Day One and Dying...

michelegbowman
michelegbowman Posts: 195
edited September 24 in Success Stories
It's day one of my diet and I'm dying...Ok, not dying really, just hungry and light headed. It's only 4:13 and I'm salivating thinking about dinner tonight.

How many days does it take to make a good habit? Seven? Anyone else out there just getting started ?

Michele

Replies

• are you eating every couple of hours? took me a few days to get used to smaller portions but it helped to eat more frequently
  • amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    The first few days are the hardest just stick with it! You can do it! If you are hungry then eat something....pick some low in calories, fruit or veggies are good.
  • SeaShell33
    SeaShell33 Posts: 141
    the better the food you choose, the more you get to eat. You should never be starving...good luck!:smile:
  • It may take a week or two to feel "normal." I've been at it since November, and still think about food a lot! But believe it or not, you will eventually (in a couple of months) start to feel like this is the new normal, and you really won't want more food! If you are absolutely starving, though, a small, protein-rich snack like a handful of nuts can help.
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    It doesn't take too long... just try to take in the 'healthy' stuff, like veggies, fruits, lean meats and whole grains... your body works better on that stuff! And drink plenty of water (I keep forgetting that one!)
    If it keeps happening to distraction check with your doctor, might be a sign of an underlying condition and there could be an easy fix!
  • Chrissy_Michelle
    Chrissy_Michelle Posts: 176 Member
    Make sure your lunches are packed with lowfat protein and high fiber...it will help..and drink a full glass of water when you feel hungry as well, maybe along with a piece of fruit! It gets easier :)
  • Myschelle
    Myschelle Posts: 101 Member
    Drink more water. That can help you feel fuller in between meals AND be sure you're eating your fiber. High fiber snacks, like an asian pear, will help you feel fuller longer. :happy: You made the hardest step, the first, now just put one foot in front of the other and keep going. You wouldn't want another "day one"....tomorrow will be better.
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    this is not a diet. its a lifestyle change. in the long run, it will be easier to maintain your weight. make sure you eat bkfste very morning. and try to have small snacks in between meals. you will always feel full satisfied. good luck!
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    I agree with Michelle. As long as you're making smart food choices, there's no reason you should be starving yourself. Eat frequently, just be sure that you're eating healthy, low-cal foods in reasonably-sized portions. I generally don't even allow myself to get hungry throughout the day because I'm grazing on small, healthy snacks regularly. For example, I'll have a banana and a granola bar in the morning, then an apple maybe 2 hours later, then maybe a 100-calorie bag of popcorn a while after that, then a decent-sized lunch, then another small snack--maybe a piece of fruit and a couple of rice cakes, then another banana and sometimes another granola bar before I go to the gym, and finally a decent-sized dinner when I get home from the gym.

Hope this helps.
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    You might want to start with a 1lb a week loss and then work your way up to 2lbs a week.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    It took me two weeks to develop an alternative level of "fullness". You will read your food log two weeks from now and say, "how much did I eat back then??" it will seem like another life. I've been on here 35 days (this go around) but I found old food logs from last July when I tried this the first time, and I couldn't believe I even considered those foods acceptable. It just takes time. Exercise helps distract you, and drinking water helps too. Don't be afraid to eat a few too many calories the first few weeks. But WHAT you eat is very important!
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Try to start your day off with protein. Then like others have said eat snacks between meals to keep from getting so hungry. I usually shoot for a 100-200 calorie snack. Cheese sticks and few Triscuits are good or in the beginning I ate some oatmeal as a snack...the instant packs...but I used plain and added some Splenda to it to sweeten it. Didn't want the extra sugar. I try to not have the artificial sweetner now but haven't eliminated it completely. My new favorite is cottage cheese and crackers.
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Stop dying right now.

How many calories are you eating? Be sure you don't go below 1200. Also, if you exercise, add those calories to your 1200.
    Be sure to eat evenly spaced meals and make sure the calories are even-ish too ( like, don't eat 100 cals one meal, and then 400 the next) if you stay consistent, you won't find you get as hungry and your metabolism will keep chuggin along.

You can do this!!
  • lyndseah
    lyndseah Posts: 1
    When I first start my diets, I steam an entire bag of mixed vegetables, add some himalayan crystal salt, and then snack on that all day in between meals at work (usually a bite or two every 30-45 minutes). It will get your metabolism going, and will keep you from becoming light headed. The entire bag is only around 250 calories, and as the days go by, and your body gets used to having less calories, you can cut it down to about half a bag.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    There are alot of variations of Michelle on this post... lol :tongue:
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    You could take a different approach. When I started I didn't "diet". I started tracking what I ate every day and how much I exercised. That way I learned what I am actually eating - and seeing what I'd weigh in 5 weeks. That was motivation for me. Over time (45 days so far) I've been able to find out things that I eat normally that aren't so calorie heavy and what to avoid. I also tried to incorporate more veggies when I'm hungry. Or cheese and crackers. Personally, when I start to think "diet" it gets really hard for me. But when I just look at it as more of a life change of how I am normally, it just seems a little better. Good luck.
  • I keep 100 calorie snacks at my desk in case I get hungry at work. I have both sweet and salty, depending on what I happen to be craving. Also, the individual cups of applesauce are great because you eat it with a spoon and it's more time consuming. Somehow taking my tie to eat that satisfies my hunger/craving more than just quickly scarfing down a 100 calorie pack of cheddar crackers. (But I still "scarf" from time to time...)
  • Ampierce
    Ampierce Posts: 53 Member
    When I first started, I remember being hungry all of the time. I found a couple of tricks that helped keep me honest the first week. If you are a sweet eater, you might try a piece or two of hard candy, which also helps if you have low blood sugar. I like salty food much more so I make boullion broth to help keep me full or tea with a little sweetener. Hope this helps and good luck!
  • Exactly drink more water. This is my first week, and out of all the days today is the day I am feeling my tummy growl. But drinking water and it seems to help..

If u need more try eating veggies, I was told by the trainer at the gym.. eat veggies..

Good luck you can do it
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    I'm so hungry right now and it is 100% psychological, its day one and I've had big helathy meals but this is the time I snack usually (after dinner UK time) - hence coming on here to distract myself!!
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!