Wedding dress question! Help ladies!

Options
Hello Ladies!
I recently got engaged. We just reserved our venue for 7/14/12, so one year and four months until my wedding day. I'm the first of my family and close friends to plan a wedding, so I know nothing about it. I was reading online and it seems that most people suggest buying a dress at least 9 months in advance. I've been working my tail off lately and dropping lbs like crazy. I've gone down two sizes in the past 3 months. I'm worried about buying a dress 9 months in advance and then going down sizes before the wedding. Should I just begin maintenance mode after purchasing the dress? I was unsure of how much a dress can be altered or taken in. None the less, purchasing the dress 9 months before the wedding still leaves me 7 months to get closer to the weight I want to be on my wedding day. Thank you in advance for any advice :)

Replies

• watervillevalley
    Options
    It's much better to have your dress too big than too small. They can take a dress in right up to the week you have the wedding if necessary especially if you know the seamstress. I wouldn't worry about it. Get the dress that fits at the time you try it on and then have it altered sometime before the wedding with a final check and fitting 2 weeks before the wedding.
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I purchased my dress in June of last year and my wedding is June of this year. They highly suggested that I purchase the gown that fit me at the time of purchase because it is easier to take up than to add material. I have lost about 20 pounds since then and the lady doing my alterations says it won't be a problem. My dress is a fitted style with a zipper, but if you find the corset style you can go up or down several sizes and it won't make a difference because the back ties up. Good luck finding your dress!
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I got married in August...and I never heard that about buying your wedding dress that early. I went through David's Bridal online, and got it like 3 months in advance...which I would suggest. For alterations they needed 5 weeks, otherwise you had to pay an extra "rush" fee.

Also...if you get a dress online, go with your gut in terms of size. I measured myself, and it said I should get a size 12. I've NEVER worn a 12 in my life, but I figured they would know best...so that's what I got. When it came, it wouldn't even stay up. It cost like $100 just for the alterations! If their site had been accurate, I wouldn't have needed that.

So...good luck! And expect to pay a lot in alterations :) I think that's their plan to make extra money :)
  • swbmcknight
    Options
    You definitly don't need to buy your dress 9 months in advance. As long as the person doing your alterations has 3-4 months I'd say. I bought my dress 3 weeks before my wedding and my mom shortened it for me in a few days. I would call a few of the dress shops you are interested in and ask them how long their alterations department generally takes. Explain to them your situation and I'm sure they will be happy to work with you. At most you may need to pay more for "quickie" alterations. I think the magazines give 9 months in case you change your mind and choose a different dress altogether.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you're buying your dress. If you're getting it from a place like David's Bridal you don't have to get it very far in advance. I got mine only a couple weeks before my wedding because I was pregnant. If you're going to a high end boutique with custom made designer gowns you'll need to order it 6-9 months in advance.
  • tmarie1213
    tmarie1213 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your engagement! Too bad you live in Texas though, my boyfriend is a DJ and has done plenty of weddings! We're in Washington State though. But yes, about the dress, get one that fits at the time of purchase and it can be altered more than once, so don't worry about if you lose more weight between buying the dress and your big day.
  • KansasGal
    KansasGal Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    i am going through a similar situation except i am getting married in april of 2012. i am not going dress shopping until november of this year. find out what the alterations department of where u buy the store recommends. sometimes they have time to do a "crunch" job!
  • kwoj09
    kwoj09 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    A dress with a corset back can give or take a size, if that's a kind of style you'd like.
  • cohollywood
    Options
    A lot of times, it does take a long long time for them to get a dress in. I would definitely go with the 9 month suggestion, but, go look 12 months in advanced. Some specialty stores/designers can take that long!

Personally, I would try and get to my goal weight before that happens - but I know that's not always healthy/possible. My sis-in-law dropped 15 pounds just from stress before her wedding and spent as much on her alterations as she did on her dress! EEK!!
    Good luck and Congrats!
  • Xandi
    Xandi Posts: 319
    Options
    Buy the dress now, easier to take the dress in than to try and add to it.
    As for any other wedding questions I would be glad to help in anyway I can, I just got married in July '10, and feel like everything was going crazy before the wedding trying to get everything done.
  • IMDABOMBthe0wife0DABEAST
    Options
    I didnt have the opportunity to purchase my dress that far in advance. I was engaged in May 2010 and we got married in October. I had to pay a rush order fee to get my dress on time but it was well worth it. Only minor alterations were needed for the length. My dress was a corsett style and I ordered 1 size smaller than my measurements. I lost 30 additional lbs after I placed the order and I could have gone down 1 additional size, because my dress was laced completely closed. Alterations are costly, but you want your special day to be perfect.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I bought my dress in September 2007 and got married in June 2008...so that was 9 months...but it just hung in my closet till I went in for my first fitting in April 2008

I would say it depends if you are going someplace like David's Bridal where you purchase of the rack or someplace fancier where they will order a specially made dress that might take 2 months to come in

so the helpful answer is...it depends!!!!

