Tim Hortons Coffee Large Double Double 460 cals a day

Options
snowsquall
snowsquall Posts: 54 Member
I've been on this site for just less than two weeks and love the food breakdown and the calorie counting. I have noticed though that my daily intake of Timmies large double double twice a day is costing me 460 calories a day, empty calories that is,and I'm allowed 1700 a day not including any exercise. So today I've change to a medium 1 cream 1 sugar and now have shaved it down to 75 calories a cup for 150 calories a day. I'm hoping this does eventually show results down the road, I know it may seen anal tracking something like this but I think in the long run in a week this will leave over 2100 calories for better food choices. Down 30 lbs since November 25/10 and 6lbs in less than two weeks on this site. :smile:

Replies

• beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    It's not anal at all. It is those side calories that cause us to gain and stay heavier than we should be. Good for you for tracking and changing.
  • am_last10lbs
    am_last10lbs Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yikes! No Roll up the Rim is worth that many calories ;)

It's when I see those numbers that I am happy that I drink my Timmies black!
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    Not anal at all!! I had no idea how many calories I was eating prior to coming here. I didn't even pay attention. I am a vegetarian, and I know my diet was lacking in vital nutrients. This site has me really focusing on making sure I get enough iron, calcium, protein....Good job! :drinker:
  • trukkerdaddie
    trukkerdaddie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It's a common concern, lol. I switched from doubledouble to regular :drinker:
  • drroduran
    drroduran Posts: 23
    Options
    Nice job!! That's awesome...I love the tools on here too!:smile:
  • keylareed
    keylareed Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I really think that it is all of those little changes that make all the difference! You don't notice them as much but since 1 lb. of fat is equal to 3500 calories, you can lose over a half a lb. a week just making that one small change. Way to go!
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    ooh, that is a hard one. i don't drink timmies coffe, but i do love their iced capps, and i have not had a one since i started this cause i am too afraid to even look it up!! i remember when i worked there many years ago, one of the people i worked with told me the iced capps were the worst thing, over and above the donuts even. tg i am not a donut baker there anymore lol
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Yeah I'd definitely have to agree, not anal at all! I actually think a lot of people would be naturally at their goal weight if they didn't consume so many empty calories through their beverage choices. But if you can fit it in, and it's something you really enjoy, go for it! And good for you for looking into it and cutting it down =)
  • isabelk
    isabelk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I totally see your actions as smart and efficient with your allowance. it all adds up. Thanks for posting the topic.

I switched from 2% to nonfat in my 2 lattes a day with sugar. Then I switched the milk to sweetened soy, but didn't add sugar. Then I dropped to one latte a day. Now I have that latte with unsweetened soy milk. I don't think I could ever give up my one cup of coffee a day, but over two months I've gradually made changes that help me make the most of my 1200-1300 a day. My total calories are about the same but I'm making the most of them.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Snowsquall - congrats on changing your coffee habits! I know lots of people who would argue that's one of the hardest things to do. :)

CallejaFairey, the iced capps are really bad, but mostly if you get them made with cream. Using 1% skim milk, or 1% chocolate milk (my favourite!), will take 100 calories off the small size ice capp compared to the cream, and loses almost 10 grams of fat.
  • Brett_Alan
    Options
    I've switched from an iced mocha to sugar free vanilla ice coffee at mcdonalds it's only 120 calories for a large and I get my sweet tooth and caffeine handled at once .
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    A lot of Americans actually will find that a lot of us drink a ton of our calories each day. It's good that you caught this now and are making adjustments.
  • Laelee
    Laelee Posts: 36
    Options
    Good job on spotting that trickster cup of coffee! My Hubs drinks countless cups of them alllllll day long at work, I can't wait to tell him what the calorie count in ONE is,wow!
  • fouchou09
    fouchou09 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion, if you want that caffeine fix in a larger dose, I drink milk in my timmies. It took a bit to get used to it, but now that I do, when they put cream in by accident I almost gag! I also went from two sugars to one over time and again, two sugars is now way to sweet for me! (I was using splenda, which is even less calories, but a post here the other day and my own subsequent research turned me off for good!)
  • Bruce1077
    Options
    Unbelievable how many empty calories we drink in our coffees! I went from extra extra to fat free country creamer no sugar and cut out a ton of calories. I also love iced coffee in the afternoon and extra extra just puts on the extra extra pounds lol.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    lol its funny you should say that, I did not pay any attention to it either until mfp, I love timmies tea, and although I did not have any sugar in it the 2 milk still put it around 70 cals/cup so I opt to get it without milk and add my own skim milk when at work cutting it down to just 15 cals/cup. I started a mens group for diet/workout advice and what not also to have weekly challenges feel free to add me as a friend and join in on it.
  • Maghenta
    Maghenta Posts: 100
    Options
    I think that's very smart of you.... and that's one great thing about this Site.... It really helps you make Smarter choices about food... Keep it UP!!!!!! :smile:
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Not anal at all. I love me some coffee and I too noticed the large sum of calories for the day. I would do espresso, whole milk and 3 tea spoons of sugar. Got rid of the whole milk and am doing 1% now. Baby steps, baby steps.
  • lowpost42
    lowpost42 Posts: 49
    Options
    Squall, I was an XL 4x4 guy; who pared it down to XL double double, and it's now down to XL one sugar. I tried black, but just can't do it.

It's nuts to think that you can now have a cup of coffee and a can of coke for the same amount of calories!
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    I have never heard this expression, does it refer to the way disposable coffee cups are rolled along the top or something else?
    Yikes! No Roll up the Rim is worth that many calories ;)

It's when I see those numbers that I am happy that I drink my Timmies black!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!