Fresh Basil

Options
SaraEWrig
SaraEWrig Posts: 88 Member
I just returned from Trader Joe's where I bought a whole carton of fresh basil leaves. What would YOU do with fresh basil?

I'm thinking mozzarella and crackers. . LOVE basil. . .mmmm.

Replies

• sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Brushetta! Or make little mini pizzas and it put it on there... or in salads... or in a wrap with chicken and tomatoes... I LOVE fresh basil!
  • melischemitz
    melischemitz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I make little appetizers- a toothpick with one cherry tomato, a small ball of the fresh mozzarella and a basil leaf. Dip or drizzle with some balsamic, very yummy and healthy. Also basil goes great in pasta dishes with shrimp or chicken, some lemon, pine nuts, and it also works in lots of asian dishes.
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    I would likely use it in salads, wraps and with some tomatoes and a little balsamic!
  • p1xelate
    p1xelate Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Panini's Yum! At some point I am going to try an open face one in the toaster oven to save a little calories -Mozarella, tomato, fresh basil and a little salt. My favorite!!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Pesto! pound in a mortar with some garlic, olive oil and grated parmesan.

Use to stir through cooked pasta, or to smear on pork chops before grilling, or spread on ciabatta bread with some haloumi...
  • AngiMoss
    AngiMoss Posts: 77
    Options
    I buy greek flat bread & throw it on a cookie sheet, a little olive oil, basil, tomato, some shredded low fat mozzarella and cook for 8-10 minutes (400 degree oven).

This recipe is also AWESOME...I've made it several times and it's always a hit:
    http://shadesofjaim.com/recipes/capresericesalad.html

Alternately, you can do the same thing with pasta, instead of rice.
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    PESTO!! Mmmm...just basil leaves, garlic, olive oil, pine nuts, and parmesan. Food processor. Serve over anything!
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    this is an awesome recipe for Tilapia if you like these kind of fish but I've found that the mixture works on chicken and Salmon also.

PARMESAN TILAPIA

Sea Best - 3 oz Individual Tilapia Fillets, 32.01 oz
    Belgioioso - Parmesan Cheese (Hard), 4 oz (28 g), grated
    Valu Time - Sweet Cream Butter, 8 Tbsp., softened
    Kraft - Miracle Whip Light Salad Dressing, 3 Tbsp
    Generic - Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice, 1 fluid ounce
    Tone's - Ground Black Pepper, 1 tsp.
    Tone's - Garlic Powder, 2 Tbsp
    Mccormick - Basil, Dried, 1 Tbsp or fresh
    Mccormick's - Celery Salt, 2 tsp
    Adams - Onion Powder, 2 Tbsp

INGREDIENTS Mix Parmesan cheese, butter (softened ), miracle whip, fresh lemon juice, dried basil , ground black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder & celery salt together and set aside.

DIRECTIONS Preheat your oven's broiler. Place Tilapia fillets on broiling pan or line pan with aluminum foil. Arrange fillets in a single layer on the prepared pan. Broil a few inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the fillets over and broil for a couple more minutes. Remove the fillets from the oven and cover them with the Parmesan cheese mixture on the top side. Put back in oven and broil for 2 more minutes or until the topping is browned and fish flakes easily with a fork. Be careful not to overcook the fish.
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I like to roll up about 8 leaves and cut them on a angle so they turn into ribbon cuts, I add some mince garlic, paprika and cook it with chicken breast.
    I drizzle EVOO over my chicken and then add the above items. Great flavor!!
  • gokate1
    gokate1 Posts: 40
    Options
    MAKE PESTO!
    Or make a sandwich with mozzarella cheese, tomato slices, and 100 calorie bread