Why doesnt daily calorie intake change with weight loss?

Options
Correct me if I am wrong here... but...

A 250 lb person trying to lose 1 pound per week would be able to eat more calories then A 150 lb person trying to lose 1 pound per week.

(The 250 lb person has many more lbs to maintain, therefore needing more calories to maintain that weight??)

Or is my thinking way off?

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Reset your goals using your new weight as your start weight. Every ten pounds, you should get a prompt asking if you wish to do this.
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I think it does change, you just have to update.
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    It does change once you've logged a new weigh in :)
  • DJH3
    DJH3 Posts: 243
    Options
    True statement. System not updating for ya?
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    good question..i would like the answer as well..feel free to add me..best of luck :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    yes, and MFP does. Every 10 lbs you lose MFP will ask you to recalculate your goal. I beleive caloric intake decreases by 10 cals for every pound lost. That said if you are at 1200 cals MFP will not adjust lower as it is a floor MFP will not cross for a few reasons. All this means is that if you keep eating 1200 your weight loss will be slightly slower as you lose weight as your caloric deficit will be smaller.

I took a look at your diary and would suggest you change your goal to 1lb/week or 1.5 at most. Why you ask, well MFP has a built in floor of 1200, but that is intended for women, a man should not go under 1500 net (1500 before factoring in exercise).
  • swbmcknight
    Options
    As a dietician told me many years ago, eat the number of calories per day needed to maintain your ideal weight and eventually you will make it down to that weight.
    For me, it's 1200. The heavier you are, the faster the weight comes off. Once you get down closer to your ideal weight, it comes off much slower.
  • MattAxtell
    MattAxtell Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ahhh I see.

I have only lost 9.6 lbs.

I guess I will see this prompt on my next weigh in.

Thanks everyone!
  • ChristineM1953
    ChristineM1953 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I found that if you customize your goals, it won't change. But if you go in about every 10 pounds, and update, it will change to your new calorie intake.
  • MattAxtell
    Options
    yes, and MFP does. Every 10 lbs you lose MFP will ask you to recalculate your goal. I beleive caloric intake decreases by 10 cals for every pound lost. That said if you are at 1200 cals MFP will not adjust lower as it is a floor MFP will not cross for a few reasons. All this means is that if you keep eating 1200 your weight loss will be slightly slower as you lose weight as your caloric deficit will be smaller.

I took a look at your diary and would suggest you change your goal to 1lb/week or 1.5 at most. Why you ask, well MFP has a built in floor of 1200, but that is intended for women, a man should not go under 1500 net (1500 before factoring in exercise).

Why do you say I should change my goal?
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I found that if you customize your goals, it won't change. But if you go in about every 10 pounds, and update, it will change to your new calorie intake.

Exactly. Since I customized mine it does move.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

because you net calories are below 1500 calories, and if you do happen to lose weight much of it may come from muscle.
  • MattAxtell
    Options

because you net calories are below 1500 calories, and if you do happen to lose weight much of it may come from muscle.

Oh I guess I should have read your original post closer... I did not realize it was 1500 for men? I thought it was 1200 for men and women..

Thanks for the info
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    A 250lb lean person should eat more calories than a 150lb lean person, but a 250lb person who is carrying 100 extra pounds of fat does not need to eat more than a 150lb person who is lean.

You don't need to "feed your fat," only your lean body mass.