Light or Heavy??

whitneysaenz
whitneysaenz Posts: 125 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
Question for all of the women lifting weights...do you lift light or do you lift heavy?

In the past I would lift pretty light and put out a lot of reps.

I joined a new gym yesterday so I can workout with my husband and decided to lift heavy... I'm feeling it much more today. I was still able to get out 10-12 reps if not a few more.

I can't wait to see the changes and differences that this may bring.

Replies

• kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    I lift heavy weights. I think the whole low weight, high reps thing is a joke!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Heavy! The lightest I use are 5s, the heaviest 15s. I agree, I don't like low weight, high reps. Jillian Michaels says the perfect weight is one that you can't lift for more than 10-12 reps so that's what I've used as a basis for the last couple months and I've already noticed I'm getting stronger and can go up to the next weight in just a few times using them. I use 7.5 for bicep curls, hammer curls, and some overhead stuff, 5s for shoulders mostly and I use a lot of machines for my triceps and it's usually 25-30 lbs.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    i do heavy
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    I actually do a combination of both.
  • AmieCrawford
    AmieCrawford Posts: 9 Member
    I set a goal for myself that I liked 55lbs for arms and 100 lbs for legs and I have just been working on getting my reps up. I am up to two sets of 12-15 for arms (depending on machine) and 3 sets of 20 on legs. I think I am about to bump up the legs, considering they carry around my 200 lbs everyday :)
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    As heavy as possible... women have to work REALLY REALLY HARD to get buff like guys... and they lift like 200 pounds or more... so me lifting my 50-100 pounds isn't going to turn me into the hulk.... its a waste of time to lift light.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    If you can do more than 8-10 reps without any pain, it's too light.
  • I was talking to a personal trainer a few days ago who said that many reps with lighter weights or fewer reps with heavier weights works your body the same - it's all about you being able to feel that muscle fatigue when you're finished.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    I was talking to a personal trainer a few days ago who said that many reps with lighter weights or fewer reps with heavier weights works your body the same - it's all about you being able to feel that muscle fatigue when you're finished.

No wonder we're all confused!

The trainer that I had a session with on Monday said, heavier weight, less reps helps the muscle "progress". He said to use a weight that your're really pushing the last couple of reps. Once it gets easy to do the entire set, it's time to up the weight.
  • whitneysaenz
    whitneysaenz Posts: 125 Member
    I knew you ladies would all be on the same page!! I am loving the feeling from heavy lifting! I know I won't look like the Hulk or anything, but I can definitely feel it working and I am definitely pushing myself harder!
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    HEAVY!!!!!!

I lift with my husband...we mostly use free weights...I do 3 sets for each exercise and try to get 12 reps for each set...when I work up to 15 or 18 reps, I increase the weight. For example: dumbbell presses, I use 25 pound weights

Love lifting weights more than doing cardio! Learning to like cardio!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    One thing about lifting light, I have found from personal experience is this;

I have HUGE calves. and I wanted to reshape them so they weren't so bulky... so I started doing wieghts with my calfs at a lighter weight and it has really helped to shape them....

But I didn't do this until they were all muscle... if you have fat to lose around a certain body part.... then don't lift light... once its all toned and muscular and then you want to reshape it to be leaner (if you should choose to) then lift light.

I don't know if what I say is fact, or just my imagination, but my calves are much more feminine than they were before.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Heavy!!!!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    My trainer said the same thing as the post above. Weight doesn't matter. Lots of reps with little weights or a few reps with heavy weights. Muscle fatigue is muscle fatigue. ;)
  • iamthepreston
    iamthepreston Posts: 195 Member
    I was talking to a personal trainer a few days ago who said that many reps with lighter weights or fewer reps with heavier weights works your body the same - it's all about you being able to feel that muscle fatigue when you're finished.

First thing go and find a new trainer this guy doesn't have a clue what he is talking about. Most trainers don't.

Reps ranges 1-3 Power
    5-8 Size
    12+ Muscular Endurance.

Most people would benefit by staying in the 5-8 range for most all exercises. The more weight you can lift the better. Your goal should be too add weight everytime you exercise. You want to build muscle!!!!!!! Women don't worry you won't look like a man.

More Muscle the more CALORIES burned while your body is at rest.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    No offense, but my trainer is pretty well educated and said a similar thing.....
  • According to my "buff" friends, lifting light with a lot of reps will make you bigger, but lifting heavy with less reps will make you stronger. As I said, this is according to the guys that are all about getting huge, so I'm not 100% sure if it's correct. But, it seems to work for them :laugh:
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    I've found that most trainers are ignorant and they all tell you different things. That being said, I found that I get the best results lifting heavy in the 4-8 range. Now, if I would just keep my diet in check to lose this fat.
  • iamthepreston
    iamthepreston Posts: 195 Member
    No offense, but my trainer is pretty well educated and said a similar thing.....

You said your trainer said this " was talking to a personal trainer a few days ago who said that many reps with lighter weights or fewer reps with heavier weights works your body the same - it's all about you being able to feel that muscle fatigue when you're finished."

It definetely doesn't work your muscles the same. If he said that he is flat our wrong. Higher reps teach your body to become more efficient at using and creating energy stores. There will be no gain in muscular size.

Lifting in the 5-8 range to failure requires you to aactivate every muscle fiber available which results in increased size and strength.
  • I lift heavy weights with low reps (6-10 range). If you're lifting 12-15 reps, then you're definitely lifting in the low weight/high rep range.

Low weight/high rep and high weight/low rep will NOT give you the same results. Higher reps will work on your endurance while higher weight will work on your strength/muscle mass.
This discussion has been closed.