EDIT: and I agree with the person that mentioned a corset type dress that laces up in the back...MUCH MORE forgiving for losing weight!!!!!!!
  • jenni3001
    jenni3001 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Dresses are delivered at different times and it depends on where you go. I heard horror stories by five people I know about David's Bridal so I refused to go there. I chose a boutique near my house and yes, I ordered it 10 months in advanced because they said it would take 6 to come in and I'm neurotic so I do everything early. i did lose some weight but it was easy to take the dress in. My advice, get the dress in the size you are and if it needs to be taken in then that's fine, but its harder to let it out. I had my final fitting a week before the wedding. They know what they're doing. Also, don't be surprised when you end up buying your dress about two sizes bigger than your normal dress size. All wedding gowns run small. I actually cried when I had to buy a size 10 but the woman laughed at me and said that wedding gowns always run two sizes too small. I hope this helps!!
  • Journey32
    Options
    I would say purchase it 5 months before. You should be able to find something that fits and is beautiful. I would continue to workout but not over do it.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite problem. I found a dress that I loved and bought it a year or more in advance. I had gained weight, but by the time of the alterations, I was back to the weight I was when I bought the dress. However, in that year's time, my body shape had changed though I was still the same weight. They would've had to completely change the look of the dress for it to fit and it would have costed more than buying a new dress. So, now I have two wedding dresses...the one I wore and will always keep, and the one that my mom has been trying to sell on Craigslist for over a year (David's Bridal won't do returns or exchanges).

I say wait. Even though it's a lot easier to have the dress taken in than out, they also said that having to take it in too much it can alter the look of the dress to where you don't like it anymore. I know this because at the time I bought the dress I thought I was going to lose all this weight and have the dress taken in.
  • Ekaette07
    Ekaette07 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm not a bride, but I do dabble in wedding planning. I would say if your still trying to lose weight, then buy the dress 7-5 months before the wedding. My reasoning behond this is two fold. First, is because you don't want to be looking for a dress so close before your wedding. It's an added stressor and sometimes the dress plays such a major role in what you want your wedding to look like you need it before hand. Secondly, buying the dress at the size you are is good, but you don't want it to get it to big because the more the dress has to be taken in, the more the alterations costs. One of my brides who is getting married in September (she's also my bff), bought her dress in August 2010; her wedding is September 2011. She is small, like a size 2 small, but the dress that she fell in love with was on sale for $300 and a size 6. We bought the dress, but now we're looking at a potential $500 to get the dress altered to fit her.

Similarly, and not nearly as important, but I am the maid of honor (and wedding planner) for the wedding. I'm trying to lose as much weight as I can by June-July so that I can buy a maid of honor dress. After I buy the dress and get any minor alterations needed, I'm probabl going to go into maintainence mood until after the wedding in which case I'll resume losing.

I hope this helps some! Congrats on your engagement!!
  • mkraemer91
    mkraemer91 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Ah! Thank you SO MUCH everyone. Awesome advice! It's such a relief to hear that dresses are easily altered and it can be done quickly. I'll plan on purchasing the dress in the size that fits when I buy it, and having alterations done as needed. A dress with a corset back is also an awesome suggestion. Ya'll have totally put my mind at ease :) I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be around the weight I want to be before I buy my dress. Talk about motivation!
  • cohollywood
    Options
    I think I had the same dress as you!
    I had the opposite problem. I found a dress that I loved and bought it a year or more in advance. I had gained weight, but by the time of the alterations, I was back to the weight I was when I bought the dress. However, in that year's time, my body shape had changed though I was still the same weight. They would've had to completely change the look of the dress for it to fit and it would have costed more than buying a new dress. So, now I have two wedding dresses...the one I wore and will always keep, and the one that my mom has been trying to sell on Craigslist for over a year (David's Bridal won't do returns or exchanges).

I say wait. Even though it's a lot easier to have the dress taken in than out, they also said that having to take it in too much it can alter the look of the dress to where you don't like it anymore. I know this because at the time I bought the dress I thought I was going to lose all this weight and have the dress taken in.
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    I dont know how much you want to lose, but please keep in mind that if they have to take the dress in more than two sizes, it can change the look of the dress (depending on the syle of dress). I would suggest waiting. They can get you your dress in time, dont let them fool you!! Unless, as I said, you dont plan on losing that much weight. Another tip, if you buy from David's, get your dress and leave. No mateer what they tell you, dont get your alterations done there. They will measure you bigger than you are so you will have to pay them for alterations. So just buy your dress and take it somehwere else. Feel free to friend me. I planned my own wedding and was a big part of planning 4 others. If you have any questions about etiquette, showers, etc, send me a message!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I got married in 2005 (seems like yesterday). I ordered mine 6 months in advance but started shopping about 3 months before that. It took me awhile to figure out what I wanted in a dress...I knew what I wanted to look like on my wedding day - but I didn't know if it was possible... the whole body image thing.

9 months before my wedding I had a dress in mind that was "pretty". In my mind it was my wedding dress... but I didn't order it because I was losing weight,. When I went back to try it on at 6 months out... I didn't feel as good in it as I thought I did. In fact, I felt frumpy in it. Over those 3 months I had lost 25 lbs, my body image had changed along with my size and I was no longer willing to settly for "pretty"... I wanted to knock his socks off. And I did. I was still a "fat bride" - but I looked really good to my husband.

Get an idea of what you like - but keep an open mind.