Hey girls, I have a question!

Options
How the heck do you find the motivation to work out when AF shows up? I have KILLER cramps and all I want to do is lay on the couch :(

Replies

• JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    crazy as it sounds I actually feel better after working out and I'd rather burn cals then pop pamprin :)
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I just don't! I eat all sorts of garbage, get bloated, and figure whats the point. Crappy attitude I know but it's only a day or 2 a month then I am ready to go again!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    I don't.

:laugh:

Okay, that's not true. I've just been slacking on TOM days. I get up and make as much effort as I can. I force myself to ride my bike 15 minutes in one direction away from my house. That way, no matter how much I hate it, I have to ride the fifteen minutes back. Voila! 30-minute workout. :tongue:
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    It's actually pretty widely accepted that movement helps ease cramps
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    I have noticed that since I have been working out consistantly, they are getting better do not hurt as much!!

I have also found that it is hard to start, but once I get going I feel better and I don't want to stop moving. I also like to try doing stuff at home sometimes when that happens, I just feel more comfortable. I also know that I am going to want to eat some extra snacks, and the only way that I would justify giving in is to workout.

Good luck and I hope you find the motivation, and if not, maybe a rest day is in order. Feel better soon!
  • zoe021601
    zoe021601 Posts: 63
    Options
    I'm not having a problem with eating junk, so I guess that's good. But it's just the thought of working out makes me want to puke!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I too feel about a million times better if I get an easy run in and stay super hydrated. I do scale back my workouts, take it easy, etc. But doing without them is almost torturous.
  • WillWorkout4Food
    WillWorkout4Food Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Walking helps relieve cramping. It doesn't happen right away but about a mile into a two mile walk your muscle lossen up. I always hate when I am on the right track and then BAM, I'm cut. =)

Stay positive and resist the food that your bottom half is craving. At least it's less than a week.

Best of Luck!

Chris
  • lotty1987
    lotty1987 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I tend to find if I do a little exercise even if its just a trip to the shops for ten minutes I feel a lot better plus i use a magnet on the inside of my panties that helps loads too
  • dababers
    dababers Posts: 135
    Options
    Absolutely hate AF. It makes you retain 3-6 pounds of water weight, and let's not even start on the cramps. I just put on extra protection and push through. The exercise really does help with the cramps. Look at it that way. Over time, they might even lessen. Almost at menopause and wish it would hurry up and get here.
  • meggonkgonk
    Options
    I'm not having a problem with eating junk, so I guess that's good. But it's just the thought of working out makes me want to puke!

Two days a month without working out really shouldn't be a problem. If you feel that crappy, skip it. Cals in vs cals out is the bottom line- exercise is just icing on the proverbial cake.
  • TiffanyRMiller
    TiffanyRMiller Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just force myself to do it. Seems to help ease my cramping. Good luck!
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    For me its knowing that a good workout actually helps relieve some of the PMS symptoms! A good sweat makes me feel less bloated, it gets the endorphins going which helps my mood, and getting up and moving takes my mind of wanting to snack!
  • Nelly711
    Nelly711 Posts: 52
    Options
    Actually, with my "clean nutrition" and all my water intake, it was actually a pain free cycle!!! I felt nothing, no bloating, cramping or misery at all!!! I don't know if that's why, but I'm sure my mind over matter before with I need caffeine and chocolate contributed to alot of it!
  • in_it_2_win_it
    Options
    I work out when I get my TOM.. cause it helps me from forgetting why I am even doing it in the first place.. yes I don't eat well during.. but I still work out.. it helps your muscles...
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    How the heck do you find the motivation to work out when AF shows up? I have KILLER cramps and all I want to do is lay on the couch :(

Always found brisk walking to help keep cramps away.
  • zoe021601
    Options
    I did a couple ten minute pilates workouts. But I'm on level 2 of the 30 Day Shred and I just don't know if I could make it through it today!
  • meggonkgonk
    Options
    I tend to find if I do a little exercise even if its just a trip to the shops for ten minutes I feel a lot better plus i use a magnet on the inside of my panties that helps loads too

...magnet? Am I being obtuse? How does a magnet help? (I mean they arent exactly absorbent... :laugh: )
  • luvbugsmom
    luvbugsmom Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    When I would get cramps, for some reason when I worked out (mainly cardio) the pain of the cramps goes away!!! I also use a tummy wrap that helps out a lot!!!
  • zoe021601
    Options
    Absolutely hate AF. It makes you retain 3-6 pounds of water weight, and let's not even start on the cramps. I just put on extra protection and push through. The exercise really does help with the cramps. Look at it that way. Over time, they might even lessen. Almost at menopause and wish it would hurry up and get here.

*DING DING DING* Ok, you mentioning the 3-6 pounds of water weight just motivated me!