are gajillions of premade workouts for this, I find a lot on websites for fitness magazines. Good luck! Try interval training with your walks... go as fast as you possibly can (or run) for a short interval then recover. Rinse and repeat during the workout. That will give you a better overall burn and boost to your metabolism. There are so many things you can do - hang in there!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Have you tried your local Library? Sometimes they have DVD's you can check out or magazines. They might have some workout DVD's or magizines with different exercises.

This. Plus, cans of food make excellent hand weights (just make sure it's two cans of foods of similar density.)

Also, I'm finding my grocery bill shrinks as I do...
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Can you afford a frisbee? Play frisbee with your husband outside. Just make sure you incorporate running into it. Also, it doesn't need to be a frisbee, but any type of ball or outdoor activity that involves running and catching!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Honestly, what you're eating is going to have the most impact on how much you lose. The exercise portion is still good for your health, and it earns you more food (fuel) to eat, but you do not have to have a gym membership. Even just walking (if you do nothing else) will totally work!

You can do this!
  • Aaliyahgurl83
    Options
    I am in about the same boat as you. My oldest son is pretty picky when it comes to food so i have to make sometimes 2 things so the kids all like what i fix. And i have the Wii I dance with just dance 2 also. Otherwise a walk here and there is about all i can do. You can make up a list of heathy foods for you and go to the store and check them out. If you go out of your budget put something back and get it for next time. I found not eating out as much as saved me ALOT of money so far.
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    youtube has some good workout movies that are like 5 minutes long. You could a couple of those up? :)
  • marnieinMB
    marnieinMB Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    There is alot you can do!

First, go to some local gyms and say you want to try them for a week because you are shopping around. Depending where you live you could probably get a few weeks of workouts for free.

Next, go to library and check out dome fitness dvd (free).

Then, go to the bookstore and go thru books and magazines. Right down ideas of things to do at home.

Also, go on craigslist o find used excercise equipent for free.

My number one suggestion is to learn about tabata. It is a workout regime that involves doing an excercise as hard as you can for 20 seconds, resting for ten, and repeating. Trust me, it will rocket your heart rate and you will get a quick and cheap workout. Try doing jumping jacks, lunges, squats (hold onto a gallon of water while doing it to add weight), situps, mountain climbers. Believe me, it works.
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    There are a lot of sites that can show you how to work out from home using things such as chairs, brooms, jugs, ect. My couch, which used to be my favorite place to squat, is now my work out partner for sit-ups and dips.
    Check out Amazon.com for used, but good condition, dvd's. I found an ab dvd for $1 a few months ago...and it was still wrapped!
  • chrystal559
    chrystal559 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advise. I have been trying to get the walking in and working on jogging but it is hard right now at my weight. I have been eating healthy for like 2 weeks now. And i dont have cable or anything like that so i will check out the web sites and try to get to the library
  • rikkitikki
    rikkitikki Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Does this site have a swap program or anything? I'm sure there are people around who are looking to give up some DVDs or equipment. Also, my uncle (a personal trainer/bodybuilder, no joke :P) always told me that push ups/planks even against a wall, walking, and running were great ways to kickstart weight loss.
  • xoCaseyox
    xoCaseyox Posts: 19
    Options
    I joined the gym recently, I'm only a student so times are hard. I had a pass for a month it was £21.00. I know it seems a lot but thats all the gym sessions I want (bearing in mind its 4.00 a time for the gym) any swimming and aquafit classes and also zumba. It seemed a lot to me at the time but its been worth it as i go to the gym at least 3x a week. Maybe you could get a cheap pass at your local leisure centre. x